What's new
What's new

South Bend 9a upgrade question

adamnlazybum

Plastic
So i just bought a sb 9a and I have taken it completely apart and have been cleaning every bit of it and degreasing. So now that I am doing that it gives me the opportunity to replace and upgrade some parts. I have been looking through google to find what I can upgrade in order to have a better lathe to turn with and the only thing I have found is the spindle thrust bearing upgrade aside from the wick and gasket replacements. In all honestly, the machine ran fine and smoothly despite its greasy and peeling paint situation, I just want to see if there are other options to make this lathe more enjoyable that it will probably be.

also, for the spindle thrust bearings that i purchased on mcmaster carr, I only ordered a single needle bearing and two washers for it, Did I need to order a second set for the rear side of the spindle or was one needle bearing enough?

Thanks for the help.

You can add oilers to the saddle so you don't have to do the old dump a puddle on the ways and drive over it routine. You can add felt way wipers to the tailstock. Something more involved is adding oil channels for the cross slide, compound and tailstock. I think someone did that in a thread with their 1920's wide 9".

You can add oilers to the saddle so you don't have to do the old dump a puddle on the ways and drive over it routine. You can add felt way wipers to the tailstock. Something more involved is adding oil channels for the cross slide, compound and tailstock. I think someone did that in a thread with their 1920's wide 9".
Great! Can never have too many priper oiling spots

So i just bought a sb 9a ... for the spindle thrust bearings that i purchased on mcmaster carr, I only ordered a single needle bearing and two washers for it, Did I need to order a second set for the rear side of the spindle or was one needle bearing enough? ...
My opinion is you only need the inside one. There's usually no thrust on the outside.

My opinion is you only need the inside one. There's usually no thrust on the outside.

Awesome i only ordered a single set so im going to just do that single one then, its not like its hard to disassemble the spindle anyways in case i need to add the second one! Thanks man ill stick to the single one.

ooh, that was me :) Those oilers have been an absolute blessing, they make it really easy to keep everything oiled and sort of clean

I can't take credit for the design. I copied it from someone else here or on another forum.
edit: Oyeah, put a little circle of 80-100 mesh down in the oiler hole to trap little chips.

When you are asking about upgrades? is this for the lathe itself, or for accessories to go with it? When I purchaced mine a few years back, it came with a 4C collet speed chuck. Which is nice. I have since adapted a dividing head set up, that can be attached to the spindle, among other things that can help do certain jobs.
I also added a 10k reverse gear set-up, that is a one of the most time saving things I have done. that is one that I would recomend. the hard part is finding a 10k reverse, I found mine on ebay, for 100 + a few years back but they are getting harder to find. here is a link to what I did. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-made-for-your-south-bend.147978/post-3241336

but your best bet to see what others have done is to go to this sticky https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/what-have-you-made-for-your-south-bend.147978/
and it will give you a lot of ideas

Last edited:
^ Yup, there it is in post 7. Make them bigger than the brass felt holder and you're good to go. Just start whittling.

Back