What's new
What's new

NEED HELP identifying Clark Ross forklift

Anyway, to clear up the filter issue, I did find one that works, after I cleaned an inch of sludge from the bottom of the canister and discovered the center pipe is flared at the bottom to about 1". Went on the Wix website and tracked down a filter using dimensions from the old one - a very painless process! Found one (51160) with a rubber seal at each end that seat nicely in the canister top and bottom. - score!

If anyone has more info to offer on my machine please reply to this thread. Thanks!

Anyway, to clear up the filter issue, I did find one that works, after I cleaned an inch of sludge from the bottom of the canister and discovered the center pipe is flared at the bottom to about 1". Went on the Wix website and tracked down a filter using dimensions from the old one - a very painless process! Found one (51160) with a rubber seal at each end that seat nicely in the canister top and bottom. - score!

That is a filter designed in the 1990's for BMW cars. Did you try a 1010 (WIX 51010) filter in there first? Because it does not look like the right filter design to fit that old canister.

That is a filter designed in the 1990's for BMW cars. Did you try a 1010 (WIX 51010) filter in there first? Because it does not look like the right filter design to fit that old canister.
I didn't try it because the stem inside the canister is flared at the base to a diameter of about 15/16" and the 51010 has an inside diameter of 0.55" at both ends. The canister lid also has a spring loaded surface that nicely seats on the 1" gasket of my filter in the picture.

Usually bypass housings have a spring crimped into the top,so as you undo the bolt/nut ,the top lifts off...........back in the day ,engine makers didnt use full flow filters ,because owners were too stingy to change them ,and the oil supply would block off .....a lot of the big WW2 engines have a bank of 3 or 4 bypass filters along the side of the block .........remote mounted is more common with smaller motors........only Hercules flathead I recall with a full flow was the WXLC3 that had a sort of a stack of felt squares in a steel housing.....the engine also had 2 bypass filters.

Back