What's new
What's new

New Machine Day and Okuma M560-V vs. 8ft tall garage door

Paul Bird

Plastic
Got my first real machine last week and in spite of what many, many people said, the M560-V can make it under an 8ft. tall garage door.

Gosiger sent a tech to remove the Z axis motor and the rigger simply removed the sheet metal guard on the side and removed and set over the towers that route the lines to the spindle. This gets the overall height down to 7'10.75" so it was still necessary to lower the mill on to 1" steel pipe and push it in. Once in they lifted it up on to skates and moved into final position.

Paul Bird

Attachments

• Okuma Move In 2.jpeg
    Okuma Move In 2.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Okuma Move In.jpeg
    Okuma Move In.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 222
now thats a tight fit!
looks like a lot of pain in the ass to get it in, nice work.

how are you powering it at home?

I rebuilt my garage 10 years ago from a 20x22 foot 2 car to a 3400 ft2 shop. At that time I had new underground service put in with a 400 amp service. That was smart.

The concrete for the shop was put on top of 2" of rigid foam insulation. That wasn't smart for this. So I had to cut out and jacked up (with a skid steer) the grey section of floor and had it re-poured with 16" of concrete on a triple stack of rebar. The Gosiger install tech said that it moved absolutely zero from Wednesday to Friday which he said is very rare.

Was that an Okuma requirement???................:willy_nilly:
Well, they provide you with a reference drawing showing 450mm thick reinforced slab with a 150mm crushed rock with a 30% gravel fill. They don't provide you with the concrete specs or the reinforcement layout and sizing. In their notes they simply state to use a "fauchman" guess they mean a structural foundation engineer to verify that your foundation will meet their load requirement of 5.7 ton/m^2.

The firm I used basically came up with their same design with the exception of the gravel which was a little different design that we used throughout as a base prior to concrete.

Was that an Okuma requirement???................:willy_nilly:
I had an civil engineer friend look at it and he laughed at 16". With that, once I cut out the original concrete it was just a matter of shoveling out the super fine gravel (three feet of it) under it. So it wasn't much more work to get to their "recommendation."

I also had one of my two in floor scissor lifts right where the mill was going. 😣 Otherwise I might have just rolled the dice on the 6" on insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_6920.jpg
    IMG_6920.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6958.jpg
    IMG_6958.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
uuuummmmmm wtf...... I WANT THIS SETUP
Yeah, me too.

I'm really curious what door height would be required to get it in without dismantling anything? I kind of assume 10' wide would be adequate.

I think my Fadal came in, and out, thru a 7' door, and the Z drive had to come off. Got it mistimed by 180 when I put it back on. Made for a rough time changing tools ;-)

I had an civil engineer friend look at it and he laughed at 16". With that, once I cut out the original concrete it was just a matter of shoveling out the super fine gravel (three feet of it) under it. So it wasn't much more work to get to their "recommendation."

I also had one of my two in floor scissor lifts right where the mill was going. 😣 Otherwise I might have just rolled the dice on the 6" on insulation.
16" is ridiculous for a 4020 size 3 axis. that thing is what, 12k lbs? 16" sounds reasonable for something thats like 30k lbs or so

The machine is 9 tons.

I own the same machine, I wish I had that slab under it. It may be a bit thick but who cares! There is a very respected shop in the area that has a few of these machines that are actually strapped down to a very thick slab. Okuma doesn’t require bolting down but it helps the machine settle down after X axis rapids. There is quite a bit of weight up high when the head moves. The machine will shake a few tenths during x axis reversal.

To the Op- buy some really good certified tool holders to get the most out of your spindle. Lyndex Nikken and Rego fix are my go to, there is a performance gain from a good holder.

I'm really curious what door height would be required to get it in without dismantling anything? I kind of assume 10' wide would be adequate.
10 feet wide will work. Without taking parts off you will need just under 9 feet. The z motor (pic is attached) is the only thing challenging to remove and that is because it weighs close to 70 lb. For scale vs. a nmea 34 clearpath motor off the PM Mathews cnc build in my basement.

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpg
    IMG_7632.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 29
I got a 30 hp Phase Perfect. I have 400 amp service at my house so hopefully it will be ok.

Please update up on how you wired it up and how it is working for you(how much your electric bill goes up to once you start pumping parts out). Great machine and hope Karen with your HOA doesn't find out:D

Reactions: Ox

Back