What's new
What's new

Big Swing Monarch

Reserve of $4000 seemed high to me. Plus odd tailstock- but headstock end didn’t looked raised in sand… Odd.

From the tooling photo in the auction album, I would guess that this lathe was used heavily/primarily for boring. Looks like the three (!) superheavy boring bar holders mount in place of the compound, on top of the cross-slide riser. I wonder if there's a large faceplate that got separated from the machine (or at least not included in the tooling photos).

In case a BIG one you might like the beast sized NN

Attachments

• 00C0C_lcfRcrwUg0Y_1200x900.jpg
    00C0C_lcfRcrwUg0Y_1200x900.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 00e0e_jfteBkFnNmm_1200x900.jpg
    00e0e_jfteBkFnNmm_1200x900.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 00f0f_3Ntdz6xuXGs_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_3Ntdz6xuXGs_1200x900.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 00S0S_cFMP1Ub3ytY_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_cFMP1Ub3ytY_1200x900.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 00202_8KntyAPNPPX_1200x900.jpg
    00202_8KntyAPNPPX_1200x900.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 19

This is link to an odd big lathe. Went no bid at govt auction.

Bob
The frame in the back looks to be for a tracer tempete. This is a raised in the sand Model 60/61. I wish they include a picture of the name plate on the headstock. This would be considered a medium size lathe at Monarch.

Can someone please tell me where the phrase "raised in the sand" came from? I've only ever seen LeBlond refer to theirs as a plain "raised lathe". Which makes sense, seeing as how the headstock and everything simply was raised up with risers.

Where did the sand part come from? Is it something manufacturer's actually used? Does it have to do with sand cast riser blocks?

Did anyone notice that there are no "knobs" on any of the hand wheels? Thinking it must have been built for some kind of power feed. Maybe the tracer is possible.
Hate to think what the Canadian taxpayer shelled out for it.

Did anyone notice that there are no "knobs" on any of the hand wheels? Thinking it must have been built for some kind of power feed. Maybe the tracer is possible.
Hate to think what the Canadian taxpayer shelled out for it.
On some of the Monarchs with rapids the carriage knob was omitted, unsure on the cross slide, possibly related to the tracer attachment?

You can see a picture of the tracer attachment on page 22 here in this brochure.........

Kevin

Can someone please tell me where the phrase "raised in the sand" came from? I've only ever seen LeBlond refer to theirs as a plain "raised lathe". Which makes sense, seeing as how the headstock and everything simply was raised up with risers.

Where did the sand part come from? Is it something manufacturer's actually used? Does it have to do with sand cast riser blocks?
The "sand" part comes from the foundry sand casting process used to make the machine castings. "Raised in the sand" means that patterns for a normal swing model were used in the foundry sand molding process to create a mold for a larger swing lathe, in contrast to using patterns explicitly intended for the larger swing. In essence the cavity to receive molten iron was "stretched", adding space between two pattern components that would normally produce a shorter cavity. So the result is one piece, not a sandwich of three pieces with the middle one being a riser. Molders had several ways they could do that; it did not always require creation of a spacer pattern component.

Back