What's new
What's new

Reid-Prentice lathe serial no. 32489

Zeegravity

Plastic
A buddy of mine picked Reid-Prentice 10x36 lathe at the auction, serial number 32489. He did not realize the size of it, for sure he can't fit it into his basement, so it ended up in my shop. It is old, but a working machine, with chineese 3 jaws 10" chuck. It does come with a vedge-type tool post, jacobs drill chuck, live center, and a face plate and other 10" chuck in the chip bin. It is definitely a beast compared to my Clausing-Colchester 15x60. If anyone is interested or know someone, we are in Northern Virginia. The weight is around 5000lb +, we have airbags to move it around the shop floor and we can assist to load onto the trailer.
Cheers
Zdenek

Attachments

• Reid-Prentice .jpg
    Reid-Prentice .jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Reid-Prentice 1.jpg
    Reid-Prentice 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Reid-Prentice 2.jpg
    Reid-Prentice 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 99
John
This one came from Norfolk, VA. Is it possible it's a take off, from US navy ship? To off load it from his trailer we used my 5.5 ton excavator and it was struggling. For sure it's nice, tight machine that didn't get much use for someone who has the time to play with it.
Thanks for the reply
Zee

How much are you asking? I have the mid 30's version shown in the catalog posted by John O. I love it and use it every day.
All I know that he spent 500 and trip to Norfolk, VA to pick it up. Which is about 4 hours each way. For me it's more about the space it takes, it needs good home where it will be loved an used. Just in case here is my email. [email protected]
I can send more pictures or if you want to check it out we are located in Woodbridge, VA 22192

All I know that he spent 500 and trip to Norfolk, VA to pick it up. Which is about 4 hours each way. For me it's more about the space it takes, it needs good home where it will be loved an used. Just in case here is my email. [email protected]
I can send more pictures or if you want to check it out we are located in Woodbridge, VA 22192
You need to get with your friend, come up with a price, and then post it here.

You need to get with your friend, come up with a price, and then post it here.
I agree. While i would love to have another RP, it would be redundant to my needs and i don't have the space. However, if your freind prices it right, I suspect it would get snapped up assuming no major issues.

He said $1200?. It is 51" in overall height, 90" wide, and 48" in overall depth, and the bed is 13.75" wide. As I said before we could assist in loading it. I do have a car lift that should pick it up just fine

Attachments

• Reid-Prentice 3.jpg
    Reid-Prentice 3.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Reid-Prentice 4.jpg
    Reid-Prentice 4.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 34
$1200 is a fair price in my opinion. If anyone is looking for a really stout machine for hobby use, this would be a good choice. Looks to have one or two broken handles but if that's all that's wrong, it's probably not a bad deal. Machine configuration is very similar to Monarch's of that vintage, Mine (a bit older) has spur gears in the headstock as opposed to helical which makes it a bit loud. Also, looks to have manual bullet oilers on the carriage as opposed to Monarch's oil distribution system driven off the pump in the apron. I prefer the manual bullet oilers as the oil distribution system on my Monarch is all clogged up. If i were looking for a machine in this size range i'd jump on it assuming nothing is seriously broken. Many have said these machines have soft ways which would be an advantage if you wanted to take on a nice hand scraping restoration project.

It's still in my shop. I was told that it was running. I do have 3-ph in the shop so it could be tested. If someone is interested it's better to hit me on my email at [email protected] so can reply faster.

$1200 is a fair price in my opinion. If anyone is looking for a really stout machine for hobby use, this would be a good choice. Looks to have one or two broken handles but if that's all that's wrong, it's probably not a bad deal. Machine configuration is very similar to Monarch's of that vintage, Mine (a bit older) has spur gears in the headstock as opposed to helical which makes it a bit loud. Also, looks to have manual bullet oilers on the carriage as opposed to Monarch's oil distribution system driven off the pump in the apron. I prefer the manual bullet oilers as the oil distribution system on my Monarch is all clogged up. If i were looking for a machine in this size range i'd jump on it assuming nothing is seriously broken. Many have said these machines have soft ways which would be an advantage if you wanted to take on a nice hand scraping restoration project.
It is a solid machine like you said, there are some handles and a switch is broken, other than that it has all covers in place and intact.

Back