What's new
What's new

Looking for ID Grooving tooling help

Cole2534

Diamond
I need to do some ID grooves on the lathe. .125" wide, 1.22" diameter, .25" in the hole, 1" entry. Material is 1026 DOM tubing, machine is a QT15n. Initial QTY is 20, so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but so far I've landed in the $500 range for a bar and inserts (10pk). That's not an absolute deal killer, but damn does it really cut into my economics. This leads me to 2 questions-

1) Is there a ubiquitous bar/insert combo that I could find 2nd hand?
1a) Anyone got something laying around they no longer need?

2) If I'm going to spend the money, who offers the most flexible bar in that range? If there was a bar that could take inserts for threading, profiling and grooving that would really be the cat's ass.
2A) Who has the easiest catalog to navigate for this stuff? Kenna, Iscar, Sandvik....pretty useless catalogs IMO.

If I can't find a solution that I like I'll do it in the mill with a keyseat cutter. The perfect tool is $34 and these parts go the mill for additional work on the end anyhow, I just greatly prefer all my round features done at once for obvious reasons.

Thanks PM!

Last edited:
Have you tried looking at Thinbit? Seems like you should be able to find something there that would work for this job and be flexible enough for future jobs.

I have found Thinbit parts sold on Amazon.com

Thanks guys! Didn't realize Shars was an option and totally forgot about Thinbit. I have several other top notch bars, hopefully that works.

For 20 pcs., an inexpensive Top Notch bar would work fine:

I have a couple of Shars' Top Notch bars. For occasional use, they are fine. Kennametal inserts fit.

Bill

You can't use a size 3 insert with that bar that has size 2 insert pocket.
Good recommendation though. Very affordable for what OP needs to do and should work well (with size 2 inserts obviously 😉).

Braced carbide bar will work if low QTY, but will still be $175. Just ran into this and basically spent $450 on an internal grooving bar and 10X inserts
What'd you go with? Currently leaning toward something in the NT2 flavor. Tool-Flo supports all kinds of shit for the oil/gas industry so it makes sense for me to go that way. I don't do any of that work now, but I certainly could be.

I had a smaller slot to cut in some aluminum for an 0.087" wide snap ring groove
Was Iscar PN 2801151 GEHIR 15.9-16-2-T3

Min Dia was 0.630

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/item.aspx?cat=2801151&fnum=1401&mapp=TG&app=1&GFSTYP=I

for the larger inserts you probably need the larger holder like this one

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/item.aspx?cat=2801776&fnum=1401&mapp=TG&app=1&GFSTYP=I&isoD=1

and one of these inserts to fit it..

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Fami...tem2=&ssOrder=&loc=&IC=&Pos=&repID=&pID=&cID=

my tooling rep is amazing for finding me tools, in whatever i need. and even drops them off to my door on his way home. amazing guy here in ontario canada

Last edited:

Back