What's new
What's new

Motor wiring

Nate4570

Plastic
I just picked up a southbend lathe. Side plate says BC9-10. Motor is a 1/2 hp westinghouse with 4 wires. Fwd/reverse switch on lathe is southbend RSB4. Wire between switch and motor was cut. Trying to figure out correct pattern for rewiring.

Motor wires have t1 through t4 tags.

Its a 9b, dont know the year, late 40s to early 50 i would guess. Got the switch wiring figured out last night. Runs great

Hi, just happens I posted yesterday I have a Standard Electric original motor on my 9A lathe that needed new bushings. I have an original drum switch which worked great . I marked the motor wires before taking it apart and when I wired it back together it ran in reverse , forwards and backwards. So I would like to correct this but dont know which wires I need to change back to original. I have a few pictures I can send you . Also I can send you a picture of both sides of the switch if it helps. Its all wired my issue has got to be the motor.
Joe.

Attachments

• IMG-3659.jpg
    IMG-3659.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-3660.jpg
    IMG-3660.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-3661.jpg
    IMG-3661.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 15
The issue is not with the motor. The motor is doing what you told it to do. You just told it to do the backwards thing. If you'll interchange the position of the start winding leads on the switch it will run the way you want. Or, scratch out the "Fwd" and "Rev" labels on the switch and change them around. It'll all be OK!

doesn't sound difficult when you know what your doing

Attachments

• IMG-3659.jpg
    IMG-3659.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-3660.jpg
    IMG-3660.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-3661.jpg
    IMG-3661.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 5
I assume in the motor the start winding leads are from the cap which are the 2 thin wires, these supply higher or stronger voltage to the motor to get it running then the running wires take over and the starting cut out. So reversing the thin wires it should run correctly.
Yes?

Well that did nothing so last attempt I am sending out the switch. reversing the motor red and black did nothing reversing the thin cap wires I assume did nothing either. Im a machinist not an electrician. But I make my machines run correctly. Google "Artistic designs of antique tools", Joe Haesche in Branford , enjoy they will scroll through by moving the curser out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG-3681.jpg
    IMG-3681.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-3680.jpg
    IMG-3680.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3679.jpg
    IMG-3679.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3678.jpg
    IMG-3678.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 11
One can reverse the run winding wires, or the start winding wires, to reverse the sense of rotation. But not both.....
Hi Jim, thanks. As I stated I switched the small wires in the motor I believe are the capacitor wires and the 2 thick wires red and black i believe. Am I to believe by returning either pair will achieve my goal.

Thinking this over I believe I did nothing by changing these wires though the motor reversed before I removed them to replace the bushings. I get the sense I need to work the switch.

Not sure why the pictures ddn't show up they were quite clear. ll add then again.

Attachments

• IMG-4052.jpg
    IMG-4052.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-4053.jpg
    IMG-4053.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-4054.jpg
    IMG-4054.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-4055.jpg
    IMG-4055.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-4056.jpg
    IMG-4056.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 8
All set. Trial and error. One who takes pride in their SB doesn't settle for living with a switch that works in reverse. Simple things that make us happy .

All set. Trial and error. One who takes pride in their SB doesn't settle for living with a switch that works in reverse. Simple things that make us happy .
Someone that takes pride in their work, does not do trial and error when it comes to electrical wiring. Draw out a schematic of how it is currently wired, include motor wiring and the switch. Study it until you understand what wires need to be switched. Your pics tell me nothing, I could figure it by doing the steps above.

Hi, just happens I posted yesterday I have a Standard Electric original motor on my 9A lathe that needed new bushings. I have an original drum switch which worked great . I marked the motor wires before taking it apart and when I wired it back together it ran in reverse , forwards and backwards. So I would like to correct this but dont know which wires I need to change back to original. I have a few pictures I can send you . Also I can send you a picture of both sides of the switch if it helps. Its all wired my issue has got to be the motor.
Joe.
Hi Mr. Haesche, I joined the forum yesterday. I've been trying to figure out a motor on a 1940's South Bend lathe that looks like yours. The motor lead with the metal tag #8 was loose in the box. Can you tell me where this wire connects inside the motor? Does it connect directly to a motor winding? Or to the relay? The motor starts and runs as it should CCW, but I'm trying to figure out how to wire it for CW rotation. Thanks very much for any help you can give. Will

Back