What's new
What's new

The Goldenfab Story

Nothing new with business. I'm living in my shop now but have yet to move any of my machinery into it. I've been at it building the new house full time and I'm on a schedule to get it done by the deadline for my construction loan so I won't be making any chips until it is done. I did finally get around to editing a full time lapse of the shop build. Almost a year condensed into 60 seconds:

Nice! I do want to do that! (Build a big shop with smaller living space on/in or under it)
Enjoy and thx for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Powdered Metalurgy

Hey... Great to see continued progress on the shop and house... As well as on the kids.

I really enjoyed your You Tube episodes 6 and 7 on powdered metalurgy.
You clearly had access to information on tool design that let you estimate
target part weight, powder volume before compression, compression force, etc.

Could you please share some of the sources. I'm trying to make small parts and
am having a devil of a time finding information on the web.

Thanks in advance.

DrDagor

Around late 2016 my wife and I start thinking about getting a bigger place. My father in-law comes up to visit a lot and we talked about him having an in-law sweet at the house. By 2017 we find a vacant lot we like, only issue will be water as nothing is advertised in the listing or the realtor so we assume we will need a well and wells in the area are hit and miss. One of the closest neighbors well puts out 1/4 gal/min. We make an offer on the land with a well contingency. I have a well driller scheduled to drill during escrow and the day before we drill I get all the disclosures from the title company and with it is a shared well agreement with a different neighbor. I end up having the well tested (12gal/min) and we decide not do drill. Turns out the realtor is a moron. We buy the lot in March 2017 with the plan that I do all the building , and by build I mean I do the building without a contractor. The business does not have a lot of traction yet so financially I'll probably save more money building than I would making money making parts, the deciding factor is however I always wanted to build a house.

View attachment 248390

The plan is to build the shop first, move into it, sell our current house, and then build the new house. I settle on a 34'x54'x16' +12' roof only lean to steel building with the last 14' of it being a two story living area. Here is a layout I did of the floor plan. I don't have the VMC yet but am planning to have room for one.

View attachment 248391
Zoning won't allow me to permit the shop without a permit for the house so I get to work designing the house which turns out to suck up way more time than I thought. I do all the usual stuff like contact the building department to see what their requirements. I buy the Code book they use and start reading and drafting. During this time I borrow a skid steer from my Dad and clear some of the brush to get a feel for the land.

View attachment 248392

A while later I borrowed his backhoe and dug the septic test holes, the city requires a septic permit before you apply for a building permit. The county does not like the dirt (rock) and says I'll need an 'alternate system'. I managed to design the septic system and get a permit but it was a major headache and took a lot of time due to it being non-standard.

View attachment 248393

After like a year of monkeying around figuring everything out with the plans I finally submit for the first permit spring of 2018 and by the summer and over $5,000 later in fees so someone else can tell me what I can do on my own property I get all my permits. The approved plans are here if anyone is interested in taking a peek.
http://goldenfab.com/temp_share/House/Shop_Plans/Goldenstein_Workshop_Guest_House_Plans_Rev-.pdf
http://goldenfab.com/temp_share/House/House_Plans/Goldenstein_Residence_Plans_Rev_1.pdf

The house has some "passive solar" design features like sizing the roof overhangs to get sunlight in the winter and shade in the summer.

Hey... Great to see continued progress on the shop and house... As well as on the kids.

I really enjoyed your You Tube episodes 6 and 7 on powdered metalurgy.
You clearly had access to information on tool design that let you estimate
target part weight, powder volume before compression, compression force, etc.

Could you please share some of the sources. I'm trying to make small parts and
am having a devil of a time finding information on the web.

Thanks in advance.

DrDagor

Attached are two pictures of my notes. Most of the parameters for my starting point came from searching patents. I don't have much else to share. I remember it being hard to find information on. I left off with my last youtube video on the subject you had seen Shop Talk: Episode 7 - Powdered Metal Parts 2nd Attempt - YouTube. If you have anything to share of your powdered metal work I would love to see.

powdered_meal_notes_1.jpg
powdered_meal_notes_2.jpg

I'm still on hiatus with my business. I moved into my shop last fall and partly due to people getting silly over covid I wasn't able to get my old house sold until this summer at which was a big relief to have one less payment and get some equity out f the place. My construction loan works on reimbursement after the work is done which may be fine for contractors who get paid when they are done but its silly for me because I'm getting the loan because I don't have the money. I was up over 80k on credit cards at one point which was stressful. It took some juggling but I was able to pay off the balance every statement. I had to move my machinery out of my old garage into the new shop this summer but nothing is setup because I'm still full time building the new house. The original plan was to have finished by March of 2020 and I'm still at it..... 6-7 days a week sun up to sun down. I had to get a construction loan extension which is about to run out again and a few days ago I had to get an extension on my building permit for an additional 6 months. So is life, over budget and past due....

