What's new
What's new

Old Fashioned Metalworking - Not in the USA

Big B

Diamond
I was watching a video of some crushers and shredders making usable scrap out of everything from cell phones to whole cars and after it was done this video came up of a rim repair shop that was obviously not in the USA.

Pretty amazing the conundrum of watching shredders in the USA shredding what looked to be good aluminum auto wheels and then seeing the lengths that people will go through in some places to save a smashed wheel.

I could understand it if it was some rare Ferrari wheel but this wheel that they fixed didn't look like anything special. Maybe it was military grade aluminum allory.

Also of note was the confidence that the repair guy had in his repair. When he put a tire on and aired it up he kneeled right in front of it. I'm pretty sure that I'd be at least standing alongside of it if not back by the compressor turning the air valve on.

Hopefully a metal working thread will be OK in this section.

Amazing Technique of Repairing Broken Allory Rim | Restoration Old Alloy Rim of Car - YouTube

I enjoy those videos. I saw one where a guy repaired a pinion gear from a large truck by building up the broke off teeth with a stick welder and then finishing them with an angle grinder and tiger paw wheel! lol Incredible.

Welding broken gear teeth is an old time bodge.....it barely worked in the days a truck was 95hp.......it doesnt work for more than a few hours running with a 300hp engine........ive done it myself to get a truck mobile for a few weeks to finish a job.......I also worked for a machinery dealer who regularly resorted to stuff like that.....he had a ne'er do well nephew manage the yard....he never went there in daylight hours...Wise precaution.

I saw this video a couple of weeks ago and decided to share it here. It involves several different kinds of metalworking and it is pretty obviously not in the USA so it seems like a good fit here.

But this thread only got a measly two replies. Which seems pretty odd for a machining site. Of course the fact that it was me that posted it may have had something to do with it but then there was another of my posts that got brought back from the dead so the trumpers could trash it and get it closed, which did happen.

Maybe the folks posting here aren't interested in metalworking or they already think they know everything about metalworking.

It is a pretty good video and I learned some things from it. I'm still left wondering about the rod that they used to weld an aluminum rim with a torch flame. Maybe it's the same stuff that I see advertisements for and have seen at flea markets. Whatever it is must be pretty strong to be able to be bent and still not let loose from the parent metal.

I saw this video a couple of weeks ago and decided to share it here. It involves several different kinds of metalworking and it is pretty obviously not in the USA so it seems like a good fit here.

But this thread only got a measly two replies. Which seems pretty odd for a machining site. Of course the fact that it was me that posted it may have had something to do with it but then there was another of my posts that got brought back from the dead so the trumpers could trash it and get it closed, which did happen.

Maybe the folks posting here aren't interested in metalworking or they already think they know everything about metalworking.

It is a pretty good video and I learned some things from it. I'm still left wondering about the rod that they used to weld an aluminum rim with a torch flame. Maybe it's the same stuff that I see advertisements for and have seen at flea markets. Whatever it is must be pretty strong to be able to be bent and still not let loose from the parent metal.
If you did not know probably they copy us, its been done in los angeles for decades, I deal with a
shop that does same thing, with powder as well automobile paint to restore to authentic finish
they do amazing job, They use a more expensive and faster hyd, frame to fix bend all hydro. quick
a thousand dollar wheel gets restore for $300,some people don't want to buy whole new set or think is
unique what they ride on, this operation is 28 man, mini factory, I mill same product and when make
mistakes like program goof, or machine goof and over cut some features, they add missing chunk 6061
weld rod and after clear coat finish you don't see discoloration that saves a $ 400 forging. my error
can be $60 to 80, but saves me a lot .

If you did not know probably they copy us, its been done in los angeles for decades, I deal with a
shop that does same thing, with powder as well automobile paint to restore to authentic finish
they do amazing job, They use a more expensive and faster hyd, frame to fix bend all hydro. quick
a thousand dollar wheel gets restore for $300,some people don't want to buy whole new set or think is
unique what they ride on, this operation is 28 man, mini factory, I mill same product and when make
mistakes like program goof, or machine goof and over cut some features, they add missing chunk 6061
weld rod and after clear coat finish you don't see discoloration that saves a $ 400 forging. my error
can be $60 to 80, but saves me a lot .

Do you weld rims with a torch flame right on the puddle? If so what kind of rod are you using for that?

I'd love to see some before and after pictures of your work.

Do you weld rims with a torch flame right on the puddle? If so what kind of rod are you using for that?

I'd love to see some before and after pictures of your work.

