What's new
What's new

Antique lathe

I get the gut feeling that this machine was not likely to have ever been subject to over-stress abuse. Closely held. Too precious to its few minders.

Fair chance that ALL of those workholders can "come good" if carefully cleaned up.

Surprised to not see even one 4-Jaw independent in the mix, but those are not expensve in small sizes @ low RPM ratings.

I guess for this the cathead was used. At some point if i have a use for it I will get a small one.

I totally agree with you!

There are just a few things that have to be sorted out first. The worn crosssled spindles, the worn out tailstock and no micrometer collars are things to take care of first.
And then I first need to get an adapter for a new chuck made somewhere, as my machine can´t cut threads.

Until then I will have to live with what I have. I am already happy that the spindle is not too far off center too much.

Interesting that it doesn't hit 5 mm, as on some European square-socket goods I have.

Could be the chuck was US or British made. The UK was still using human-friendly "Imperial" measuring system in that era, not yet as precisely agreed with what by virtue of abandonment & inheritance is now called the "US" inch.

I do not recall when the last use of the old French "ligne" was, either, as Swiss FRENCH side of Schweiz was a noted center of metalworking expertise [1], and KEPT the "ligne" in the horology trade.... perhaps even unto the present-day?

"As American as baseball, hot dogs, Apple pie, and Chevrolet" is a funny.

All are imports.

:)

As WE are!

Louis Chevrolet (surname means "one who tends goats") and his brothers from Switzerland.

I am really not surprised by anything on that lathe anymore...
All bolts are weird sizes. 4,5mm 5,5mm 6,5mm diameters. 8mm with a 1,6mm pitch. 11mm right handed cross sled spindles with 1,8 pitch...

I tried to get imperial bolts for a test fit last week from a Triumph motorcycle dealer... I was surprised that there is all metric. And he told me that Harley Davidson is also metric in the meantime...

Wow I haven´t had time to look into the forum for a long time :O I am sorry for that!

I made some more progress. After receiving a belt and tools I made the first cuts. It took a lot of small improvements but now it works quite well.

IMG_20220731_132736.jpg

I also started to turn center points. I needed to do some small angle adjustments and get the surface a lot smoother but after a while I got it right and will make a whole bunch of parts with the correct angle.

IMG_20220917_121831.jpg

It works and holds very well both in the headstock and also in the tailstock:
IMG_20221001_085241.jpg

I am really happy with how it works!

Back