What's new
What's new

1978 I/M 10EE with apron feed motor on Portland CL

Interesting machine. A lot of engineering went into it, towards the end of most 10EE production. I went through the photos about 5 times before it all made sense. I agree with bob, the issues with the machine need to be sorted to command that kind of price. And they are not insurmountable. A good shop should be able to get a modular running without a problem.

I did not realize that the way at least this IM gearbox works, if you change from I to M the leadscrew reverses! So if you are cutting inch threads, but need to cut some metric threads, you need to reverse the leadscrew. I know that would catch me.

Somebody had to be the hero...

"Rare Monarch 10EE Inch Metric Lathe. 4,000 RPM. Tube drive will need to be replaced to a new drive system. This model is rare because it is a inch metric model, has 5 presets for speed and feeds, and uses an electric motor for driving the apron not gears and an electric lube pump the lubes the apron and a taper attachment. Lathe ways are like new and factory paint. $19995"

IM_Monarch 10EE_1.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_2.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_3.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_4.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_5.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_6.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_7.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_8.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_9.jpgIM_Monarch 10EE_10.jpg

10EE mfg. lathes came with separately motorized feeds back in the 50’s, but the feed was powered by a motor to the left of the carriage, in the area where the threading gearbox would be on a toolroom 10EE. I think this one had a motor to the right, but unfortunately there is no photo that shows the complete machine Including the tailstock end.

What is the knob just visible in some of the photos? It is at the bottom left of the apron. It almost looks like it is in the chip pan. It appears to be some small graduated dial.

What is the knob just visible in some of the photos? It is at the bottom left of the apron. It almost looks like it is in the chip pan. It appears to be some small graduated dial.
I think it's the adjustable carriage stop. (On lathes with ELSR . ) There is another one on the right end of the apron, on the feed rod. Monarch replaced the square headed bolt with the same shaped levers that's are used to lock the dials on the compound and cross feed.
Great up grade.

Mr CNC my mistake, I was looking at a different knob.
I now see the one your lalking about.
A few more pictures would be great.
Hal

Last edited:
Are you asking about the knob that's directly below the cross-feed dial?
im_monarch-10ee_4-jpg.387037

If so, that's the feed-direction plunger; it's in a completely different location than on a normal square-dial apron. This apron is a very different beast.

Cal
In the photos, (#1&3) that shows the feeds and threads plates, there is a numbered dial sticking out from the left hand side of the apron. It's located about where the oil fill spout is located.
CNC has a sharp set of eyes.

Hal

Last edited:
Cal
In the photos, (#1&3) that shows the feeds and threads plates, there is a numbered dial sticking out from the left hand side of the apron. It's located about where the oil fill spout is located.
CNC has a sharp set of eyes.

Hal
20K with a dead drive? What are all those wires hanging out the right side of the carriage? That's a bit of change for a project.

The knob on the right edge of this photo?
im_monarch-10ee_3-jpg.387036

I think that's something laying in the chip pan. There's nothing like that on the left end of the apron.

I bet Russ knows more.

There's another one of these on facebook. (I don't--and will never--use facebook.) This time for the low-low price of $39,999.00. Maybe some of you facebook-sufferers can see if there are any better photos:

Both of them appear to currently live near each other. One in Vancouver, WA, the other across the Columbia River in Portland, OR. Both have the number "0017-3" in black stencil lettering on the RH side on the front of the cover to the drive electronics. Both from same facility perhaps?

Last edited:

Back