What's new
What's new

Large train derailment in Ohio.

Last edited:
Scary shit. Tanker car full of vinyl chloride with a stuck overpressure valve. Plan was to put a shaped charge on the tank and blow a hold in it, ignite the contents via flares in a ditch nearby. This is Red Adair time!
Done and over. The video of it happening looked impressive/deadly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mod Note ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Folks, I've removed some personal insult posts, lets try to keep it civil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently. 20 billion tons of material are moved on the rails in the us each year, and besides for stupid people trying to cross in front of trains you almost never hear of any issues.

Although according to AAR.org:
More than 99.9% of all hazmat moved by rail reaches its destination without a release caused by a train accident.
Which seems pretty shitty... That means that for every 1000 hazmat trains, one of them crashes.

Reactions: Ox
Happy to see no sudden loss of life with this event...........also much more spectacular than shooting down Xi's balloon.
You guys south of the border are really nailing it this week.

Back in the early 1980's we got our first Hazmat director for the county, and he gave a talk about such things.
To drive his point home, he said "you know the chemical that killed 40,000 people in Bophal India ?, Well that same chemical comes from Buffalo, thru Erie, going westward every week"

I wonder if they send in the feds like they do for a plane crash.
Rail inspection portals are getting more popular, They often detect things that people inspectors miss.
Captures various areas of interest on the car or locomotive underside including truck inner spring nest, traction motor, axles, brake linkages and securement, center bolster, and in most cases tread brake condition.

I wonder if they send in the feds like they do for a plane crash.
Rail inspection portals are getting more popular, They often detect things that people inspectors miss.
Captures various areas of interest on the car or locomotive underside including truck inner spring nest, traction motor, axles, brake linkages and securement, center bolster, and in most cases tread brake condition.

NTSB will be investigating

Its amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently. 20 billion tons of material are moved on the rails in the us each year, and besides for stupid people trying to cross in front of trains you almost never hear of any issues.

Although according to AAR.org:

Which seems pretty shitty... That means that for every 1000 hazmat trains, one of them crashes.
We have a mixed use line near the center of town, passengers by day and freight during the late hours. Years ago someone with a close relative who worked for the railroad said they had been told that if people knew what passed through after midnight they wouldn't be able to sleep nights.

Of course risk is nothing new. A battery factory burned with spectacular explosions about a half century ago and the famous Boston molasses flood of the early 20th century was catastrophic.

In the 19th century people died from horse and wagon accidents, today its motorcars. Always risk, just the type that changes.

Derailments scare the shit out of me, I live down here near all the chemical plants and have an active rail line about 3/4 of a mile from the house with only empty sugar cane field between us. Add to that my "town" and the next few over are all built on Mississippi river sediment meaning the roads only go north and south so depending on the wind we can't get away.

Back