What's new
What's new

OT- Has anyone experienced contact dermatitis on eyelids? How did it go?

Trboatworks

Diamond
Something has gotten me on one eye.
I don’t know if it is the general sludge of solvents and oils in the shop or what.
I do remember getting a decent splash at the parts washer.
In any case this is trying to drive me nuts- burning/itching of eyelid and relentless.

Dr google suggests dermatitis on eyelids is from getting something rubbed on them be it an allergic of other reactions.

Anyone else have this flare up?
Treatment/results?

Thanks

Last edited:
Of course not.

I have to go with what works- bitch and moan until I get concerned enough to consult dr Google and then bitch and moan some more.
Usually about this time it either goes away or I end up at a docs office.

The stroke was hilarious- five days and six strokes I finally got to the er.
They were NOT amused I can tell you.

Let’s just say I am reluctant to haul a truck or myself into a shop for repairs…

It goes both ways eh.
If you haul into a doctor every time some little annoyance shows up you get labeled as a hypochondriac.
Lots of things in life just need patience and a support network as we cry about our misfortune.
Where’s the love eh….

Sorry to hear that buddy.
I can hear them all saying "That *(*!* @Trboatworks, he a *(#&(*&#@! #@!)(*#@."

Get this:
Mother went to the Neurologist on a Friday. She fell over at home that evening,
Neighbor discovered her and called an ambulance, mom was talking, recovered at the hospital.
They took her off blood thinners (!), and she had a Massive Stroke Saturday AM.

Would voodoo from a witch doctor really have been worse? No, the witch doctor wouldn't have been that stupid.

Glad it sounds like you're recovered, you make just as much sense as anybody.

Strokes are a bear- they laid a telephone book sized pamphlet on my lap when they had me strapped down in the hospital called “You and Your Stroke” which lays out just what you have to look forward to.
Scared the living piss out of me.
So much that I was careful to the point of religion to take my meds.
The meds which then threw a cerebral hemorrhage on me and caused my liver to try to fail and a run in with an ICU.

My relationship with docs is complicated…
I am usually drifting somewhere between wanting to jump right in for top line care and wanting the bastards to stay the hell away from me.

I am very sorry to hear about your mom.

Last edited:
ive had metal fly into my eye, anything in your eye will make it irritated to itch and burn.
mine was rust chunks where one went in and had to see a hospital and get them to get the tiny drill and drill it out. left a temp rust ring where it was, and is tough to see unless in the right light.

Man who doctors self has fool for patient.

My threshold for professional attention is much lower for my eyes than my fingers and hands.

Something has gotten me on one eye.
I don’t know if it is the general sludge of solvents and oils in the shop or what.
I do remember getting a decent splash at the parts washer.
In any case this is trying to drive me nuts- burning/itching of eyelid and relentless.

Dr google suggests dermatitis on eyelids is from getting something rubbed on them be it an allergic of other reactions.

Anyone else have this flare up?
Treatment/results?

As others have said, get thee to a real doctor. But patient discomfort is not an emergency, so don't use the ER, as the triage nurse will take one look, laugh, and just park you in a remote corner somewhere.

But I would add one thing: The eyelids are not special as to what will cause dermatitis, so you can try various suspects elsewhere on your body, especially in a skin fold of some kind, or applied as a medicated compress, and maybe figure out what it is, or at least what it is not. Because the first step with contact dermatitis is to prevent contact with whatever causes it.

Old solvents can turn strange, if they have lots of metal ions in them. I've had this happen with mineral spirits in a covered pyrex dish used to soak and wash small parts. You could tell by the smell alone.

It is friday. Do not delay. See an Opthalmologist today. Eye infections are no joke. They can progress up through channels in the eyelid, back behind the eyeball and into the brain.

Earlier last year I had a tender spot on my upper lid, by the lashes. It was a few days after doing a few hours of leaf blowing in 40 knot winds (that was tuesday), with lots of dust and deer poop blowing in my eyes. I saw my internist on friday. He's a lousy doctor and really doesn't know anything about anything. He didn't even have tools to look at it (most of us have better close inspection tools than he does). The next day, Saturday, I was reminded of that and also read that what he prescribed didn't fit typical treatment. I called around and found a lenscrafters that had an Opthalmologist - not optometrist (they just fit classes) - working on saturday. I paid around $50-60 for a walk in appointment.

He diagnosed it, and asked questions about symptoms. He was verifying whether it was progressing to bad places, and whether he needed to immediately send me to the ER.

What I had was a Chalazion and mild infection. He also applied pressure to the lid to encourage it to drain. The steroidal anti-biotic he prescribed cleared up the infection. It took months for the duct to start to drain normally and the swelling to finally go down. I can still see the spot where it was. Sometimes/often these things recur.

He also suggested I get some eye wipes to clean the eye. OCuSoft lid scrub originals are what I have used.

Btw, when doing warm cloth compresses, with a clean cloth, it is better to microwave the cloth than to try and heat it with warm water. I had to do that, at least morning and night, for many weeks. And still do whenever it feels necessary, because I really wanted it to not recur. Also, I did not want to have surgery to cut it out from the inside of my eyelid. Someone I know had that.

Btw, the doctor did not think it was due to the dust. He said in his experienence what I had is usually caused by stress. I was very skeptical but surprised, because I had been under some extreme stress. Doing searches, I found some other references to stress.

Hope your case is simple and resolves quickly.

But I would add one thing: The eyelids are not special as to what will cause dermatitis,
Old solvents can turn strange, if they have lots of metal ions in them. I've had this happen with mineral spirits in a covered pyrex dish used to soak and wash small parts. You could tell by the smell alone.

Well there is that old bit that chemists wash their hands BEFORE taking a piss.
Well as it turns out this little problem showed up under my watch band and elsewhere so…
I am thinking something in the shop threw an allergic reaction.
This corresponds with tearing down the damn saw and bathing in old coolant chips and solvent for a week.
I am a bit suspicious of a Los Alamos Nat Laboratory tag on the saw.
So if parts start to fall off I will know THAT was it lol.

Thanks all

Stainless watchband? Likely that is a nickel metal allergy. I do that too. Please get your eyes checked, there's all KINDS of crap in used coolant.

Well there is that old bit that chemists wash their hands BEFORE taking a piss.
Well as it turns out this little problem showed up under my watch band and elsewhere so…
I am thinking something in the shop threw an allergic reaction.
This corresponds with tearing down the damn saw and bathing in old coolant chips and solvent for a week.
As Jim Rozen commented, it could well be a nickel allergy. Or just that the band held some fluid in long contact with your skin. Or a bit of both.

But as for the eyelid, it's time for a doctor.

I am a bit suspicious of a Los Alamos Nat Laboratory tag on the saw.
So if parts start to fall off I will know THAT was it lol.

I's only a problem if the saw glows in the dark.

More seriously, people working with ionizing radiation (RF radiation is not ionizing) are allowed to get up to 5 RAD per year. Which is a lot.

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/glossary/rad-radiation-absorbed-dose.html

https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/around-us/doses-daily-lives.html

I guess I was looking for the machinists quick fix here:

“Yep, happens to me all the time.”
“Mix a bit of diesel fuel with lemon juice and dab it right on.”
“You be right as rain pretty damn quick.”

Back