What's new
What's new

Haas VF7 spindle overload 200%

SageGlad

Aluminum
Hey people! I’m in need of help with my VF7/50.
It’s 2011 machine, we just got it out of auction. After installation I turned on the machine and wanted to run a warm up program, As soon as spindle start turning it shows me a 200% overload, with no tools in it. It spins freely by hand, I checked the encoder (it was very dirty and oily, but it works) I clean it and installed it back to the spindle. The encoder seems like giving a right measuring to the computer when I spin the spindle by hand. I checked the eye delta contractor, it looks good, no signs of any damage. Voltage going in and out, same voltage at all pins. All three phases reaches the spindle motor. So no meter what number of rpm’s up to 1000 It spins 10 rpm. If I program it to go 2000 rpm it spins 40-60 rpm.
I’m struggling with it for a few days already, please help me with any advice or thoughts.
Appreciate ya all.

If you can (safely!) use a clamp-on amp meter to confirm power on all legs is equal, as far along the wiring path from wall box to motor that might help with diagnostics.

Are you running off "native" 3ph, or a phase converter? That would be an area to check carefully.

Other than that, I'd be contacting my HFO and requesting help from them. Maybe others here have thoughts, countryguy (https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/countryguy/) has turned into a bit of a Haas guru, might be worth contacting him.

A thread to check out, may not be of use:

HAAS VF2 2017 Spindle orientation/stall problems

[Edit 4/17, 9:30am - 250+ views, and nobody else has a comment? It's a HAAS, everyone has an opinion, let's hear it]

Thank you for the answer! It’s the native 3ph power source to my building, all three legs has the same voltage but I didn’t check amperage, it’s definitely a point to look at. Will do it tomorrow morning and reply here. Also I have reached one real knowledgeable guy today, explaining the situation he said it most likely the software issue connected to activation process of the machine. He also recommended to call HFO…

Be careful though, not sure why the rpms are off, but you can smoke a motor if it's not feeding it the correct voltage current curve. I'd check the diag menu to see if the encoder is reading sane degrees. Is there any chance someone messed with the Params on this machine?

Hey guys! Thank you all for trying to help, very appreciate any message you post here. Today I was finally able to fix the issue, and it’s exactly as I was expecting, software.
The machine erased all parameters for some weird reason, and I was digging that way today morning, find that my tool changer was set as 20 tools (but it’s 30 actually) and so on.
So I called HFO and they of course said they need to smash my software install new soft and put in all my parameters, and they can’t assist me over the phone. They sent me an invoice for $3 thousand!!!! And wait time about 2 weeks. For the parameters to the equipment that was already purchased from them and it’s stock of my machine, cool.
So I figured if they confirmed my guess about parameters, it’s time to try do it myself..
And I got lucky!! I have found the usb stick at the electrical cabinet, looked what’s there and BOOOOM! I see the serial number of my machine.PAR
Then I simply recover the machine to the factory settings and it’s perfect now. I checked everything, and I’m happy to make chips on this beast!
Thank you all once again!

Be careful though, not sure why the rpms are off, but you can smoke a motor if it's not feeding it the correct voltage current curve. I'd check the diag menu to see if the encoder is reading sane degrees. Is there any chance someone messed with the Params on this machine?

You pointed the right spot man! Thank you! And yes I’m always careful with the electrical, I’m an electrician :)

Hey guys! Thank you all for trying to help, very appreciate any message you post here. Today I was finally able to fix the issue, and it’s exactly as I was expecting, software.
The machine erased all parameters for some weird reason, and I was digging that way today morning, find that my tool changer was set as 20 tools (but it’s 30 actually) and so on.
So I called HFO and they of course said they need to smash my software install new soft and put in all my parameters, and they can’t assist me over the phone. They sent me an invoice for $3 thousand!!!! And wait time about 2 weeks. For the parameters to the equipment that was already purchased from them and it’s stock of my machine, cool.
So I figured if they confirmed my guess about parameters, it’s time to try do it myself..
And I got lucky!! I have found the usb stick at the electrical cabinet, looked what’s there and BOOOOM! I see the serial number of my machine.PAR
Then I simply recover the machine to the factory settings and it’s perfect now. I checked everything, and I’m happy to make chips on this beast!
Thank you all once again!

They should have been more helpful than this and no invoice involved. Glad you had the usb tucked away like it should be.

So the next question is why were the parameters bad? Hope you don't just assume everything is now hunky dory...

Might want to add the dual battery kit and some fresh batteries while you're at it.

So the next question is why were the parameters bad? Hope you don't just assume everything is now hunky dory...

Might want to add the dual battery kit and some fresh batteries while you're at it.

The battery kit was added by the previous owner already, and the batteries are good.
Now I have a new cool thing, unrecoverable error. It’s a software issue and I can’t even download it myself. It’s for haas employees only… maybe that was the reason of a failure. I should find out now.

How do you know the batteries are good? Low batteries can cause these problems you're seeing...

I also was trying to clear BBU RAM with the command from manual M 3000000 3FFFFFF for 16mb ram, and no progress. It shows me a memory error. Expected=00 actual=10.

Back