What's new
What's new

MSDS / SDS availability ..

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Should a commercially available chemical have an easily accessible MSDS at any time?
I use Chemetall for for my coolant, and it is a company policy of BASF ( current rulers of Chemetall ) that an SDS is only available
to end users, and if such document is not supplied as an E-mail after the purchase, it must be requested from either BASF or the distributor ...

Am I completely wrong about having an easy access to an MSDS?

I have all the info for virtually all the stuff I commonly use ( waylube, hydraulic fluid, various cleaners etc ) or can get it in a jiffy, but this BASF policy is ...:nutter:

According to the OSHA brief I have linked, manufacturers and importers need to create and provide SDS to end users, but it does not seem to specify that the SDS needs to be publicly available. I am no expert in OSHA regs so maybe there is something somewhere that specifies accessibility of SDS for employers?

So long as they provide it, nobody ever said they had to make it easy, I suppose.

I'm slow I guess. Aren't you an end-user? You state right away you are USING the product in your shop.

I think the issue is that he needs to contact BASF and jump through hoops to get the SDS rather than BASF making it accessible like a simple download on their website or equivalent.

I think the issue is that he needs to contact BASF and jump through hoops to get the SDS rather than BASF making it accessible like a simple download on their website or equivalent.

Yupp, 'zactly that!
Curiously that is available for Austrian, Swiss and German customers ( as long as they create an online account with them ), but for all else it's SOL.
I do have it now ( found a distributor's website where it was posted ), but still....

Back