What's new
What's new

Victor 1640 headstock drain plug - Where is it?

Deude-Mann

Aluminum
So I have a used Victor 1640 that I am setting up in my shop. It's in place, wired, and working. Next is cleaning it up and changing out the gear oils just in case. I found the FILL plug for the headstock, but the DRAIN plug is not where the owner's manual said it should be; the manual quality does not have the greatest reputation.

Rather than blindly removing bolts until I find it, I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Here is the lathe.

349492d1652632872-victor-1640-headstock-drain-plug-where-lathe-2.jpg

The manual indicates that the drain plug is on the face circled in red, below the spindle. But there is nothing there.

349493d1652632893-victor-1640-headstock-drain-plug-where-lathe.jpg

The other option is to just suck all of the oil out of the gearbox through the fill hole but I'd like to be sure I got all of it.

Thanks

Attachments

• LATHE 2.jpg
    LATHE 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 96
  • Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 96
The back of the headstock and gear box are completely covered by the electronics box so I don't think it is there. It better not be... That would be a poor design.

The gear box drain is correctly marked in the manual. It is right next to the 1-8 speed selector lever.

Different make and model expects you to just pry out the sight glass and drain the oil that way. Whether intended or not it might work, They're typically an O-ring friction fit.

There is a plug located in that spot on mine, and I was guessing that might be it. The electronics box is just to the right of the plug.
plug.jpg

There is a protruding hex head right next to the shifter lever. It is mostly hidden in the picture. That is the gear box drain plug according to the manual.

drain.jpg

same as mine too.
fyi the location sucks, go get you a metric pipe nipple and a length of clear plastic tubing that fits snuggly over it. As soon as you pull the plug put in the nipple and drain into a bucket

Are their “ metric pipe “ nipples ? I was led to believe that everywhere on the planet uses BSP apart from the US which uses NPT. I’ve worked on Russian machines and even they had BSP pipe fittings.

Regards Tyrone.

Reg

Back