What's new
What's new

NE Ohio: The easiest $30-$35 / hour you will ever make. (Not spam)

Freedommachine

Stainless
It's not a meaningless title, I am actually serious. I don't mean "up to" $30-$35 an hour either. I am 98.3% sure all positions start at $30+.

Machinists, welders, crane operators, dimensional and NDE inspectors, industrial maintenance (electrical or mechanical), Welder helpers, tool grinders, or something that resembles one of those titles;

If you live within a 45 mile radius of Akron and you would consider a new job, send me a PM; all of our communications will remain private.

I am a machinist, not a recruiter. However, the company has just instituted a referral bonus program so I figured I would give this a try. I will give you my honest perspective as a machinist from the shop floor - no recruiter flare or HR b.s.

•Overtime is almost always available and NEVER mandatory. Saturday's are 1.5x pay and Sunday's are 2x pay regardless if you have 40 hours in or not.

• Insurance is great. A family policy is $65 a week and an individual is like $12 Iirc.

•One week off paid for 4th of July and another during Christmas - on top of vacation.

• Our product is isolated fairly well from the rest of the economy. Lay-offs are not really a concern here.

Now to describe "easy money" as a machinist. (This is somewhat similar to all other positions as well.)

First I will describe what machinists here are generally NOT required to do:
• build tooling assemblies
• write programs
• deburr parts
• run the crane (required for some positions not most)
• run multiple machines simultaneously (never ever)
• break a sweat (not kidding)
• basically anything outside the scope of your job description of setting up and running your machine.

If you are waiting on an inspector, engineer, deburr guy, program, tooling, ect... Often times you just hang out at your machine. Tidy up a bit, read a book, or whatever you want to do within reason - as long as you are there in case someone shows up.

Sometimes a supervisor will ask if you can help someone else with a set up or help the crane operator with rigging if you're going to be waiting for more than a few hours.

What machinists are required to do:
• Do not under any circumstances cause damage or allow damage to the components. They are very very expensive and replacements are not an option. If it's on your machine, you're the guy running the show, do not screw up!

Double check tooling and program against available documents to ensure they are correct.

Coordinate part set up with the crane operator and your helpers. If you run something small like a mill/turn you can just set it up yourself.

Methodically work your way though the machining process to ensure you make a good part. Double and triple check things to be sure before you make a cut. If something is unclear, stop the job and ask for clarification. We have engineering support on all shifts. We give them the problem and we recommend solutions but ultimately they get paid to do the thinking.

Machine run times are often very long. You could spend hours in the same cut and have the same part on your machine for weeks. Your duty is to sit there and watch it cut.

You can read, listen to the ball game, do a crossword puzzle, argue with grumpy old guys on PM... Whatever passes the time as long as it doesn't take your attention off of the task at hand. You'll want to make sure chips are not becoming an issue, inserts are cutting well and everything is generally going to plan. You know, basic high quality machine operator type stuff.

Make sure your work area is clean and presentable, you've checked out the next up coming programs to be sure there are no obvious mistakes, ect. Things like that should all be handled before sitting and watching a cut.
We get treated very well here and the supervisors are all good guys to work with however; we are here to do a job so the company's best interest always comes first.

The company is not shy about PPE. We have every flavor of safety gear you could ever want and free boot vouchers as well. Welders all get top of the line 3M hoods. We have an entire team of safety personnel who would love to cover us all in pads, helmets and bubble wrap if they could get away with it lol.

As far as machining goes; it is a great place for guys who have "crested the hill" and now just want to work toward retirement without beating themselves up anymore or getting hounded about production numbers.

It's also a great place for anyone who loves overtime $$$ regardless of job position.

So... If you or someone you know is interested in easy work making good money, let me know.