Here is a spoiler on the house progress. I have nearly a TB of video and pics to sort through, I plan on doing a video build series on youtube but I don't have time for that right now.

I get another big job for me I was really proud of but unfortunately I cant show much about since I signed an NDA. It was right at the edge of my capability using my Harry Home Shop CNC conversion mill. For the record I bought real ball screws for it that costs more than the mill. Anyways the stock used for the part was something like 2"x5"x36" and was all 3D machining with a final part weight of about 4lb. Lots of thin walls and somewhere over 100 1/16" holes. Also the part was longer than the travel of my mill so it took additional multiple setups across 3D surfaces that needed to blend. Tolerances were not a factor but looks were. I bought two pieces of stock knowing I would screw up the first try but somehow I still have the second piece of stock in the shop still and the customer is happy with what he got.

I got the green light to share pics from this a while back and the final product I did the prototype for is for sale https://www.batzoom.com/

Some pics from when I machined the first prototype. The x travel on my mill is only 24" or so and I had to do each side in two opps. I got everything blended together almost seamless. Here are some pics.

batzoom_07.jpgbatzoom_14.jpg
batzoom_08.jpg
batzoom_01.jpg

Not much new with the shop. I finally "finished the house" and we moved in just before thanksgiving. It's signed off on as far as the bank and town is concerned but I still have some things left like finishing out closets, backslashes in the bathrooms and kitchen etc... enough to keep be busy for a while. Here are some pics of the house build over the last few years.

IMG_20200609_140405830_HDR.jpgIMG_20210530_123130927.jpg

IMG_20210802_182424490.jpgIMG_20210805_091353898.jpg

IMG_20210805_091353898.jpgIMG_20210916_152029843.jpg

Not much new with the shop. I finally "finished the house" and we moved in just before thanksgiving. It's signed off on as far as the bank and town is concerned but I still have some things left like finishing out closets, backslashes in the bathrooms and kitchen etc... enough to keep be busy for a while. Here are some pics of the house build over the last few years.

View attachment 382921View attachment 382922

View attachment 382923View attachment 382924

View attachment 382925View attachment 382926

Good to see an update. Also saw your Youtube vids, will check them out. (YT doesn't send out email notifications anymore) Speaking of engines, check out these guys.....they get into some interesting projects.

I did everything on the house but the slab in the garage, the insulation, and the drywall. Drywall being the thing I did not have time for and really didn't want to mess with. The licensed contractor I hired screwed it up. After a lot of back and forth and a lot of drama I filed a formal complaint with the register of contractors but could not afford to stall the project to I fixed half the house myself before they came out for inspection. The remaining half the house they inspected they agreed it needed to be fixed and the bond paid out to have it fixed. Was a real headache and a big setback but I got it done.

They got mud all over my wood I had to clean !#@!$%*

IMG_20210930_095555871.jpgIMG_20210918_105956781.jpg

IMG_20210918_105731390.jpgIMG_20210918_110015027.jpg

Finished the ceiling at last!
IMG_20221124_173919851.jpg

Some more finish work..

IMG_20220820_095708644.jpgIMG_20211216_154317391.jpg
IMG_20220408_101259170.jpg

Good to see an update. Also saw your Youtube vids, will check them out. (YT doesn't send out email notifications anymore) Speaking of engines, check out these guys.....they get into some interesting projects.
(y) added to my watch list.

Ok enough with the house and back to the shop.

I finally got the knee mill wired in and the lathe going again. I've done some more prototype backlit aircraft instrument panels, NDA so can't share pics.. They are going to get them made in China last I heard, no complaints but never offered an opportunity to quote a production run, not that I have time.

I have also done some other miscellaneous small parts but also NDA and not that interesting so no pics. Mostly have been turning down what little work finds me because I'm still working on the house.

