What's new
What's new

5" long, 3/8 drive socket extensions with a special end needed.

kustomizer

Diamond
My part in this is complicated but I will try to make it simple, an old friend came to me trying to help a friend of his and me. It is not a job for me so I will try to pass it along to one of you, once the introduction is made, I am out of it.

What he wants to end up with is a 3/8 drive ratchet extension that is 5" long with an oval/rectangular end when you would normally put the socket, there is no spring or ball. If a guy had a live tooled lathe and a rotary broach he could drop them off complete. The major OD is .62.

I told my friend I would talk to his friend then try to find someone that can help him, the first thing he told me was he was having trouble finding a foundry to cast them, I explained to him they rete machined of forged then machined but he is still certain they are investment cast. I asked him what kind of material and he said cast iron would be the norm but that he didn't care.
I am not going to post pics even though it has a patent, it is his to share. There is minimal pressure of any kind when it is in use, 7075 aluminum would be fine I am sure, 12l14 would be plenty but would need something to keep them from rusting in the package, it is not a cosmetic end use but they should look nice when sold.

He does have money to pay for them but wants to pay around 3 bucks per part ready to package in 1000 pc quantities. First off he would like to buy a dozen to see and test them and does understand they will be much more expensive.

Why am I not interested, well I am working on job shop orders placed a year ago, we are down to nothing on 75 items in our own inventory and am not wanting more work.
This is a start up with a new product, it could make someone a good living or it could be something to do for a while until it goes bust or to china.

Based on the replies we can decide how to proceed, this is not my normal thing

My friend thinks buying a cheap 6" extension, cut it off, smash the end and sell them like that, it may work?

That was my first thought until I saw 1000 pc orders. I dont know what hassles there might be to source that many?? Forging the end would be fast and easy depending on any tight tolerances. I would start with non chrome extensions so when done the finish would be somewhat even, not 1/2 chrome & other 1/2 bare metal.

I spoke with this guy again, I have his permission to share his drawing, such as it is and contact info with a few of you if you are truly interested, PM me with your email and I will foreword this info via email.

I could see something like this working but I can also see the pcs you buy having different manufacturers, sizes, material and becoming a real pita, were I to get involved I would make them from scratch which is enough trouble. 12l14 and whatever plating was cheap, black oxide is easy and cheap to do

$3.00 each ?????

That's what he is hoping for, it ain't written in stone. I had my first conversation with him today, don't know him from Adam.

There may be better ways to make it and that is for someone else to decide, I am just throwing out some random thoughts.

I wouldn't look at them for 3 times that but I am winding things down and getting picky though if they could go in 12' bars and fall in a bucket done, I may think about it a bit more, I don't have that machine so as things are I have plenty to do so it ain't for me.

Free customer for someone, could be a lifechanging opportunity, could be a PITA, I am just throwing out what I heard

Hoping for 3 bucks each in the first conversation is just a place to start talking, It doesn't need forged, 12L14 is overkill, 7075 would be fine I am sure and not need plated, It may turn into something good for someone but my plate is too full.

"Needed" or not, in any of several Alloys, forging, cold-heading, stamping, pressing, and "cousins" are often cheaper means of forming a product of this sort than machining OR casting.

Yes, though likely as not, machining the first dozen and perhaps the first 1000 may be the way to go

Don't matter much to me, I'm just trying to give away a customer

Customer needs educated.

Have them send print to China to meet the target price.

I'm sure they will make what ever he wants, for what ever price he wants.

Customer needs educated.

Have them send print to China to meet the target price.

I'm sure they will make what ever he wants, for what ever price he wants.

Though that is likely the end result, I'll not be the one to send it. I suspect there is some money to be made by someone here before that happens anyhow.

So far, not many interested parties? One in fact, as a maybe

This is a free customer on the ground level of something new.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I will his contact info and a pic

If I'm understanding this idea/concept, is it about the same as a ball end extension or wobble end. So the socket can be slightly angled for better access in tight applications?

Hodge

If I'm understanding this idea/concept, is it about the same as a ball end extension or wobble end. So the socket can be slightly angled for better access in tight applications?

Hodge

It is an ovalish end, special purpose tool, the special end is super simple, send me an email address

Back