What's new
What's new

The Perpetrator of the Wooden Bridgeport Trailer Site?

Like how people talk about old tools being far superior. Not really, it's just all the shitty tools got scrapped a long time ago. :D

That's no shit.

I love the old trope about cars being better, usually because they were easier to work on. That is typically the precursor to some stupid fuckin story about points ignition, or how the A/C never broke because it was hand crank window.

That's no shit.

I love the old trope about cars being better, usually because they were easier to work on. That is typically the precursor to some stupid fuckin story about points ignition, or how the A/C never broke because it was hand crank window.

LOL

A lot of the new stuff sucks ass, too, though.

A lot of new stuff needs proprietary software to work on... pretty lame. Not so much cars, but heavy equipment. Senate introduces bill to allow farmers to fix their own equipment

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

That's no shit.

Some old stuff wasn't bad. early 70's F-100 with disc front brakes and a 240 or 300 six and a 4 speed is a great truck. Still today. Anything with a 12 valve Cummins and a stickshift is better than anything made today.

Some old stuff wasn't bad. early 70's F-100 with disc front brakes and a 240 or 300 six and a 4 speed is a great truck. Still today. Anything with a 12 valve Cummins and a stickshift is better than anything made today.
I'll take my '43 Monarch or '43 ATW over many lathes today. I love old machines, which is fortunate because those are what I can afford. :)

Programmed via Mazatrol

....Here is saving money by rigging an 18,000 lb 11' tall CNC off a trailer in a gravel driveway using wood. From that experience, I learned that was dumb. I have moved hundreds of machines since then without using much wood.

Curious as to how you got that one down.

Curious as to how you got that one down.

An old 15 ton railroad style mechanical toe jack and one sheet of 7/16 OSB at a time. I cut up 20 sheets of OSB into 16" squares for that. It wasn't enough so I used some firewood rounds as well. It took about 12 hours to get it setting on a couple pieces of tubing. Then I used a 6 ton chainfall attached to a column in the building to drag it inside. Then I put it on skates and rolled it another 50 feet.

My anxiety level was pretty high until it got down to about a foot off the ground. I remember it had to be 40" in the air to get it off the trailer.

Woke up this AM, read this thread and said that's some kinda sketchy shit.

Then my buddy calls, needs a hand.

That's when we executed some really sketchy shit.

Good cribbing is an excellent resource. We didn't have any, but cedar works OK in a pinch.
60a4e80841221ebdb1697b7a8bcc1825.jpg
1cf191d7c3afe755f938ce55eb72b1e0.jpg
a5522402469ab84326130ee5fc68f5d3.jpg

Programmed via Mazatrol

BTW,when I got my new Ford pickup....I had to wait a bit cause I specced NO aircond,windup windows,no power steering and no airbags.......and cab chassis,cause I had a perfectly good ally tray off a 1970s pickup......If I get in a aircond car ,the freezing air wrecks my sinuses for a week,at least.....eyes stream ,and I cant stop sneezing............as a kid my nickname was "snotgun" ,and a/c brings it all back.

My boss owned a container yard as a bit of a sideline.....40ft boxes stacked around 10 high,giant 50 ton forks running around at 25-30mph with 40 fters high up in the air.....the yard was dirt ,not concrete,and had water filled potholes feet deep,used to scare me going down there......but he did get me two 40 ft ers real cheap to store my machines in.

Its funny how millenials cant do anything like this.......a millenial bought two old motorbikes stored in an attic of a two storey house......any practical person would simply dismantle the bikes and take the pieces out......nope,millenials hire a giant crane ,have roofers remove part of the roof,and crane lift the bikes out onto the roadway outside.

{Translation} Haha, look at all the stupid people we've raised! Come everyone let's go laugh at their ignorance!

You old guys say the darnedest things sometimes, lol. (It means laugh out loud) :D

This is the most valid statement the internet has yet to produce this week.

Give me a 69'-97' 4x4 F-series with a 12 valve and NV4500. If it didn't rust or wear out, I'd drive it for the rest of my days.

To the OP, thank you for sharing that web page, a good read indeed!

To the guy with the drilling rig on the broken bridge, how'd you get your truck back to the other side?

{Translation} Haha, look at all the stupid people we've raised! Come everyone let's go laugh at their ignorance!

You old guys say the darnedest things sometimes, lol. (It means laugh out loud) :D

This is the most valid statement the internet has yet to produce this week.

Give me a 69'-97' 4x4 F-series with a 12 valve and NV4500. If it didn't rust or wear out, I'd drive it for the rest of my days.

To the OP, thank you for sharing that web page, a good read indeed!

To the guy with the drilling rig on the broken bridge, how'd you get your truck back to the other side?
The contractor cut a road into a irrigation ditch road (all kinds af special permission) that was at the top of the property. after repairs were done, it took out drive lines and air lines and actually bent an input shaft on the front rear, but i didnt find that out for a few months untill the bearings went. when i went thru, i got the well drilled then got a tow up to the upper ditch road, the hill was still to steep to drive even after cutting it in.

Making a wooden trailer is a great idea. Plenty of fatigue strength in wood. Awesome to have on public roads, yep. Guy’s brilliant.

If it’s stupid and it works it’s still stupid and you got lucky.

If you researched a bit of history you'd discover that several successful automobiles used wooden frames even into the early 20th century and of course during the war years with civilian metal shortages many manufacturers incorporated a significant amount of wood into the body work, the Ford "woody" being the best known example.

Did you know there is a wooden frame sport bicycle?

A lot depends not only on the wood but also the construction. A builder who understands wood absolutely can make a safe trailer and the decks of many transport trailers are traditionally wood as well. There are good woods and bad woods just as there are good designs and bad designs.

Back