What's new
What's new

What quality are CNC spindles balanced to?

William Payne

Cast Iron
I’ve been reading up on spindle balancing out of curiosity and interest. I know that many tool holders are balanced to G2.5 but what about the spindle itself? Are they G2.5 as well or are they G1 or G0.4?

I’ve been reading up on spindle balancing out of curiosity and interest. I know that many tool holders are balanced to G2.5 but what about the spindle itself? Are they G2.5 as well or are they G1 or G0.4?

That's going to depend on your spindle; it's like asking "How fast does a car go?" Mine is just like butter at 50,000RPM.

That depends, most motors and spindles for turning, boring and milling are G 6.3. Then good toolholders & tooling are G 2.5 ASSEMBLED! Then G 1 & G 0.4 are the real nit-picky stuff.

I’ll attach some chit…

Good luck,

On edit I forgot a visual panel where the G#s live vis amplitude, velocity & acceleration… :rolleyes5:

Attachments

• Balance_Ref_Text.jpg
    Balance_Ref_Text.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Balance_Ref_GenMach_Severity.jpg
    Balance_Ref_GenMach_Severity.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Balance_Ref_AccelSeverity_CPM.jpg
    Balance_Ref_AccelSeverity_CPM.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Balance_Ref_VDI_SGE1963.jpg
    Balance_Ref_VDI_SGE1963.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
That depends, most motors and spindles for turning, boring and milling are G 6.3. Then good toolholders & tooling are G 2.5 ASSEMBLED! Then G 1 & G 0.4 are the real nit-picky stuff.

I’ll attach some chit…

Good luck,

On edit I forgot a visual panel where the G#s live vis amplitude, velocity & acceleration… :rolleyes5:

That documentation is great!!! Where did you get that from? Is it a book?

Ya most spindle rebuilders are at G.4 overall for most modern spindles, but there are certainly exceptions depending on the application and original design. Actual physical imbalance is just ONE of the many things that any competent rebuilder should be concerned with when reviewing the vibration analysis once the spindle is being tested.

Back