What's new
What's new

Rehiring an employee who quit?

It's just business, do you guys expect repercussions every time you flip flop vendors?
Employees are a vendor of labor. You bet there are repercussions for unreliable vendors or vendors that drop us and then try to get our business back

As most said ...

I would add..
If employees You want leave after 6-8-10 years,
(so they are skilled and experienced, no ?),
who have been doing satisfactory work,
(as otherwise they would have been replaced, no ?)

You are probably not paying enough.
I do not totally disagree, but money is not everything

It helps, for sure.

Sometimes a person is not all about the money

In fact, I have always run a pretty loose ship, never owned a time clock

Try to pay as well as I am able.

Many good long term employees work 38 hour weeks

Are they leaving me for money?

No they are going to leave or quality of life.

My UPS driver transferred inside the building

Gave up a huge amount of money[10 hours mandatory overtime not including Christmas]

Cause he never got to see his kids

Use the bad one and ditch it the moment you get a better one
Sorry, do you run a shop?
Do you have source of quality employees the rest of us are missing out on?
I would love to know how many 'screw the employee' types are actually running a shop right now

I don't doubt a few, as I know a few, but the ones I know endlessly complain about employees

you reap what you sow.

Sorry, do you run a shop?
Do you have source of quality employees the rest of us are missing out on?
I would love to know how many 'screw the employee' types are actually running a shop right now

I don't doubt a few, as I know a few, but the ones I know endlessly complain about employees

you reap what you sow.
I manage a shop but do not own it.
We treat employees well. No, we have not found particularly skilled employees, but we make it work.
There are plenty of workers who are borderline better than nothing, and those are the ones I don't really care about.

If you are not finding skilled employees, see Hanermo's comments above

Employees are like a dysfunctional family, only you get to choose the members.
If you do not treat them as family, you get what you deserve.

Just like the drunken brother who finally crosses the line and hits on your wife at Christmas, sometimes you have to get rid of them

But mostly you deal with their strengths and weaknesses.

If you do it some other way, you are costing your employer money

If you are not finding skilled employees, see Hanermo's comments above

Employees are like a dysfunctional family, only you get to choose the members.
If you do not treat them as family, you get what you deserve.

Just like the drunken brother who finally crosses the line and hits on your wife at Christmas, sometimes you have to get rid of them

But mostly you deal with their strengths and weaknesses.

If you do it some other way, you are costing your employer money
We have some of the finest minds of our podunk little area.

When I read the histories of notable manufacturers,it seems moving around every two two or three years was an important factor in the rapid advancement of industry.....there was the principle of the "journeyman" .......when an apprentice finished his time ,he went on the road for a year or more to experience what was being done in other districts or countries.

For a business, you want people who make your business run smoothly and make a profit. It doesn't matter beans how much you like them.
The guy who walked twice should have been expected to walk if better pay or benefits could be had at another shop.
A good worker walking in the door should be welcomed, even if he does take an extra two weeks' vacation every 4 years.
The cold turkey off-the-street person is a perhaps 50% chance of being good, and perhaps a 20% of being a loser that cost your company money.

Last edited:
I manage a shop but do not own it.
We treat employees well. No, we have not found particularly skilled employees, but we make it work.
There are plenty of workers who are borderline better than nothing, and those are the ones I don't really care about.

I'd hate to be an employee in your shop and hear myself spoken about like that...

I want to be prepared. I know the company he's going to and highly doubt he's going to like it there, but I could be wrong.
I don't think I'm obsessing and trust me, I'm still making parts.
You're not the one making the decision but are "preparing" for a scenario that may not ever occur?

Then I suggest you prepare for: the stoplight that may malfunction on your way to work, the number of parts in your rig, or the bus, or the train that you take to work that may fail and the number of possible tweakers who may rob you in any number of ways. That's just on your way to work.

The oven at home when you're not there, the front door lock parts that may be faulty and exploitable by a smart burglar, etc, etc. All of more direct consequence to you personally than the guy in charge.

I'm failing to see how thinking about it now applies perfectly to a future hypothetical situation. If it happens in the future, conditions will have changed, probably the solution, too.

