What's new
What's new

Is a 5C collet Chuck what I need?

That's interesting they look so similar

They look vaguely similar, but that's about all that's similar. I've used both in shops. Bought a Hardinge for myself. The Rubber-Flex (I flubbed the name earlier) has the same issue as the ER collets also - a plug is needed at the other end of the collet if you want to grip something short. If the plug isn't used, you get much the same effect as a bellmouthed set of chuck jaws.

So the Sjogren features list shows that they work with a variety of collets. Does that mean they can vend you a chuck that will work with the collet of your choice, or that one chuck will work with any of them?

Handwheel actuation for easy open and close
  • Utilizes standard 2J, 5C, 3J and 22J collets
  • Versatile solutions for milling, grinding, and turning
  • For stationary and turning operations
  • Original sjogre (sho-grün) system
  • 5C handwheel diameter = 9.000’’
  • J Style handwheel = 10.000’’
  • 7.000’’handwheels available upon request
  • D-11 Mounts available upon request

So the Sjogren features list shows that they work with a variety of collets. Does that mean they can vend you a chuck that will work with the collet of your choice, or that one chuck will work with any of them?

Handwheel actuation for easy open and close
  • Utilizes standard 2J, 5C, 3J and 22J collets
  • Versatile solutions for milling, grinding, and turning
  • For stationary and turning operations
  • Original sjogre (sho-grün) system
  • 5C handwheel diameter = 9.000’’
  • J Style handwheel = 10.000’’
  • 7.000’’handwheels available upon request
  • D-11 Mounts available upon request

You have to pick which one you want to buy. The noses aren't made to be interchangeable unless you'd like to disassemble the entire collet chuck - which is not an easy task. Pretty sure the pins (gear studs) are interference fit. The J collet series go quite a bit larger than 5C. I think 2J max is 1⅜" and 3J is max 1¾".

rovi20t7.gif

Last edited:
Only lathe I used a Sjogren/Hardinge type on didn't have enough drag on the spindle to hold it in place while you opened and closed it. Had to change to a slower speed, or yank on the wheel to use it.

My Graziano 12S came with a Royal lever closer. Problem with it, the morse spindle adapter is too short to easily reach with normal turning tools. And it's an extended adapter. A 'D' mount and longer draw tube are on my list for 'someday'. The other is to cut a hole thru the rear cover so the bracket doesn't need to be removed to open it. I regularly need it open for setting up rifle barrels.

Hence the chuck key activated Bison 5c ...

I made a speeder handle for cranking the collet in/out.

Only lathe I used a Sjogren/Hardinge type on didn't have enough drag on the spindle to hold it in place while you opened and closed it. Had to change to a slower speed, or yank on the wheel to use it.

My Graziano 12S came with a Royal lever closer. Problem with it, the morse spindle adapter is too short to easily reach with normal turning tools. And it's an extended adapter. A 'D' mount and longer draw tube are on my list for 'someday'. The other is to cut a hole thru the rear cover so the bracket doesn't need to be removed to open it. I regularly need it open for setting up rifle barrels.

Hence the chuck key activated Bison 5c ...

I made a speeder handle for cranking the collet in/out.

That is true. I usually just switch to a lower gear (spindle off) if I need to use a LOT of clamping power. For my lathe that's a single flip of one lever, so pretty easy. If I'm doing a job that doesn't require max clamping power I just hold the foot brake (also convenient, not all machines have that) and close/open the collet that way. Doesn't really take much twist on the Hardinge/Sjogren handwheel to hold pretty tightly with the gear reduction.

If I was running larger production type runs I'd probably try to set up a lever or air closer too. For the kind of stuff I do it's rare to make more than 10 items, so doesn't bother me a bit.

I'd like capacity but in truth anything much over 1/2" fits fine in the 6 jaw.