My shop is a mess..
IMG_20221125_141239033.jpg
You probably can't tell but I'm actually making progress getting household stuff out of it. Its overwhelming at times but I'm determined to make it a proper machine shop. I'm tired of stuff being a mess and disorderly. I'm determined to have a pristine organized place to make precision parts!

Good news is I have two VMCs coming. The first is a Dyna Metronics DM4500, its a 2016 size 7.5hp mill. I only cost me the price to get it out of the last guys shop. It supposedly has a drive error and other than that is supposed to run. We'll see, it may be better off being scrapped...

The second is a Fadal 4020. Found the machine locally at a mold shop and checked out under power they said it was still holding tenths doing fixtures and mold work but was replaced by a new Okuma Genos.

I have a bit more to clean out in the shop to make room for them and I'm waiting for the riggers to get them delivered. Right now things aren't looking good with all the rain and coming snow for my dirt/gravel driveway.

Next purchases will be a phase converter, toolholders and more/better inspection equipment.

I picked up a 25hp rotary phase converter this morning.
IMG_20230107_114229737.jpg

I've been cleaning up and organizing the shop this week.IMG_20230105_201153015.jpg IMG_20230105_201225357.jpg

I'm planning on putting the Fadal where the wood shelf is and getting rid of the wood shelf. The DM4500 will go to the left of the Fadal next to the small manual lathe (the lathe is behind the wood tool box by the knee mill).

I'm keeping an eye out for some pallet racks and maybe some more steel shelves and a steel chemical storage cabinet. I don't want any wood in the shop if possible and I hate those plastic shelves I have.

I have a space in mind for a turning center (where the weight bench is or just a little further closer to the end wall opposite from the Fadal but that's just an idea. I need to walk before I can run and two VMCs, and CNC knee mill and crappy manual lathe I hope is a good start for a one man shop. Not sure what the workflow will be or what work I'll be getting most so I'm flexible. A vertical band-saw would be nice to have and a horizontal is probably going to be needed. If I start doing real work I don't think my wood miter saw and abrasive chop saw are going to cut it.

Back to waiting for the purple forklift to show up with my machines :toetap:

I picked up some used CAT-40 tooling today. A machinery dealer in Phoenix had a bunch they were getting rid of. I usually avoid dealers in general for used stuff but $20 each seemed worth it. We'll see... I picked out a fair amount of Kennamtal ER32 collet holders and Kennametal and Parlec side lock end mill holders. Most of them say made in India so nothing great I guess but hopefully should get me started. Got a few Valenite milling chucks, some Haimer shrink fit holders, hopefully they have some life left. A Lyndex ER16 collet holder only to find out when I got home its split out from over tightening and a what looks like never used Lyndex shell mill holder. Are those HAASS pull studs? Would they be worth anything to anyone being used? Should I bother getting decent pull studs (Maritool?) for used holders above low tie stuff like Shars?

IMG_20230124_181937336.jpg

What brand is this?
IMG_20230124_182336762.jpg

Also picked up some Kurt D40 vices for $50 each.
IMG_20230124_182014211.jpg

Hoping to get the mills delivered this week *taps foot*.

Dang that's an amazing deal on the Kurt vises! If you want to double your money on one let me know :) I also have a box of pull studs out of a shop in Houston. Let me know the thread and stud dimensions you need and I'll see if these will fit. I'd be happy to get them out of my garage!

Dang that's an amazing deal on the Kurt vises! If you want to double your money on one let me know :) I also have a box of pull studs out of a shop in Houston. Let me know the thread and stud dimensions you need and I'll see if these will fit. I'd be happy to get them out of my garage!
I plan on putting those vises to good use so I'll hang on to them. I am interested in pull studs for the Fadal and the Kitamura Mycenter 3X. I don't know the specifics on the studs yet but they are both cat40. I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm in the market for a face mill, cat40 toolholder vise, cat40 ER16 collet holders, ER32 and ER16 collets, a 3D taster, inspection instruments, good deals on carbide, and other misc stuff a guy is going to need starting out. Feel free to PM me if someone has something they are selling.

Last edited:
Rant begin.

I've been trying to get the DM4500 moved here since August, granted I was not in a hurry and I was willing to wait to share a load to save costs. I then bought the Fadal before Christmas and have been waiting for it to get moved since then, again I wasn't in a super big hurry if it worked out to share a load. Two weeks ago I see the Kitamura for sale it made sense at the time to pull the trigger on it and get everything rigged at the same time. At this point I'm just ready to get the machines home.

