What's new
What's new

For Sale Vintage Books

stef.

Aluminum
I am starting to thin out my library on metal working books, they are all vintage and some are out of print. All books are in very good condition. They will be shipped via media mail. I can answer questions on content or subject matter.
Forge Practice -1914- $10.00---SALE PENDING
Machine Toolsof 1885 -1981-$5.00-sold
The Screw Cutting Lathe -1907- $10.00-sold
Machine Tool Operation -1959- $15.00-sold
Rogers Machinists Guide -1924- $15.00-sold
Shop Theory Henry Ford Trade School -1934- $20.00-soldIMG_0079.JPGIMG_0080.JPGIMG_0081.JPGIMG_0082.JPGIMG_0083.JPGIMG_0084.JPG

Last edited:
M.B. Naegle:

I've got the OP's USPS address and will be buying the forge work text. I'm sure you will enjoy the rest of the books. The OP is certainly pricing things fairly. I paid a good bit more for the Henry Ford machine shop course notes on eBay awhile ago. Interestingly, a lot of the material in the Henry Ford text looked vaguely familiar. Turns out the text used materials from a machine shop instruction textbook set by Burghardt. We used that set of books at Brooklyn Technical HS in the 1960's. Years later, for old time's sake, I picked up the two volume Burghardt set of machine shop books. I enjoy the old texts, and enjoy the illustrations, often done as 'steel line engravings' or 'half tones' (if I am describing the method of making the illustrations correctly). I've got the Rogers text as well, a bit tattered but complete. Can't remember where I got it, but it's based on even more ancient shop practices than the old Burghardt texts- and those related to lineshaft driven machine tools and often based work on the use of forged carbon steel cutting tools. Nice reading and nice references.

I have not done any messaging since the new format came about. Is this the new pm way to send messages??? If not I am clueless as to how to send a private message.

Thanks, George

M.B. Naegle:

I've got the OP's USPS address and will be buying the forge work text. I'm sure you will enjoy the rest of the books. The OP is certainly pricing things fairly. I paid a good bit more for the Henry Ford machine shop course notes on eBay awhile ago. Interestingly, a lot of the material in the Henry Ford text looked vaguely familiar. Turns out the text used materials from a machine shop instruction textbook set by Burghardt. We used that set of books at Brooklyn Technical HS in the 1960's. Years later, for old time's sake, I picked up the two volume Burghardt set of machine shop books. I enjoy the old texts, and enjoy the illustrations, often done as 'steel line engravings' or 'half tones' (if I am describing the method of making the illustrations correctly). I've got the Rogers text as well, a bit tattered but complete. Can't remember where I got it, but it's based on even more ancient shop practices than the old Burghardt texts- and those related to lineshaft driven machine tools and often based work on the use of forged carbon steel cutting tools. Nice reading and nice references.
I find period books to be very helpful in filling in gaps in knowledge. They're often the only resource when the people who actually did things are not around to coach you. Reprints and new books about old things help too, but I like the older volumes as little details like the printers information or notes from previous owners can make a difference. Seeing the progression of how information changes over time helps too, as you learn from others success and failure without having to repeat it.

Back