What's new
What's new

Sticky coolant issue possibly solved, sticky oil arriving on the stock

laminar-flow

Stainless
Years ago we started using Hangsterfer's 5030 in the mill and after a few years we noticed the chips would stick on surfaces and a sticky residue would be left on surfaces. We just dealt with it and after a thorough clean up a year ago, we started to get the sticky issue again. Recently, I though about the production parts we started to run, just about the same time the stickiness started. These parts are pre-cut 6061, .750" square and 1.380 long. To date we have run about 3000 of these parts through the machine in three years. Last week I noticed the sticky stuff on a spot on the machine where we just started placing the stock before going in the fixture. Another thing that made me think of this is six months ago we switched to 5030 in the lathe and we do not see the sticky residue. The pre-cut stock doesn't have any visible residue on them but do feel a bit sticky when handled. I called the supplier of the pre-cut parts and found that they are using a seed oil based coolant in the saw. I am thinking that the seed oil residue is left on the stock and the Hangsterfer's washes it off and it gets suspended in the 5030 and deposits on the surfaces. It is not like way oil or anything like that. It tries sticky.

We are now pre-cleaning the pre-cut stock with detergent. We tried Dawn and Simple Green but it does not cut what we are assuming is seed oil residue as well as we would like.

So now to a question, what would be the best detergent and method to clean off the seed oil residue? Alcohol and acetone don't work that great. Goof-off works the best.

Try to imagine the lip on your container of linseed oil or poppyseed oil. It is that kind of sticky stuff. Or the oil residue that collects on the range hood after a month of cooking with olive and canola oil.

Does anyone else recognize this issue? I can't be the only one.

Thanks for looking and hope this helps others with this issue.

Try an ultrasonic with Simple Green for now.

Convince your supplier to not use their seed-oil on your stock. Tell them the crops came it, it was all Mary Jane, and you got raided by the Feds.

Instead of fighting the seed oil residue find a vendor who uses conventional coolant. You might pay more for the material but that will be offset by the savings from eliminating the cleaning operation.

Why do you think that vegetable based coolant is un-conventional? Anyway, using another source is not an option because we have boxes of cut material yet to run through the machine. Anyway, as of last week, it looks like that was the issue as the coolant is cleaning up.

Why do you think that vegetable based coolant is un-conventional? Anyway, using another source is not an option because we have boxes of cut material yet to run through the machine. Anyway, as of last week, it looks like that was the issue as the coolant is cleaning up.

I worked at a place that had a hot water aqueous washer that really cleaned the parts and didn't use solvents or nasty stuff. Had rotating tables, high pressure jets and a timer too. They came and flushed it out every 2-3 months. Might be worth looking into. I think it's "Crystal-Clean."

Update on the coolant. The mill, where all the sticky parts were being run, is cleaning up. The lathe coolant, where the stock in question are not run, is staying quite nice.

So lesson learned is check stock and when possible wash stock before using in the machine.

Coolant used is Hangsterfer's 5030 at 3%. We have a few end mills two years old that are still like new cutting aluminum. So I can recommend this coolant as it stays clean and does not smell.

To be more specific, there is a 4.2 multiplier on the refractometer for Hangsterfer's 5030.

2 on the refractometer gives about 8% (general machining)
3 on the refractometer gives 12% (heavy machining)

We usually run between 2.5 to 3.0 on the refractometer.

To be more specific, there is a 4.2 multiplier on the refractometer for Hangsterfer's 5030.

2 on the refractometer gives about 8% (general machining)
3 on the refractometer gives 12% (heavy machining)

We usually run between 2.5 to 3.0 on the refractometer.

I did a quick check and didnt see 5030 listed on their website, but they did mention 5040?

Charles

Years ago we started using Hangsterfer's 5030 in the mill and after a few years we noticed the chips would stick on surfaces and a sticky residue would be left on surfaces. We just dealt with it and after a thorough clean up a year ago, we started to get the sticky issue again. Recently, I though about the production parts we started to run, just about the same time the stickiness started. These parts are pre-cut 6061, .750" square and 1.380 long. To date we have run about 3000 of these parts through the machine in three years. Last week I noticed the sticky stuff on a spot on the machine where we just started placing the stock before going in the fixture. Another thing that made me think of this is six months ago we switched to 5030 in the lathe and we do not see the sticky residue. The pre-cut stock doesn't have any visible residue on them but do feel a bit sticky when handled. I called the supplier of the pre-cut parts and found that they are using a seed oil based coolant in the saw. I am thinking that the seed oil residue is left on the stock and the Hangsterfer's washes it off and it gets suspended in the 5030 and deposits on the surfaces. It is not like way oil or anything like that. It tries sticky.

We are now pre-cleaning the pre-cut stock with detergent. We tried Dawn and Simple Green but it does not cut what we are assuming is seed oil residue as well as we would like.

So now to a question, what would be the best detergent and method to clean off the seed oil residue? Alcohol and acetone don't work that great. Goof-off works the best.

Try to imagine the lip on your container of linseed oil or poppyseed oil. It is that kind of sticky stuff. Or the oil residue that collects on the range hood after a month of cooking with olive and canola oil.

Does anyone else recognize this issue? I can't be the only one.

Thanks for looking and hope this helps others with this issue.

sticky stuff sometimes cleans with citrous based cleaners... some coolants are made for certain cleaner additives
that probably should try first as some stuff effects coolant how it behaves. warning literally certain "cleaners" can
dissolve rubber o-rings and seals and cause problems months later
sodium hydroxide caustic (in water) especially hot is extremely
nasty. it dissolves organic matter including skin and eyeballs. when on skin it feels slimy cause your skin is
dissolving. some use milder versions like sodium carbonate in water (often called washing soda or dry laundry detergent)
Caustic dissolves aluminum. if left in caustic it will dissolve or get smaller od, bigger id, etc
warning when ALL oil is removed from steel, exposure to hot water (to remove caustic) will quickly cause rust

Back