I do not, that company does re-furbish just happen is the place everybody love, for their
superior quality, I am just one of their customers for the better part of 20 yrs.
I don't think have a website because they have the market they go by LAX WHL REFINISHING
I don't know how to upload pictures to this forum, but yesterday repaired machining error
we only do machining of forged wheel components, but always not matter what there are mistakes
ether endmill brakes inside cut and messes up, way to fix is weld, my machine had a failing
inverter and broke 3 endmills, and since spindle stop for a second and axis kept moving
damage a part but weldable.

Here are several shops doing that stuff, seems is very good way of making your living
capital investment low, old big manual lathe, welder, and the hydraulic puller, several
years back was 14k, but quick job, made in Michigan, i say to myself why didn't think of that
rather then cnc, machines expensive and return its not there, other guys make a ton of money without
going to this hassle of 200 dls endmills, and repair $2400 for use fadal inverter, so i gave you hint
how to mint money in your area.

I think that a lot of the videos are "made for TV" ,since most of them get millions of hits,and seems the really major bodge ones are owned by some syndicate...........as for ally wheels.....the guys who got my yard now export container loads of ally wheels to Pakistan and the Gulf for couple of dollars each.....they dont export tyres though....dont know the reason.......but I do know he sold me a set of near new tyres for my pickup for $30 each fitted ,(but I did have to take my old ones back......tyre disposal costs more than a tyre...ts a regulated waste /govt licensed.)

There is a video of welding up broken ring lands on a piston...which Im calling BS on..........piston is out of a turbo diesel ,probably a Hino truck,and there is no way anyone would use a welded up one......his welding process is suspect ,to say the least...an oxy cutting torch melting the broken area,and adding filler......which cant be done due to oxide inclusions in the weld deposit.......diesel piston alloys are quite difficult to weld due to high copper content....tig requited.

In among the BS videos are a series of making parts for what seems to me to be a 3 cylinder diesel tractor engine of around 350cu in (5x6).....and in some of the videos there are proper machines such as crankshaft grinders working on part machined forged crank blanks....There is also a genuine video of forging a truck axle using a 1 ton B&S Massey hammer......They are using some kind of scrap shafting of around 3" dia for raw material...Truck axles that size would normally be 4140,but 1050 is satisfactory .

I think that a lot of the videos are "made for TV" ,since most of them get millions of hits,and seems the really major bodge ones are owned by some syndicate...........as for ally wheels.....the guys who got my yard now export container loads of ally wheels to Pakistan and the Gulf for couple of dollars each.....they dont export tyres though....dont know the reason.......but I do know he sold me a set of near new tyres for my pickup for $30 each fitted ,(but I did have to take my old ones back......tyre disposal costs more than a tyre...ts a regulated waste /govt licensed.)
Australian made for export?
I did not that you guys have ally wheels foundries there, had a customer australian that came
to america to send his china made wheels, bought a us brand to export to australia, i ask him why not
make his product there and said no much manufacturing going on, more expensive than made here usa.
for tyre all goodyear, so china to usa then to australia .

The repairs shown are total shit jobs, at best they will fail in short order, the rest will kill...why are you so easy fooled into thinking this is a usable repair? do not be impressed, the job sucks...

I'm not saying that I'm going to run out and buy a set of those repaired rims but after seeing all of the bending that they did after welding it looks like if it was going to fail it would do it then.

It does seem like a lot of labor for a cheap wheel but it must be labor is a lot cheaper there than in the USA.

I challenge you to post a before and after pictures of any repair that you have done that was that challenging and also turned out better.

I'm not saying that I'm going to run out and buy a set of those repaired rims but after seeing all of the bending that they did after welding it looks like if it was going to fail it would do it then.

It does seem like a lot of labor for a cheap wheel but it must be labor is a lot cheaper there than in the USA.

I challenge you to post a before and after pictures of any repair that you have done that was that challenging and also turned out better.

Of course labour is cheaper there than in USA, no unions.

Of course labour is cheaper there than in USA, no unions.

I have bought 6 brand new vehicles, 5 non union, 1 union made. Guess which one hands down was the biggest pile of garbage? Also the union made one was the newest and it was a GM product. My local mom & pop auto parts store loves GM trucks and SUVs made in the era of mine. He said if it wasn't for them he would have went out of business when they put in a chain auto part store across the street.

I have bought 6 brand new vehicles, 5 non union, 1 union made. Guess which one hands down was the biggest pile of garbage? Also the union made one was the newest and it was a GM product. My local mom & pop auto parts store loves GM trucks and SUVs made in the era of mine. He said if it wasn't for them he would have went out of business when they put in a chain auto part store across the street.

You're still driving it 18 years later, aren't you?

Back