I keep being told by the rigging company they are going to see about getting to me on such and such date and get me an estimate and nothing ever materializes for whatever reason. From the riggers perspective my place is a bit of a PITA because I'm on a dirt road and I don't have a concrete unloading area, and they are trying to juggle multiple jobs in the area. But I don't feel like that's my problem. Give me an estimate for some different scenarios or tell me you don't want the job.

Next week looks like rain/snow again and the following week too, plus I'm tied up the following week. This I gave plenty of notice of. Finally mid week they suggested not sharing a load because it would be too much OT for the driver has DOT regs to follow and it would be cutting it too close. It would only be saving me like $400 anyway. In hindsight I would have ate the $400 in a heartbeat to avoid this soup sandwich.

So finally yesterday they call me and say they can fit me in this Friday but still no estimate but will get it to me tomorrow. After no news I call them at 3pm today to be put on hold. After waiting 7 minutes I get fed up and hang up expecting they would call me back. 15 minutes later I call them and they said they could still do tomorrow but will take a few to get me an estimate. Finally at 4:30pm I get an estimate to which I replied I'm going to have to chew on it as its more than another estimate I even thought was a bit high to which they responded that they would cancel the job for tomorrow.

I'm seriously pissed off at this point. Seems like really piss poor business practice to me. I'm sure they have their side of the story but that's mine. I talked with them some on the phone and they explain to me they are figuring 11-1/2 hours with two trucks three guys yada yada yada and its a PITA job and I keep changing plans (3 times in 6 months mind you). So if you figure this job is 11-1/2 hours why the hell were you telling me you were going to double me up with another job in the area which is another 30 minutes away each way! WHAT. THE. FFFFF

Anyways, they are supposed to be coming tomorrow. Both the sellers really want these machines gone and if its not tomorrow it isn't going to happen for another three weeks. This situation has really rubbed me the wrong way and I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

I think I have the DM4500 sold. Just waiting for the funds to clear. So my first VMC will have never made it home.

They probably feel like you aren't serious. I think trying to get them to quote something with so many unknowns is also troublesome for the rigger. Being new the game you don't have a trusted rigger or relationship where you can feel quasi comfortable just asking them to make it happen and know that you'll get treated okay.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you today.

They probably feel like you aren't serious. I think trying to get them to quote something with so many unknowns is also troublesome for the rigger. Being new the game you don't have a trusted rigger or relationship where you can feel quasi comfortable just asking them to make it happen and know that you'll get treated okay.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you today.
Unknowns, yes. troublesome, yes - royal PITA maybe even. No relationship, yes.

Did they think I was not serious? Absolutely positively not. I've been calling them twice a week for the last month asking for a time and a price. I used them to get another machine which is now sold and the only reason it sat in their warehouse for like 4 months is because they have not been able to schedule getting it up here, granted I told them I was not in a hurry if they could fit me on with another job in the area so I don't hold anything against them for that.

Being new the game you don't have a trusted rigger or relationship where you can feel quasi comfortable just asking them to make it happen and know that you'll get treated okay.
Yes.

I have never had a rigger quote anything (non-auction) without coming out and looking at the job and giving me a number. And I totally understand that.

I don't understand that huge length of time. It sure sounds like a shitshow of a company. I have never had a rigger put me on hold or tell me it's months out. No way they are that busy.

Even with decent riggers in my area I just don't like paying that much for an easy job. I have a ten grand or so in skates, jacks, wedges, slings, forklifts and pay a friend with a crane very well when he does lifts for me. I've easily saved $100k in rigging and I've made probably $50k doing rigging for others.

I like to joke that I do my own rigging to save the cost of a gym membership, but it really does pencil out. With some common sense and no fear of breaking a sweat rigging is real easy. You save thousands of dollars in a single day. You get it done on your schedule, not theirs. Most riggers are not the brightest bulbs out there. There's a reason they send 5 guys to do an easy few hours work for 1.5 guys. I say 1.5 because all you need is an extra pair of eyes. When they send 5 guys they stand around and bicker about how to do the lift and move like snails.

Landoll is $800 a day. With some basic gear, one helper and a Landoll I can move just about anything under 30 tons.

Last edited:

Back