What's new
What's new

In need of an Armstrong #41 Tool Holder

blueheron

Plastic
I need an Armstrong Bros. #41 tool holder for my Cincinnati 24" shaper. I've completely refurbished the machine, including a new motor. Now I just need a tool holder for it. The #41 seems to be the correct size according to the Armstrong catalog. And to think they only cost $7.85 in 1952. My email address is: [email protected]

Thanks . . . Chuck

Last edited:
This is what one looks like.

Steve

Attachments

• Armstrong-41-shaper-tool-holder-clean-partpix-1[1].jpg
    Armstrong-41-shaper-tool-holder-clean-partpix-1[1].jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 53
I need an Armstrong Bros. #41 tool holder for my Cincinnati 24" shaper. I've completely refurbished the machine, including a new motor. Now I just need a tool holder for it. The #41 seems to be the correct size according to the Armstrong catalog. And to think they only cost $7.85 in 1952. My email address is: [email protected]

Thanks . . . Chuck
Did you do a true reconditioning (scrape all bearing surfaces and verify correct alignment) or just a complete clean up and fix broken stuff? If a true reconditioning, i'd be very interested in your experience. Particularly removal of the ram and what you found when you removed it.

I did a complete clean up. I did not remove the ram as all the ways still had their scraping marks in great shape. This machine hadn't been used much. The motor was bad so I had to replace it. That involved machining new motor mounts and boring the drive pulley for the larger motor shaft. This machine has the power down feed too.

I did a complete clean up. I did not remove the ram as all the ways still had their scraping marks in great shape. This machine hadn't been used much. The motor was bad so I had to replace it. That involved machining new motor mounts and boring the drive pulley for the larger motor shaft. This machine has the power down feed too.
Gotcha, thanks. Mine is a 16" universal. I love it. I too did a fair amount of clean up. Mine cuts fine but there's a small amount of galling on the ram ways. At some point, I may pull the ram, clean the ways and check all for flatness and alignment. I'm envious of the power down feed.

Good luck. Mine is the 24" "Standard". I drove 36 hours to go pick it up and bring it home. At over 6,000 pounds it was a bear to get off my trailer. I bought machinery skates to move it, but ended up having to machine a crosshatch pattern in the plates as the machine kept wanting to slip off. This one is my dream machine as it has the power down feed, the universal table, a big 12" vise, and is in great shape. I have a no-name straight tool holder for it, but would really like to get the multi-positional holder.

Thanks . . . Chuck

Thanks . . . Chuck
Hi, during your reconditioning did you find a source for new oil filters ? Thanks.

Back