What's new
What's new

Which dial caliper to trust? (This was worded as "dial indicator" before. In the end a dial is a dial)

You are expecting way too much from a caliper...you are in mic territory.
It's all about these 6" calipers. The word dial indicator is a boo boo. But it could still be an issue for somebody else.
The import digital was actually a freebie from some distributor. If they can make them tha accurate and pass them out for free,
We lost.

It's all about these 6" calipers. The word dial indicator is a boo boo. But it could still be an issue for somebody else.
The import digital was actually a freebie from some distributor. If they can make them tha accurate and pass them out for free,
We lost.
I could make a digital caliper that would have 10 decimal places, doesn't make it more accurate, just more bullshit.

So you don't have a calibrated micrometer(s)? measuring tenths with a caliper is like trying to measure 64ths with a yard stick, not gonna happen accurately.

I could make a digital caliper that would have 10 decimal places, doesn't make it more accurate, just more bullshit.
I was in a gage cal lab, watching my friend using a supermic, "settle" a standard in it.
IIRC qty (6) places, and the digits are flying by as he lightly tapped a pencil on the headstock.....:crazy:

Last edited:
We lost.
What exactly are you discussing now ?
For awhile, it involved "batteries".....
Now "dials" ????

A DRO could help calibrate the indicators. Cut a standard with a DRO and that might show that the Starretts need the dial twisted slightly CCW by .00025.
It's like you're not even listening. You CAN'T MEASURE tenths with a caliper, dial or digital. If you're lucky they're good to .001, but don't expect to hold a tolerance of .001 with them, especially if they haven't been calibrated. Four calipers, do you own a micrometer?

And they're not indicators, just a dial on a caliper.

You don't understand the idea here. It's not to measure a tenth. It's that all the needles don't hit the same mark when starting from zero.

Last edited:

Did you check out the fine print on that one? Says resolution = +/- .0005" or .01mm but accuracy = +/- .01" or 0.1mm - some rounding errors there too I guess. I'd steer well clear of those, myself. Better to get a good set of used calipers. My favorite are old Browne and Sharpe like the attached pic for mechanical dial; Mitutoyo for digital.brown_and_sharpe_dial_caliper_inch_metric_599-579-4_599579-5_599-579-14_5.jpg

You don't understand the idea here. It's not to measure a tenth. It's that all the needles don't hit the same mark.

Yes, by tenths... Which the tool in question is not really suited to measure. Also, much of the "difference" may only come down to the digitals rounding up anyway. They only read out in .0005" increments. So they will say 4.0005 from 4.0003 to 4.0007. there's no telling what they are actually reading by interpolation like with a dial. Nor what that size actually is; nor if the tool is positioned correctly to get the best reading...

Closed due to being meaningless nonsense. PS. You can rotate the dial and all of the calipers will measure the guitar string the same.
What an original thought. Rotate the dial to zero and then measure right. A visible difference between to sets of almost 1/2 division.
Some people can understand that and others call it nonsense. Mitutoyo and Starrett should track better than that. Especially new old
stock.

J hear rons, I like that:
The final nail in the coffin is that a cheapo free Chinese import probably out-classes all the other calipers mentioned.

Last edited:
What an original thought. Rotate the dial to zero and then measure right. A visible difference between to sets of almost 1/2 division.
Some people can understand that and others call it nonsense. Mitutoyo and Starrett should track better than that. Especially new old
stock.
Why don’t you go start a thread about which fittings are best for building an airplane out of EMT that you found in a field or something?

QT Because not about Dial kind.
The same Amazon store that has the plastic one for under $13 has other models,
some SS to.001 and some to .0005 All no-name brands.
I think it can be good to at least have some name on products.
Batteries for my swiss made B&S might be here today.
My old German Helios verniers from the 60s are still good for .002 or so with using my loupe to see the lines better

Last edited:

Back