What's new
What's new

Help Identify LeBlond Lathe and Weight

Mickey_D

Stainless
I have been looking for a "farm" lathe (decent sized and not totally worn out) and ran across this LeBlond that appears to be a 16x80 with a taper attachment. Despite the paint being crap, it is quiet with only a little wear on the ways. My guess is it is from the 40's or 50's because it predates the whole Regal and Servo Shift styles and layout. Curious about the model but mostly about the weight. There is a 6K forklift on site - don't think it could pick up the whole thing but maybe the head end enough to slide a trailer under it, winch it forward, and then lift the tail. I have a 6k forklift and a tractor that will pickup 4K so unloading should not be terrible. Any info on model or weight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Leblond.jpg
    Leblond.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 75
A modern Summit 16x80 weighs 6,200 pounds. I would guess around 8,000 pounds.
See link for Leblonde rigging thread.
BILL D

Just some thoughts, based on my experience.
I think it's much safer to hang a lathe on slings threaded through the bed and lifting on the casting webs - not just simply around the bed. In this way, the lathe can't tumble.
Secondly, move tailstock and carriage to the right to better balance the load.
If the lathe is in the middle of the trailer, you'll probably need to pull it to the edge before you lift, 'cause most forklifts are rated at 24" from the mast. You can scoot it over, one end at a time.
Take your time, and think through every move !
Last lathe I moved was a 21x80 Colchester; maybe 7,000 lbs.
Good luck,
Bob

I know my Toyota would lift it easily (rated for 6600 and has done 8500) but not sure about the Yale on his end. I know their sliding bed lathes are really heavy, but we could not find a model number on it for anything (guy is in his 80's and I suspect has forgotten more than I will ever know). There is a spot right under the chuck to run a lifting strap through and I will put a shackle beneath and above the chuck to trap the sling behind the chuck. Tailstock and the steady come off so there is a little weight off of it. Figure we will either get it on easy or it will be a big fight - it is what it is.

Appears to be the "Heavy Duty" model,not a Regal........I would not be surprised to see it 4 tons plus over the scales........Its near a door,so Id be looking at a tilt tray (rollback) to move it.

I have been looking for a "farm" lathe (decent sized and not totally worn out) and ran across this LeBlond that appears to be a 16x80 with a taper attachment. Despite the paint being crap, it is quiet with only a little wear on the ways. My guess is it is from the 40's or 50's because it predates the whole Regal and Servo Shift styles and layout. Curious about the model but mostly about the weight. There is a 6K forklift on site - don't think it could pick up the whole thing but maybe the head end enough to slide a trailer under it, winch it forward, and then lift the tail. I have a 6k forklift and a tractor that will pickup 4K so unloading should not be terrible. Any info on model or weight would be appreciated.
Its a heavy duty 16 at a give away price (IMO). I would not be surprised if it weighed 8000. Ad say s early sixties, which seems reasonable. Serial may be NE58XX which would be mid fifties. Serial right end on top in between two front ways. The 24 spindle speeds makes it later than the forties

This brochure features the 20 which is larger and heavier

Last edited:
Its a heavy duty 16 at a give away price (IMO). I would not be surprised if it weighed 8000. Ad say s early sixties, which seems reasonable. Serial may be NE58XX which would be mid fifties. Serial right end on top in between two front ways. The 24 spindle speeds makes it later than the forties

This brochure features the 20 which is larger and heavier
Thanks John, that makes sense. He bought it from a high school and the guy there thought that it had come from the old army depot. He used it regularly but no production work and was a believer in keeping everything coated liberally in oil. You can feel a little bit on the ways with a fingernail but nothing visible. Backlash amounts are acceptable for a sixty year old machine.

Funny thing about getting this one is that it is manual lathe number five in the last two years. Got an Hardinge HLV-BK from a customer who ran out of room, a HLV-H inch and an inch/metric Taiwan HLV-H clone (and a Hardinge Talent 51) from a friend's shop that was shutting down, and an underdrive Atlas 12x24 that came from the estate of a friend who passed away (I owned the lathe about 20 years ago). Now I need to cull a little because the new shop that is not even finished is trying to get full. Figure the Atlas and the BK will be the first to go, should be able to save room for the rest (unless I find a really cherry Abene like I passed on in 2006 and still kick myself for...

Got the lathe to the shop this morning. We pulled the tailstock and anything that might blow off and then slung it with a forklift onto the trailer. Used some sacrificial aluminum plates and horsestall mats and boomed it down and the trip was very uneventful. Came with the taper attachment (including the foot), adapted steady rest, Aloris D series and half a dozen holders, and some other odds and ends. Ways still look good, you can read all of the labels once the were wiped off, and other than being really dirty and crappy old paint it seems to be in good shape. Serial number is N01516 so if anyone speaks LeBlond serial number I would love to be enlightened.

Going to hit the safe spots with the pressure washer before I unload it just to knock the crud down, and Keith Rucker has inspired me enough to at least think about repainting it one day.

Attachments

• leblond5.jpeg
    leblond5.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 25
Got the lathe to the shop this morning. We pulled the tailstock and anything that might blow off and then slung it with a forklift onto the trailer. Used some sacrificial aluminum plates and horsestall mats and boomed it down and the trip was very uneventful. Came with the taper attachment (including the foot), adapted steady rest, Aloris D series and half a dozen holders, and some other odds and ends. Ways still look good, you can read all of the labels once the were wiped off, and other than being really dirty and crappy old paint it seems to be in good shape. Serial number is N01516 so if anyone speaks LeBlond serial number I would love to be enlightened.

Going to hit the safe spots with the pressure washer before I unload it just to knock the crud down, and Keith Rucker has inspired me enough to at least think about repainting it one day.
Likely NC1516, so a 14 (with an actual swing of 16 1/2") from about '53. That is far out to have a big enough 14" lathe to run with an Aloris DA
Member WalterA can fix you up with a proper hook spanner for the L1 size draw back nut behind the chuck

:D

Last edited:
Likely NC1516, so a 14 (with an actual swing of 16 1/2") from about '53. That is far out to have a big enough 14" lathe to run with an Aloris DA
Member WalterA can fix you up with a proper hook spanner for the L1 size draw back nut behind the chuck

:D
That makes sense. I got the wire brush after the serial number and NC1516 is right (there is a scratch on the C trying to close it up). I do have a hook spanner that came with it so one less thing to worry about.

Attachments

• leblond-serial.jpeg
    leblond-serial.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 5
John, what do you think it weighs? He thought the forklift he used was a 6K lift, but everything is a little iffy.

About 5000 here with the extra length

The big adapted steady may help it is a bit over
Thanks John - that is a great resource. It might even go over five thousand with the big middle pedestal. After I do a little cleaning on it I am going to take it out to our ranch in Dime Box. Have a 6K cat forklift there that should handle it without problems.

Back