What's new
What's new

0T--Saipem 7000 hoisting incident

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
in 1985 I destroyed a 20 ft segment of 30 ton crane lattice boom--70 ft loa-- by placing
side load in a negligent manner--two weeks of welding put boom back in action --
with permanent tilt

linked video documents more costly event--parted wire rope results in load drop
and decent of block/hook of 14000 tonne barge crane

https://youtu.be/GtoYy5KuNMg

I often have wire rope breaks ,not a big deal........actually had a somewhat similar fail on a smaller scale.......wrecked my Cinicnnatti centreless.......wire broke,hook block fell down ontop of the grinder and smashed the glass oil tube thing on top.....lot of glass went inside the spindle housing ......simply went from a save to a scrap.....As they say ,thats life.

Better video of (immediately after) the event.

There were pictures of the aftermath propagating around twitter afterwards - unlike the Deme Orion failure, the boom was somehow prevented from flipping over and causing massive damage, although there was a smaller mobile crane on the deck that was wrapped around the base of the main crane pretty well. There was apparently some immediate panic about a potential capsize, but they were able to redistribute the ballast quickly enough to prevent any real problems there.

Most lattice boom cranes have stop wires to keep the boom on the right side of the cab...I imagine after the last incident,stops were hurriedly fitted to any crane didnt have them.

in 1985 I destroyed a 20 ft segment of 30 ton crane lattice boom--70 ft loa-- by placing
side load in a negligent manner--two weeks of welding put boom back in action --
with permanent tilt

linked video documents more costly event--parted wire rope results in load drop
and decent of block/hook of 14000 tonne barge crane

https://youtu.be/GtoYy5KuNMg

Unfortunate, how quick things turn bad! Did you continue to operate afterwards?

Back