What's new
What's new

WTB- Compound Ratcheting Arbor press

jeff76

Cast Iron
Would like to find a good sized compound ratcheting arbor press. Would prefer a floor model but may consider one of the larger stand mounted models. No brand preference but hopefully something other than an import. Dake, Atlas, Famco, Greenerd, to name a few I'd consider. Im near zip code 44875 which is in Ohio so hopefully something nearby as I dont wanna drive too far and shipping might get kinda pricey for something like this.

Thanks,
Jeff

Not my ad. Not super close either. Might be worth the trip?
15 ton Greenerd ratcheting compound arbor press with hand wheel...
00m0m_4UcpyXphTdNz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

That Greenerd is an awesome machine if it's not worn out. I'd drive 2 or 3 states to get it.

I totally agree that waiting until you can find a compound arbor press is the way to go. I have a Famco 3-1/2C that came out of Boeing Surplus and I use it all the time! It's one of my most favorite machines ever.

onBase-2.jpg

metalmagpie

I am another who would like a mechanical press. As for why? For light force work its much faster. You get a feel for the amount of force required, and how the part is moving. The hydraulic just doesn't care, the part is going to move. If something is not right, its still going.

Why do folks use these types of presses versus a hydraulic press? I have both but rarely use the manual press.

Stuart

Depends on the work you're doing. For cutting keyways with a broach for instance, much nicer to use an arbor press. Moves way faster, plus you get a feel for the amount of force and how smoothly or not things are moving. Hydraulics have their place too though. Ideally I'd want to have both in a working shop.

I'm no longer looking as of this past weekend. I picked up a #4 Atlas. Needs a little work and cleaning up but should come out nicely I think. I know the pictures are poor quality- maybe I can get some better ones after I finish it.

Jeff

Attachments

• arbor press 3.jpg
    arbor press 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 37
  • arbor press 1.jpg
    arbor press 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 38
I think I saw that one on FB marketplace? Nice press.
Very possible- Thats how I found it. There were actually 2 different #4's listed there recently. The first one was linked here by Alcro above but that one sold before I was able to make it up there. The one that I purchased was in the same general area as the first one but listed slightly later.

Jeff

Very possible- Thats how I found it. There were actually 2 different #4's listed there recently. The first one was linked here by Alcro above but that one sold before I was able to make it up there. The one that I purchased was in the same general area as the first one but listed slightly later.

Jeff

Either way, I really like that height adjustable table. Very handy.

Back