What's new
What's new

Thread size for WEN adjustible chuck

danasummers1

Plastic
Does anyone know the thread size for the WEN 2305-KC Keyless Rotary Tool Chuck and where I can purchase a die to cut the same size threads on round stock?

It was not very difficult to find your answer on the Amazon Q&A section for the Wen chuck.

"Question:
Will this fit Dremel tool?
Answer:
NO IT WILL NOT FIT DREMEL OR ANY OTHER TOOLS UNLESS THEY HAVE AN M8 x 0.85mm Thread
I have been searching for hours, until I found that the WEN 2305/2307 Collet thread is an M8 x 0.85mm (30 threads per in) -"

That is very close to 5/16-30. Victor has the die for $11.50.

Larry

Last edited:
It was not very difficult to find your answer on the Amazon Q&A section for the Wen chuck.

"Question:
Answer:
NO IT WILL NOT FIT DREMEL OR ANY OTHER TOOLS UNLESS THEY HAVE AN M8 x 0.85mm Thread
I have been searching for hours, until I found that the WEN 2305/2307 Collet thread is an M8 x 0.85mm (30 threads per in) -"

Larry
Larry if I use the 5/16-.30 die what diameter round stock metal solid tubing would I used to cut the threads?

How is 30 threads per inch derived from M8 x 0.85mm? Thanks

It isn't, but they are close. But not close enough to interwork without jamming unless the fit is quite loose. I'd test this with nuts and bolts from a local hardware store.

If Wen uses M8x 0.85 mm, it's best to use exactly that.

A 5/16 inch thread can be cut on stock that is 5/16 inch diameter. Some material is easier to thread with a die than other materials. Experience helps, but keep in mind that a chamfer on the end of the stock is a minimum requirement.

I wonder if Joe Gwinn, whose location is stated as Boston, MA area, really has a local hardware store that stocks 5/16-30 nuts and bolts.

If that Amazon reviewer gave accurate information, I have great confidence that a Wen chuck will screw on to a 5/16-30 thread without jamming until the internal shoulder hits the end of the male thread. I have less confidence that it is a good idea, but the idea was never explained.

Larry

I wonder if Joe Gwinn, whose location is stated as Boston, MA area, really has a local hardware store that stocks 5/16-30 nuts and bolts.
Hmm. Good point. Probably not, as 5/16-30 is not a standard size. So, we are back to M8x0.85, which is also not so common, judging by what McMaster carries. So it's a custom job either way, so might as well make it exactly M8x0.85, perhaps starting with 5/16" (7.94mm) stock, perhaps oversize.

At this point I must ask; Why are you so determined to put a Wen chuck on a shaft?

If it's to make a custom arbor I'd pick a more common size.

If it's to make a wide range pin vise such tools already exist such as the one from General.

M8 x 0.85 would be a special order die as it is a non-standard size.

Hmm. Good point. Probably not, as 5/16-30 is not a standard size. So, we are back to M8x0.85, which is also not so common, judging by what McMaster carries. So it's a custom job either way, so might as well make it exactly M8x0.85, perhaps starting with 5/16" (7.94mm) stock, perhaps oversize.
No lathe, no chance. The die would be so expensive that it would be cheaper to cannibalize a Wen tool for the shaft.

Last edited:
I've lost the bead. Aren't we trying to achieve M8x0.85, which sounds like something Victor (and others) can easily do, as they are already close?

"Question:
Answer:

Larry
Dear expert friends... my months of off and on sifting causing 100s of MBs of saved webpages, diagrams and videos has brought me here...and this excellent comment with url by you!
I had beforehand bad thoughts to give WEN a chance over dremels etc but still gave them a chance.. their support is pathetic and closing ticket with stupid/dum/illiterate comments... The nightmare journey seems ending soon with your help... i am seeking to mount a 6mm shank fitted buffing wheel/ball/wool so i need to ask... whats the best way to achieve a max of 6mm "clamping-range" ... I am keeping 6mm max to avoid lengthening conversion apparatus hence achieving highest and safest RPMs. Just while tying this post i have come to 2 new solutions.
SOLUTION-1 (when i sat to write this post)
=================================
With this post initially i was going to write something along the lines of; getting a very thin walled cylindrical sleeve (ring) with (say reverse) grooves and matching TPI/UNF on inner side to grip WEN spindle and outer grooves on same cylindrical ring with TPI/UNF to embrace any premium chuck (compatible with dremel's [bleeding edge models] say 8260) for highest safe RPMs, and extremely small (like WEN 2305-KC Keyless Rotary Tool Chuck https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072LXHBHP/) but with greater yet not exceeding say max clamping-range of 6mm. this apparatus will keep chuck nearest to drill's spindle infact drill's chassis for safe high RPMs.
SOLUTION-2
===========
Something like "Angle Grinder Attachments Adapter 5/8" 11 Female to M14 Male" https://www.amazon.ca/Grinder-Attachments-Adapter-Female-Cooling/dp/B09S4Q8HY2/ with TPI/UNF matching as per soloution1 above. Drawback is this will add a bridging length from drill mouth/chassis to item/drill/shank clamped.
SOLUTION-3
===========
Something like what i understand to call it maybe a Collet-Extension!?! ... "CNBTR ER20 A Type Extension Rod Collect Chucks Holder CNC Spindle Motor and 13pcs Spring Collet CNC Milling Lathe Tool Set" https://www.amazon.ca/CNBTR-Spindle-Extension-Collect-Workholding/dp/B077PQ9R8T/ ...... but minus/without any Extension-Rod .... i.e the Collet-Extension https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71KO84bAllL._AC_SL1500_.jpg should mount directly on the WEN spindle.
CONCLUSION:
=============
I believe solution-3 with WEN compatible TPI/UNF could be most elegant and highest safe RPMs apparatus. Here again... would you gurus advice this tool to get TAPPED for WEN compatibility or can u gurus dig out something (from victornet, proxxon etc) already existing!?!
Anxiously looking for kind help as this will put thousands of souls to peace ditched by WEN!!!
Thank you and best regards!

Last edited:

Back