You get honest, inside answers to any (non product related) questions you may have, and use of my name as an employee referral on your application. In return the company hooks me up with a bonus if you get hired and we all win.

not asking for myself, but you describe machinists job scope and responsibilities throughly, most of the other job titles are pretty clear as to what is required, but "welders" is extremely vague. I'm sure some would like a bit more info on that. cheers and good luck.

not asking for myself, but you describe machinists job scope and responsibilities throughly, most of the other job titles are pretty clear as to what is required, but "welders" is extremely vague. I'm sure some would like a bit more info on that. cheers and good luck.

Thanks, that is a fair point. The short answer; it's because I am not a welder. I have general knowledge about our welding operations and processes but not enough to give precise detail. The only job details I know less about than welding would be MT/PT and RT inspection.

However I can say that in this shop, welding is just as critical if not more so than machining. We have some of the most advanced and technical welding processes in industry today (at least that is what the weld engineers tell me.)

We have classifications for hand welders, robotic weld cell operators, sub arc and more - I am a little out of my element here and I don't know what I can say out loud about all the different processes.

If anyone is interested in a welding position, reach out to me and I will have no problem getting answers to all of your welding specific questions.

so if I need my hand welded back together I know where to go, lol! just kidding,
ask them what kind of welders they are looking for. really would help narrow it down. "anyone interested in a welding position" is quite a wide range.
(if you want to be successful its key to get a bit more information on the table here, I think)

so if I need my hand welded back together I know where to go, lol! just kidding,

Lol, they used to have people for that back in the day. Now most of it gets sub'd out to the local hospital.

I will get more info about welding tomorrow and see if I can put something together that sounds coherent.

I've seen official job postings with less information.... far less :)

Right? Usually it's all; "Are you ready to begin the career of a lifetime? Come join our diverse team of talented individuals in a challenging yet rewarding work environment!"

Sort of like when someone has a thing for sale but refuses to list an asking price.

I am a little surprised I haven't gotten any inquiries at all. We've got weekend shifts open as well. Work 36 hours, get paid for 40. I've thought about switching to weekends myself. It would certainly make things easier with my business.

Anyway, thanks for the thread bump! 👍

What part of the country is this in? Your profile doesn't state your location, and your post doesn't say either. Ideally, what city, although if that might give away your employer, maybe something like "northeast Ohio"?

What part of the country is this in? Your profile doesn't state your location, and your post doesn't say either. Ideally, what city, although if that might give away your employer, maybe something like "northeast Ohio"?

Yes sir, that information can be found in the third paragraph of my original post.

"If you live within a 45 mile radius of Akron and you would consider a new job, send me a PM; all of our communications will remain private."

Last edited:
Right? Usually it's all; "Are you ready to begin the career of a lifetime? Come join our diverse team of talented individuals in a challenging yet rewarding work environment!"

Sort of like when someone has a thing for sale but refuses to list an asking price.

I am a little surprised I haven't gotten any inquiries at all. We've got weekend shifts open as well. Work 36 hours, get paid for 40. I've thought about switching to weekends myself. It would certainly make things easier with my business.

Anyway, thanks for the thread bump! 👍
Hello,
I’m interested. Please advise.
PM me or. Respond to this message

It's not a meaningless title, I am actually serious. I don't mean "up to" $30-$35 an hour either. I am 98.3% sure all positions start at $30+.

Machinists, welders, crane operators, dimensional and NDE inspectors, industrial maintenance (electrical or mechanical), Welder helpers, tool grinders, or something that resembles one of those titles;

If you live within a 45 mile radius of Akron and you would consider a new job, send me a PM; all of our communications will remain private.

I am a machinist, not a recruiter. However, the company has just instituted a referral bonus program so I figured I would give this a try. I will give you my honest perspective as a machinist from the shop floor - no recruiter flare or HR b.s.

•Overtime is almost always available and NEVER mandatory. Saturday's are 1.5x pay and Sunday's are 2x pay regardless if you have 40 hours in or not.

• Insurance is great. A family policy is $65 a week and an individual is like $12 Iirc.

•One week off paid for 4th of July and another during Christmas - on top of vacation.

• Our product is isolated fairly well from the rest of the economy. Lay-offs are not really a concern here.

