What's new
What's new

anyone with experience with RobbJack FMHV end mills$$ on large HP aluminum only mills?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
I been tasked with setting up and programming a new Makino Mag1 for aero structure parts. 7 series AL only. We also purchased 1 month of time at Mason Ohio Makino center for app training and prove out our 1st 2 parts on their Mag1 they have set up there. So far, I have been very impressed with the application support in our preparation. Our first on site meeting I was provided with a 250 page book describing how to run/program this machine. RobbJack makes a line of endmills they advertise for this application. The cost of these plus 4-week lead has me hesitant. Does anyone here have knowledge of this type of large horsepower Al cutting.

We have 3 large SNK profilers however they have half the RPM and are noodles. We cannot run them like they we hoped. Also, we have purchased a tap testing kit to help with dialing in rpms and that will help with all our other machines.

Thanks,
steve austin

Is that what Makino is recommending? Do you currently use a tool salesman/brand for your existing needs? I don't think of Robb Jack when I think about 1" endmills pulling a 60hp cut lol.
If you have the money for a big boy machine like that, you should have suppliers lining up to tool that baby up.

Steve, what is a tap testing kit?
Charles
It is a set of tools and instruments used to determine the resonant frequencies of a tool assembly when mounted in the spindle. Then the frequency data is used to determine spindle speeds that will avoid the frequencies that would be naturally harmonic. A great tool for determining starting points for cutting conditions on high RPM and high HP spindles.

Sales guy told me that the Robb Jack was really good at thin wall landing gear spar type of work. Made on the Makino Mag machine, Why would you go against Makino techs? Price is high but all of the things I have ever used from them have been Top Notch.

Sales guy told me that the Robb Jack was really good at thin wall landing gear spar type of work. Made on the Makino Mag machine, Why would you go against Makino techs? Price is high but all of the things I have ever used from them have been Top Notch.
Well they did not say you must you these. It was more like"this company has a list of endmills taylored to this machine, but any top brand endmills will work."

I don't want to list prices but lets say they are about 5x the standard top brands we are buying. However, they have thru tool cool installed in the core, not done with an ed machine.

They might be worth every penny. Just asking if anyone had any experience.

Here is a vid of their tool on this machine:

Back