What's new
What's new

Obsolete pins & bushings

scott-ak

Aluminum
I need to make some steering pins and bushings for an old obsolete Gradall 534B. Replacement parts are not available. This will be the last repair to the steering. Anything done will last longer than the rest of the machine.

The pins look to be standard sizes, 1" to 1.5" diameters. Figure I'll cut them from 4140 or 4130 bar stock (the owner wants cold rolled :( ...) They will only need some grease holes/groves and a couple need a grove at one end for the retention plates.

If the housings are damaged they plan to just weld in the bushings, there will be no line boring

What material would you use for the bushings?

I would use Thompson 60 case rod for the pins and most any steel, 1018 or such for the bushings.

If you can get it easily, I'd go cast iron for bushings. Different materials against each other tend to work better.

You're going to get a lot of more complex suggestions in about ten seconds but I take it you just want to get through this as quick and easy as possible ...

If you can get it easily, I'd go cast iron for bushings. Different materials against each other tend to work better.

You're going to get a lot of more complex suggestions in about ten seconds but I take it you just want to get through this as quick and easy as possible ...
Not to weld the bushes in EG - unless you know something I don't.

I will quote from the OP
''If the housings are damaged they plan to just weld in the bushings, there will be no line boring. ''

I could be wrong (I often am) but (short of OA bronze welding) I don't know of a simple easy ''in the field '' method of welding CI bushes in to steel parts .

Lo buck? I'd scour my obsolete material inventory (edited from junk pile) for an appropriately sized piece of cylinder shaft. I only save induction hardened chrome plated. Then I'd use whatever size piece of mild steel or heavy walled tubing was most convenient to make the bushings. I'd leave alloy bushings off the list anywhere welding is mentioned.

PVC

This sounds like one of those jobs the customer doesn't want to spend a lot of time or money or effort on...and no fancy materials. They just want it done fast, cheap, and to last forever. That's all.

I could be wrong (I often am) but (short of OA bronze welding) I don't know of a simple easy ''in the field '' method of welding CI bushes in to steel parts .

There's brazing rod for both MIG and TIG, besides gas. It may not work very well, I'm not even a beginner welder, much less an ace, but they do make it so someone must use it.

Maybe cast iron is not the best choice but should be easy and cheap, which is what he wants. I just hate the idea of steel on steel.

I would go for a much harder bushing say 1144 hardened by welding heat and a softer pin like anealed 1144 or 4140. Pins are much easier to replace than welded in bushings.

Did a repair for my neighbor several years back for his JD back hole. He bought the bushings, and I made the replacement pins for him. The bushings were some kind of steel and file harden, more than likely 8620 carburized or 4140 nitrided. Might get lucky and buy the bushings from a tractor place and make the pins for them. Another thought is to buy drill bushings....

Have you considered drilling and tapping the pin or bushing for a grease fitting? Not much extra work but will likely make the joint last forever with regular grease maintenance.

Have you considered drilling and tapping the pin or bushing for a grease fitting? Not much extra work but will likely make the joint last forever with regular grease maintenance.
Pins and bushings all have grease fittings.

Modern stuff has seals.

Even with grease there's often high forces involved and they need to be hard to last in dirt.

Pins and bushings all have grease fittings.

Modern stuff has seals.

Even with grease there's often high forces involved and they need to be hard to last in dirt.
This is not modern stuff. It is a home made job to be done on the cheap.

Back