Now to describe "easy money" as a machinist. (This is somewhat similar to all other positions as well.)

First I will describe what machinists here are generally NOT required to do:
• build tooling assemblies
• write programs
• deburr parts
• run the crane (required for some positions not most)
• run multiple machines simultaneously (never ever)
• break a sweat (not kidding)
• basically anything outside the scope of your job description of setting up and running your machine.

If you are waiting on an inspector, engineer, deburr guy, program, tooling, ect... Often times you just hang out at your machine. Tidy up a bit, read a book, or whatever you want to do within reason - as long as you are there in case someone shows up.

Sometimes a supervisor will ask if you can help someone else with a set up or help the crane operator with rigging if you're going to be waiting for more than a few hours.

What machinists are required to do:
• Do not under any circumstances cause damage or allow damage to the components. They are very very expensive and replacements are not an option. If it's on your machine, you're the guy running the show, do not screw up!

Double check tooling and program against available documents to ensure they are correct.

Coordinate part set up with the crane operator and your helpers. If you run something small like a mill/turn you can just set it up yourself.

Methodically work your way though the machining process to ensure you make a good part. Double and triple check things to be sure before you make a cut. If something is unclear, stop the job and ask for clarification. We have engineering support on all shifts. We give them the problem and we recommend solutions but ultimately they get paid to do the thinking.

Machine run times are often very long. You could spend hours in the same cut and have the same part on your machine for weeks. Your duty is to sit there and watch it cut.

You can read, listen to the ball game, do a crossword puzzle, argue with grumpy old guys on PM... Whatever passes the time as long as it doesn't take your attention off of the task at hand. You'll want to make sure chips are not becoming an issue, inserts are cutting well and everything is generally going to plan. You know, basic high quality machine operator type stuff.

Make sure your work area is clean and presentable, you've checked out the next up coming programs to be sure there are no obvious mistakes, ect. Things like that should all be handled before sitting and watching a cut.
We get treated very well here and the supervisors are all good guys to work with however; we are here to do a job so the company's best interest always comes first.

The company is not shy about PPE. We have every flavor of safety gear you could ever want and free boot vouchers as well. Welders all get top of the line 3M hoods. We have an entire team of safety personnel who would love to cover us all in pads, helmets and bubble wrap if they could get away with it lol.

As far as machining goes; it is a great place for guys who have "crested the hill" and now just want to work toward retirement without beating themselves up anymore or getting hounded about production numbers.

It's also a great place for anyone who loves overtime $$$ regardless of job position.

So... If you or someone you know is interested in easy work making good money, let me know.

You get honest, inside answers to any (non product related) questions you may have, and use of my name as an employee referral on your application. In return the company hooks me up with a bonus if you get hired and we all win.
What’s the name of the company?

likely not this shop but this shop just down the pike will have some pretty good jobs.
Intel would be bringing the facility to Licking County, Ohio, officials have announced that the campus will be called “Ohio One.”

likely not this shop but this shop just down the pike will have some pretty good jobs.
Intel would be bringing the facility to Licking County, Ohio, officials have announced that the campus will be called “Ohio One.”

If it runs like Intel in Hillsboro Oregon, there will be very little internal manufacturing capabilities outside of direct wafer/semiconductor manufacturing. Here they subcontract virtually all of the mechanical process development to LAM engineering, who in turn subcontracts manufacturing to everybody else.

AFAIK there is just one tiny little machine shop for the ~20k employee campus up here. The machinists are subcontractors, and last I heard they were paid peanuts.

These massive chip companies have absolutely zero loyalty to their employees or community. They are very good at setting up factories in SE Asia, are extraordinarily cost conscious, and will only do business here when market forces dictate it. I understand why the government wants us to have a stronger domestic chipmaking capability, but it's truly aggravating that we gave enormous subsidies to some of the richest companies in the world. In turn, they will setup shop in geographic locations they don't actually want to be located, and then do everything possible to drive down costs in that market.

Last edited:

Back