What's new
What's new

Can this ~12 foot mast forklift be road hauled on a double drop trailer ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
...without disconnecting the mast. From a bit of research it seems the double drop gooseneck trailer height range is 18 to 24". The actual height of the Hyundai mast is 140"... thus at 21" trailer height, mast would be just under the 13.5' max for road travel. Or am I missing something ? ( like for example maybe RGN's that low are really hard to come by ? )

Attachments

• IMG_3611-1.jpg
    IMG_3611-1.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The mast height may be under the limit depending if the mast can tilt forward enough.

I've also seen it where the back tires are up on the taller part of the trailer deck causing the forklift to tilt forward even more, thus reducing the effective mast height.

Last edited:
The mast height may be under the limit depending if the mast can tilt forward enough.

I've also seen it where the back tires are up on the taller part of the trailer deck causing the forklift to tilt forward even more, thus reducing the effective mast height.
It does forward tilt way more than a typical warehouse forklift...but since there is only a few inches of free lift, the forks would have to be removed. But that's doable...way less trouble than disconnecting the mast ! (presumably disconnecting mast only after it's on the trailer...sounds like a major PITA... )

Last edited:
It does forward tilt way more than a typical warehouse forklift...but since there is only a few inches of free lift, the forks would have to be removed. But that's doable...way less trouble than disconnecting the mast ! (presumably disconnecting mast only after it's on the trailer...sounds like a major PITA... )
That was going to be one suggestion - raise or remove the forks and tilt the mast to its most extreme angle. I cringe at the thought of disconnecting a mast on a trailer mounted unit rather than a rigid concrete floor. Having removed a mast to replace worn bushings I know how careful you have to be to prevent the heavy mast from swinging into things and a combination of suspension movement and possible wind gusts could make the operation very dicy.

...without disconnecting the mast. From a bit of research it seems the double drop gooseneck trailer height range is 18 to 24". The actual height of the Hyundai mast is 140"... thus at 21" trailer height, mast would be just under the 13.5' max for road travel. Or am I missing something ? ( like for example maybe RGN's that low are really hard to come by ? )

Why not call whoever might be transporting it on their trailer and ask? That's the only person's opinion that will matter, and likely they could answer the question without much thought I bet.

Also the free lift available will only matter when raising the forklift forks in normal use. The carriage position is only related to the lift height through gravity on the chains, the carriage will ride up the mast and the chains will slack if something other than the mast is used to lift. no? (I'm not recommending to tilt forward and leave the weight of the carriage on the fork tips, but could block the carriage up at the mast)

I can't see it taking any significant amount of time to pull the tilt pins and lean the mast forward with chains either though, like is normally done to transport.

Last edited:
This afternoon I measured the mast tilted forward and that does reduce the height by about 5”… (with forks removed). I posted a new video that shows full tilt both ways

Take a chain come along and attach it to the cage. Other end to the mast. raise or remove the forks. remove the tilt pins and let the come along out to tilt it forward. Set a second chain to backup the come along when you get the mast tilted to where you need. Done.

Back