What's new
What's new

Oliver patternmakers mill

Attachments

• Oliver 103.jpg
    Oliver 103.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Was that a 103? I love my 102s. I think the only other wood working machinery of this size and capacity were the Wadkin mills. In my opinion the Oliver has a slightly more useful bed configuration than the Wadkins. I can‘t imagine what would make any of the Oliver or Wadkin mills seem crude by comparison. Search for my YouTube videos for in depth material

Wendell Castle had one for sale a few years ago.
Even before he went with the cnc robot, i don't think he actually ever found much use for it.
Can't recall which model pattern mill. It's probably still there.

Could not figure out where to put it in my shop.
But realistically most work i would think of using it for is better done on a mill, or mill with rotary table, or the metal planer with rotary, dividing head, tracer etc.

smt

The top dog were the Zimmerman mills followed by the Wadkin I guess.

I do have a bit of bias though as I am chopping out some shiplaps in 6/4 teak boards this morning on my Wadkin LQ…

AC535273-B84A-4C93-B845-389A4072A9A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sort of a pattern mill :)
1:12 scarf joints on planer

DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0074.JPGDSC_0077.JPG

The fixture/wooden bedplate on the metal planer was actually made 30+ years ago and used in the wood planer, to make scarf joints on long redwood and such for bending laminations for decks and trellises, or curved/round house trim. But it is easier to use on the metal planer.

stephen thomas, what's the router head on that from? And how old? Looks vaguely 1950's to me, but I don't recognize the make.

That is gorgeous!

what's the router head on that from? And how old? Looks vaguely 1950's to me, but I don't recognize the make.

Sorry, sfriedberg - i missed seeing this.
It is a Rockwell, supplied primarily in their low budget so called pin router.
It could mount in the overarm, or up under/through the small table. Rockwell took over the Duro line sometime in the mid 1960's, you are correct that the original dates to the 50's,. maybe even late 40's. After Rockwell took over, I think they were still being made right up until production went to Brazil, but i have lost track of time, so maybe the late 80's?

See pages 7 through 11 for several machines they were originally used in:
Rockwell only continued the lightest duty machine, the Duro "router-shaper-carver" & renamed it a pin router in some publications, but it is very poor for that due to inadequate table pin and options, and spring loaded (not positive) table rise and fall.

The design of the router head is good - bearings and spindle for the cutterhead section are independent of the motor shaft. Biggest drawback is the unit screws to raise or lower it as a table router. The cord winds up and gets frayed and it is just a nuisance anyway. The 1/2" integral split collet chuck is ok to fairly decent, not quite where more modern individual/interchangeable collets are these days.

The router heads were available in 115 or 230V. Woodworkers Supply was selling a few NOS units just last year for reasonable prices, but i could not quite decide to pull the trigger. I actually use a more modern, quick detachable router under the Rockwell table, but it took a lot of adaptation.

smt

Last edited:
Wendell Castle had one for sale a few years ago.
Even before he went with the cnc robot, i don't think he actually ever found much use for it.
Can't recall which model pattern mill. It's probably still there.

Could not figure out where to put it in my shop.
But realistically most work i would think of using it for is better done on a mill, or mill with rotary table, or the metal planer with rotary, dividing head, tracer etc.

smt

Wendell Castle had a 103 according to the machine registry at Vintage Machinery

I have a tour of my first 102 on YouTube:
Episode 1 - Oliver Pattern Mill an Introduction to the 102

I am pattern and model maker,
I have 40 years patternshop in Bavaria near Munich - Germany
It has been my life's dream to live and work in America and I will be comming soon

Attachments

• img20180210_12353234c.jpg
    img20180210_12353234c.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 16
Stephen,
I'm starting from the beginning here,
I hope it will be good
greting

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_000512207_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220112_000512207_HDR.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11