What's new
What's new

What brand is this Jump Shear?

lvbill

Plastic
Anyone recognize what brand/make this Jump Shear is? I've looked over tons of pics but haven't seen one exactly like this.
Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 55
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    186 KB · Views: 56
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 54
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 54
"Jump" shear?

Do you jump on the bar to operate it?

It looks like a job for the fattest man in the shop.
They're also called Foot Shears. If you're cutting near the shear's capacity, yes you jump on the bar.
You've never heard of these?

The rotary lock on the table, for the stock, looks like DiAcro stuff, but I am only familiar with their small bench top units.

Step Shear, Stomp Shear, Jump Shear, depends on how hard you are pushing their limits, eh? And whether you are a 87 pound kid, or a 200+ pound dude!

It looks like the whole machine is fabricated from steel, including the bed. That's a bit unusual I think?

I have used a 4ft foot-operated guillotine (Edwards) quite a bit over the years. Not only do you jump on it, it pays to have two of you jumping at the same time when you are shearing full width 16G or 18G steel. You don't want your cut to stop half way through...maybe it needed sharpening too.

They usually have outriggers extending the footprint back past the stomp bar. Keeps it upright when the 2 big guys jump on it.

It looks like the return springs are enclosed in vertical steel tubes, quite neat and maybe distinctive?

Niagara had their springs in a similar location but the only photos I have are of older cast iron models with exposed springs.

Last edited:

Back