What's new
What's new

0t---Czars rescue ship---Kommuna--1912

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to not catch on fire unlike their newer stuff like this less then one year old ship that did not get hit by missles. I bet the russians are hoping Ukraine does not get the two nuclear tipped missiles on board the sunken one.
I remember the Glomar Explorer cover story of fishing the oceans for metal seafloor nodules.
Bill D

Ukraine Reportedly Attacks Russian Navy Logistics Ship 'Vsevolod Bobrov' in Black Sea

Why do you feel the need to post unrelated "stuff" in JHOLLAND1's thread on the oldest active ship?

Last edited:
there is sufficient merit in the history of the Commune rescue ship--currently the oldest
active worldwide naval vessel, to justify the topic

but--an equally remarkable factoid is russian assertion that the 110 year metal hull
is corrision free--a russian produced video sections 10 mm rudder plate as illustrated
in still pic as proof

Attachments

• `stainless rudder.JPG
    `stainless rudder.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 38
Sorry JHOLLAND,
I thought I hit "reply with quote" to Bill D's post, I went back and edited my post so it should be clear now.
I think that a ship that old still in service is a great thing.
One question though, when you said the keel was laid in 1912 did you mean keels? Or doe marine lingo use singular keel even if more than one?

Anyway thanks for posting, and please dont stop.

As a kid I did not realize the sailing ship at the museum in San Francisco has a steel hull. Built in 1886, still afloat. Not in service. I do not think it leaves the dock except to go into drydock once.
The SS Meteor(1896) in Superior Wisconsin has a hull that is rusting through from freshwater service only. they ran it aground around 1970 as museum ship.
Bill D

Balclutha (1886) - Wikipedia

Attachments

• BalcluthaRainbow-copy.jpg
    BalcluthaRainbow-copy.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
keel laid 1912 commisioned 1915 current assignment retrieval of components
of crusier Moskva--Black Sea

I wanted to aplogize to you. I did not know if you liked this ship or were making fun of russia having to use a 110 year old ship. It is interesting to see it has not rusted through. I doubt the hull is really rust free. probably some old wrought iron material or something not used in my lifetime.
Does it have an engine in each hull? If so must be complicated to keep the rpms the same with some kind of vintage mechanical linkage. I know paddlewheel tug boats of that vintage could reverse the engines independently for great maneuverability.
I think those are two spare propellors I see. I wonder if they are still using the 110 year old originals.
Bill D

in 2018 in the Black sea the worlds oldest intact shipwreck was found. Lost around 400 BC. The water is cold with little oxygen so the. ship and cargo has been preserved pretty well.
Bill D.

Bill D

the Kommune was named Volkov at launch--renamed following the Bolshevik
revolution
two 600 hp diesel engines--one per hull--were original issue--1954 refit
replaced these

the Kommune was patterned after german rescue tug Vulkan--launched 1906 and
steam driven

Attachments

• `sms vulkan.JPG
    `sms vulkan.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 9
  • `2.JPG
    `2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 9
Early russian submarines had no compartment walls so the captin could see what was going on. If they sprung a leak there was no way to seal off the rest of the sub. I bet that rescue ship got a lot of customers.
Bill D

in 2018 in the Black sea the worlds oldest intact shipwreck was found. Lost around 400 BC. The water is cold with little oxygen so the. ship and cargo has been preserved pretty well.
Bill D.

More ad BS than I care to deal with, but sounds interesting....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back