What's new
What's new

Hog wash

I just made note that the OP says he uses a "chain Conveyor" and I an wondering if it has belting at all, or just cross cleats?

In any case, adding decent belting underfoot, with enough cleats to keep the animals from scrabbling in panic, or getting caught in, seems the first good step.

This reminds me of a recent lunch conversation I had about raising domesticated haggis. It’s actually quite difficult to exercise them in a feeding lot given the legs on one side are shorter than the other.

Haggis is nasty. Who would ever want to raise them, especially since their coat has little value.

Haggis
Scottish dish consisting of a sheep's or calf's offal mixed with suet, oatmeal, and seasoning and boiled in a bag, traditionally one made from the animal's stomach:
"an enormous haggis was paraded through the hall" · "we had haggis for supper"

In some states, you can buy Scrapple like a sausage made of a lot of slaughterhouse scraps.

Scrapple. Mystery meat. Lips and, well, scraps. Scrapple is scorned by many, loved by those who know.
It is sometimes called Livermush.

Scrapple is usually pork but haggis might be lamb or other meats.

Last edited:
OTOH it is great fun to describe scrapple and watch the uninitiated/fussy turn green. It is good stuff, but must be cooked right. My daughter loves haggis but is disgusted and appalled by the very idea of scrapple... teenagers...

MB, I think you’re mixing up real haggis with fictional wild haggis. I’m going for the latter, makes for a much more entertaining conversation. The real stuff wasn’t to my taste, but it wasn’t that bad either. Makes a decent topping for a baked potato.

OTOH it is great fun to describe scrapple and watch the uninitiated/fussy turn green. It is good stuff, but must be cooked right. My daughter loves haggis but is disgusted and appalled by the very idea of scrapple... teenagers...
Local butcher shop made very good Headcheese, put that on rye toast with mayo.....Everyone else's headcheese is mostly galantine, cartilage, and junk.

headcheese is mostly galantine, cartilage, and junk.
Likely good for you bone marrow is good for retaining joint health.
I didn't like it when I was a kid, and likely still don't like it.
This was different, more meat, and good stuff at that.

Back