What's new
What's new

Hoping to find some info on Hendey 14x30 lathe serial #36076

acmeanvil

Plastic
Hi All,
Long time reader, first time poster.

@hendeyman, thank you in advance! I am looking for any info on a Hendey 14x30 lathe with the serial number 36076 (stamped on the tailstock end of the bed). It is still under power and in relatively good shape outside Boston.

acmeanvil:

Hendey lathe No. 36076, a 14" x 30", 18 Speed, Geared Head model was completed on July 26, 1944. The following information was taken from the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: March 15, 1944
Date Started: April 13, 1944
Sold to: General Radio Company, 30 State Street, Cambridge A, Massachusetts
Sold by: Welch
Via: Freight
Wanted: Priority AA-3, No Urgency, Wanted May 15, 1944
Description: 14" x 30" _ 18 speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - To swing 16-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular equipment (as shown in catalog)
Timken roller bearings on main spindle - Multiple splined shafts
Taper spindle nose
Spindle speeds - 19 to 1000 R.P.M.
High Speed reversing Mechanism
Taper attachment
Furnish and Fit Sjogren #2 collet chuck for direct mounting on #1 taper spindle nose; together
with 21 collets from 1/8" to 1-3/8" inclusive by 16ths
Furnish and fit Cushman 8" 3 jaw universal chuck #8236E5
Furnish and fit Cushman 10" 4 jaw independent chuck #102140E5
Arranged for vee belt connected motor drive with motor cabinet leg
Furnish and fit ball bearing motor, 5 HP, 550 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles, 1200 RPM, frame 284;
together with reversing magnetic starter
Furnish and fit Hendey reversing push button built into gear box

There are still some Patterns, Castings and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still
in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

A history of the General Radio Company (GENRAD) Teradyne bought them in 2001 but kept the GENRAD name and a few of their products going. The old buildings are mostly MIT labs and artsy galleries when I was last in the area a dozen or so yrs ago.

Acme Anvil was this the same machine that has been on CL in Berlin MA for the past few weeks?
@hendyman, thank you for all the info, your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Peroni,
It is indeed. It is in remarkable condition for being found in a rainstorm 20 or so years ago (a testament to the man who found it) and looks like the three original chucks have also remained with it. It needs a new reverse contactor, a little wiring clean up and a splash of paint, but seems solid after a cursory inspection.

Sorry, it is the clutch release. The expanded question is: would it normally be connect to something rather than just have a counterweight to hold it in place?

Sorry, it is the clutch release. The expanded question is: would it normally be connect to something rather than just have a counterweight to hold it in place?
You may be able to make out some of those parts

Attachments

• Clutch Parts Hendey.jpg
    Clutch Parts Hendey.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Hudson, I missed the second linkage headed back to the clutch lever
You are welcome! Your cross feed appears to be equipped with the retracting feature feature (square headed shaft on the headstock side of the cross feed). That is very handy when cutting threads the Hendey way, it enables you to retract the cutting tool when the carriage reverses as opposed to backing the cross-feed out using the cross-feed screw.

You are welcome! Your cross feed appears to be equipped with the retracting feature feature (square headed shaft on the headstock side of the cross feed). That is very handy when cutting threads the Hendey way, it enables you to retract the cutting tool when the carriage reverses as opposed to backing the cross-feed out using the cross-feed screw.
That was one of the key selling point for me, now I just need to make a cool little lever for it

Back