Well, it's been over 2 days and no new-in-box chucks have popped up on Ebay for cheap. I went ahead and used the 6 jaw / collet chuck combination and made some rods. These are .093" SS, 8" long with the threaded end at 2-56. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the threads, but they're there. I made a 'special' die holder and the tailstock to keep it straight.

These are 'frog rods' used in the Bally 'Scared Stiff' pinball machine....they sit in a hole then pop up about 6" when you hit the target. They see a fair amount of force and tend to break loose over time. the threaded rod threads into a 'set screw' that is then threaded into the frog's belly.

Attachments

• frogs lr.jpg
    frogs lr.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Scared Stiff.jpg
    Scared Stiff.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 19
ER's are fine for some stuff, but if you need to grip on a small section that doesn't pass through the collet, they don't work. With a 5C you can grip on 1/8" if you need to.
Place another piece of stock at rear of collet, it will function precisely the same with what you're holding as a 5C

I have one of these adapters to fit in the spindle nose. Super accurate and relatively inexpensive. You will need to make a drawbar and handwheel, which is not that hard.

There are so many ways to do this and they all work well, but in the end, the best way is a small lathe for small parts. I bought a SB 10k new from SB in 1981. I bought it loaded. I have all the accessories. I also have a 13x40 and a 18x54 lathes and they too are fully loaded. I can do small parts on all these lathes. I have 3C, 5C, Jacobs 900 series collets and chucks for all, but the go to machine is the 10k. It is easier to use and faster for small parts.

I'd like a high quality small lathe but ....I gotta stop buying more and more tools. Floor space is already at a premium.

Place another piece of stock at rear of collet, it will function precisely the same with what you're holding as a 5C
It will, but its one more thing to make or find, and its a royal pain in the butt to get it there and keep it there especially if changing parts a lot. When I end up gripping short its usually on a step from a larger piece so 'same size' stock probably isn't real handy nearby.

I have a fluted handwheel on my drawbar and holes in it for a bar for times I need lots of tightening. Most smaller delicate parts can be tightened by hand, and that is the bulk of collet work for me. If I was going to go into production, I’d buy a lever closer. Funny/not funny that I can tighten parts much better with my right hand but the handwheel is on the left. Grrrr.

I also especially like that collets don’t really damage or mark parts, even soft materials like aluminum.

Make a long draw tube like you’d use with typical 5c spindle adapter but use it with the collet block held in your chuck. A little harder to reach on a lathe your size but still manageable.
if you are going to go to that effort, why not just swap out for a proper collet setup? for a one off, put the hex collet block in the 6 jaw rear nut and all. for more, take off the chuck and setup for collets...??? after all it is a camlock so 30 seconds or so..

if you are going to go to that effort, why not just swap out for a proper collet setup? for a one off, put the hex collet block in the 6 jaw rear nut and all. for more, take off the chuck and setup for collets...??? after all it is a camlock so 30 seconds or so..
For me it is not the time per se, but the weight in handling a larger chuck. since unlike a standard 5C rig, an extended collet block nut would not require bearing on the spindle other than for rough concentricity, it would not be that much work. But yeah, I don't think I would bother. Setting the collet block against the face of the jaws with a scale or parallel would be close enough for anything that is close enough to use a collet block in the jaws

My Whacheon has an A series spindle nose which makes it a pain to change a 12” chuck on. And then find an A series collet chuck that isn’t designed for a power drawbar. Some of the common ones (hardinge) have to be disassembled to get to the mounting bolts.

Otherwise you have to get / make an A series backplate and find a key operated chuck that mounts without interfering with the nose bolts.

Having a lathe one can easily turn their own collet holder with it having a sizable through-hole. and a line-up mark to the same chuck jaw and on the line. This will run much truer than any catalog holder...and it can be tickled at a future time when the non-independent cuck gets a little more off.

Agree if your non-independent chuck runs close enough then a catalog collet holder is OK.
The best collets run .0002, and with them, .0005 to .001 can be a hassle because of other issues.
Making your own or a catalog version, having an Adjust True might be the answer if needing tenths.

Last edited:

Back