What's new
What's new

Tips in general, little discussion , just the tips,

Save some of the old bearing id or od or inner rings races to make emergency punches for gaskets,shims ect. Use scrap for handles, turn with carbide(the edge will be sharp enough) by machining the edge on the od or id or any ware in between you can juggle the size. Obviously use a wood or plastic backer. Never had one chip.

Attachments

• 20230113_080124.jpg
    20230113_080124.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 35
Another iteration on a vice stop and some oilers for a Kurt vise(under the oilers I put some felts that hold oil and keeps the rust down, I used flush mounts on another vise). The vice stop is just a long copy of a standard back mount. I rarely have to remove it but will reach long stuff easly. Click on to enlarge.

Attachments

• 20210914_115849.jpg
    20210914_115849.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 81
Sirs,
I once worked at a shop where everything we did we had to Jerry rig for lack of tooling / tools. That's where I learned to do everything with nothing. In need of a strap wrench I took a box end wrench and an endless lifting strap and choked the wrench right below the boxed end. I then wrapped the strap around the work piece and then down through the box end creating a very effective strap wrench. I think you can figure that out without a diagram or photo.

Bob....not the cat.

Last edited:
I tried the "put a shim under the lower hinge to raise a sagging /dragging door" and it worked. I used 3 pieces of tar paper on the lowest hinge and two on the second up hinge.
It sure beats taking off and shaving the bottom of the door.
One problem with taking off the door is that you do not know how much to take off

Last edited:
Keep your wire wheels and brushes sharp so they actually machine and not rub. Hold a stone lightly against a wire wheel as it is running. This puts a flat end on each wire. A light application of the stone after every few minutes of wheel use keeps it at optimum performance. Flying wires will become a thing of the past.
A side wheel tool grinder works best for truing and sharpening wire brushes.

I’d recommend tossing old wheels as the wires are all fatigued from abuse. New wheels need sharpening also . sharp wheels will leave a “sand blasted“ surface on softer materials.

I tried the "put a shim under the lower hinge to raise a sagging /dragging door" and it worked. I used 3 pieces of tar paper on the lowest hinge and two on the second up hinge.
It sure beats taking off and shaving the bottom of the door.
One problem with taking off the door is that you do not know how much to take off
you'll find it quicker and easier to pull one bottom hinge half and bend it to preload the door to lift ,then put it back on..

Use anti-seize.

Change all your fluids when due, not just the oil.

Don't use your hands to bang on stuff.

Throw away worn-out, rounded, broken tools...replace with quality.

Learn how to fix your own stuff.

ToolCat
After using my hands as soft hammers for years arthritus has began to set in it is no fun at all. Comes and goes but some days I can hardly lift or grip with my left hand. Don't think the arthritus was caused by the beating but it sure didn't help.

Zip tie a paint strainer bag around foot valve strainers. Usually the mesh on the strainers is too big to do much good. Zip tie it loose so there is more area before it stops up. For a buck keep most of that crap out of the rest of your system.

The big rectangular shape washing detergent plastic jugs are just the right size for a paint roller.
..Set the roller in the bucket 3/4 full of water for a half hour as you clean up the job site. Just dump the water-soluble paint on the lawn so it doesn't spill in your truck
When you get home refill the bucket (with the roller) to soak for overnight.
Yes, give a hose spray in the morning to make it like new.

Skidding up Boxes:

I have had the glue on a few boxes fail at the shipping table over the years.
Can't say that I have ever had one fail in shipment, but:

These days I skid up my boxes with the glue seam pointed inside, so that even if it was to fail, the adjacent boxes will keep it from leaking. But just being pointed "in" would likely be enough to keep it from failing to begin with.

Same thought pattern:

I have an undersized box made to slip inside my 8's for double boxing in UPS.
(I don't typically double box LTL shipment)
I also now try to have the glue seams 180* from each other there as well.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back