It's a matter of using one's time wisely. Speaking of, I'm prob wasting mine. Gotta go.;)

You're not the one making the decision but are "preparing" for a scenario that may not ever occur?

Then I suggest you prepare for: the stoplight that may malfunction on your way to work, the number of parts in your rig, or the bus, or the train that you take to work that may fail and the number of possible tweakers who may rob you in any number of ways. That's just on your way to work.

The oven at home when you're not there, the front door lock parts that may be faulty and exploitable by a smart burglar, etc, etc. All of more direct consequence to you personally than the guy in charge.

I'm failing to see how thinking about it now applies perfectly to a future hypothetical situation. If it happens in the future, conditions will have changed, probably the solution, too.

It's a matter of using one's time wisely. Speaking of, I'm prob wasting mine. Gotta go.;)
Sometimes it's pretty obvious that the new job won't work out, especially when you know the person's limitations. We've had people come back before after their new job was too good to be true.

Nepotism,favoritism ,victimisation.......incompetent,erratic executive management,low standard of technical knowlege in middle level graduate staff,blame shifting,back stabbing ,mind games ,bullying on the shop floor .......nothing out of the ordinary.

I am going to give a workers perspective. Some workers are not ambitious and are happy to go to work and do their job and go home, others have goals and want to get somewhere in life. An employer hires a worker to do a job, a worker takes a job for two reasons, either they outright need a job or they feel this job will benefit their career.

There is that word, career. You can't expect an employer to be able to provide everything an employee wants, however they will look for other options if those things are not provided.

Could be money, could be benefits, could be advancement, could be the type of work or level of equipment.

Me personally I have left places I loved because they just weren't willing to offer me the things I wanted/needed to advance my career. I have since returned to that place, why did I return? simple, they offered me the things I wanted/needed to advance my career and I at this time am very happy.

Money is never not important, however the amount a person will accept is variable to the financial requirements of each person.

If a company has an employee whos skillset is so important that the company can't be without them and that employee does not have a percentage of ownership in the company you better give them whatever they want as you have allowed the situation to happen by not cross training.

I have seen people leave companies due to bad pay, bad managers, poor career advancement, poor training, change in life circumstances, health reasons, not being listened to, you name it.

If employees are so valuable than as an employer you should make it your business to know why they are leaving even if you won't like the answer.

Also very important, never lie to applicants in an interview. Never promise anything you can't deliver. I don't care how desperate you are for workers. If you just need someone to clean the toilets than that is what you advertise for. Do not advertise one job and deliver another.

I notice that a lot of businesses seem to think that if someone is shopping around their resume they are desperate for work. That is not often the case I know plenty who shop around because they are after the next position on the ladder and it may not be available where they are. This becomes a problem when the employer is so desperate for staff that they tell the applicant whatever they want to hear and you wind up with an underutilized unhappy worker.

If you have a decent number of employees or even only a few I can guarantee that one of them wants your job one day or an equivalent job somewhere else.

The biggest blow up I had was with the boss son who wanted me to be a nominated first aid responder......I said NO!.....He turned real nasty because he knew I had a first aid qualification,from where I was doing contract maintenance work.............the scumbag never offered me any money to do it,so I thought FU Mate!

The biggest blow up I had was with the boss son who wanted me to be a nominated first aid responder......I said NO!.....He turned real nasty because he knew I had a first aid qualification,from where I was doing contract maintenance work.............the scumbag never offered me any money to do it,so I thought FU Mate!

A good conversation might have been ...
" we would like you to be first responder, for xx $ /mo.."
or
"..well it´s a high-risk high-responsibility task, potentially.
how much is it worth, $$, or would your prefer someone less qualified does it ..."

I had another funny clash with the boss son ...I bought two 40ft containers from the boss cheap,on the condition I didnt resell them.....anyhoo,next thing the son says "You sold those containers ,Ive seen them in a factory yard on King Ave,no use denying it!"........I says ,yeah ,I own that place....Him and his old man are WTF?

Back