What's new
What's new

Can the Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC kit able to do micro machining?

of course they are, because you never use them

Keyway depth, quick and dirty on thickness, quick and dirty on span measurement, rough check across straight-sided splines, and good for scratching my ass. Don't use the pointy parts for that tho.

IMG_20221018_173506.jpg

quick and dirty on thickness, good for relief groove diameter, end prongy stickout thing for face relief depth, etc

IMG_20221025_193908.jpg

so far, I've always been closer than forty thou.

Keyway depth, quick and dirty on thickness, quick and dirty on span measurement, rough check across straight-sided splines, and good for scratching my ass. Don't use the pointy parts for that tho.

View attachment 396978

quick and dirty on thickness, good for relief groove diameter, end prongy stickout thing for face relief depth, etc

View attachment 396979

so far, I've always been closer than forty thou.
see how easy it was to get you to post pictures and start to defend yourself because I accused you personally of incompetence instead of arguing the point?

and it seems you still haven't understood my problem with that picture, just to be clear - I'm not doubting one can make good and accurate measurements with vernier calipers, though I much prefer digital because of ease of reading

and the argument was never really about being able to measure +/- 40thou like you call a simple 1mm, I said - I can easily fake 0.5mm spacing "measurement" on vernier or digital "measuring" that fin spacing and you wouldn't be any wiser - because you can't see where the tips actually are on top being difficult to get into 1mm space with them, so what is the point of such picture?
0.5mm=20thou to make life simple for you

p.s. and measuring that relief diameter on your part with very tips of the caliper is much easier than trying to get reasonable reading in a 1mm wide space

whatever the pissing contest you guys are having - why the heck would one bother trying to tool up with a whole new machine+tooling+material+whoknowshowmanyscrewups just to save $50? I as much of a cheapskate as anyone on here, but that flat out doesn't make any sense to me. Even if it was feasible for a hobbiest to do, which is isn't.

whatever the pissing contest you guys are having - why the heck would one bother trying to tool up with a whole new machine+tooling+material+whoknowshowmanyscrewups just to save $50? I as much of a cheapskate as anyone on here, but that flat out doesn't make any sense to me. Even if it was feasible for a hobbiest to do, which is isn't.
Only if you thought you could make the $50 parts that likely cost $25 to make for $12 bucks.then you could make some money..but it is likely it is a $100k special machine doing the making, not a $4,000 bench machine...so it will likely take $300 worth of time to make the part you can sell for 50 bucks..

Last edited:
whatever the pissing contest you guys are having

The 'pissing contest' is whether you can measure fin spacing with calipers. Sorry, been doing that for fifty years now, it's beyond stupid to say "can't be done". This is supposed to be a machinist site.

Calipers are not micrometers but they are definitely more accurate than +/- .040"

why the heck would one bother trying to tool up with a whole new

Because he wants to. Beyond that is none of your business, if you aren't interested, then go to another thread.

In fact, from reading through this thread, I think I have a way he or anyone else can do this for a very reasonable cost. It was educational. Might even be useful some day.

Care to share with the class?

No, it's too obvious and I have to make a living :)

Bonus if it uses pm precision mini mill cnc kit.

Not precision matthews, but not too much more expensive. Not guaranteed at this point but pretty sure it will work. If you want to make heat sinks, call and we'll talk :D

However, as usual, op has disappeared leaving us here to argue amongst ourselves ...

btw, looking at the precision matthews ads ? They look to be very nicely finished. The guts don't look any better than standard but the paint and deburring is excellent. Seems like Mr Matthews has figured out his target audience very well.

No, it's too obvious and I have to make a living :)

Not precision matthews, but not too much more expensive. Not guaranteed at this point but pretty sure it will work. If you want to make heat sinks, call and we'll talk :D

Your communism sounds like capitalism. Sorry, no interest in producing heat sinks; I need to make 4 for something. I could buy them but I want to play with a concept on the mill.
I am interested out of general metal trickery.

I would look at embossing/coining using pm mill for dies. Such shallow relief I am pretty sure it would work if you taper walls and radius root.. also much easier to make dies.
Second would be pmc into mold made on mini mill.

The cnc masters equivalent has better electronics and motors big enough for steel work, not as well fitted but at least finished, not a kit where step one is install lead screws! Oh, you supply your own controller and limit switches ?

Your communism sounds like capitalism. Sorry, no interest in producing heat sinks; I need to make 4 for something. I could buy them but I want to play with a concept on the mill. I am interested out of general metal trickery.

Okay, since it's you ...

Firat off, I think the sinks he is modelling are crap. There's a ton of research into fins and heat transfer, mostly from the thirties and radial aircraft engines. One really important thing is the fillet at the root. These are square. Bad. Skived ones have no root fillet, bad.

Taper on the fins was desirable but not top-level necessary.

Closer spacing was helpful but requires that air be directed through the fins, not just past them. That's why the sheet metal baffles between the cylinders on a radial.

And last, something recent maybe ? Is that interrupted fins, like staggered, so the air has to flow in a drunken goose path at a slower speed, made heat transfer better.

So everything about the op's except for the profit margin can easily be improved.

If it wuz me, and only four special sinks I wanted to be highest performance ? You could investment cast them, edm them, mill them, forge them. Forging would be most fun. And silver is slightly better than copper so for four dinky ones, I'd use that. Forged silver heat sinks, now we're talkin dodge charger :D

And oh yeah, more important than all the rest, make sure to force the air through the heat sinks. Shielding is necessary. Seems like this project is mostly an advertising exercise.

About the communist thing, you guys musta had pickles for dinner or something. Communism is just a planned economy. If the village has 800 people and each of them eats two pounds of pizza a day, then you want to have 11,200 lbs of pizza in stock every week. So you line up the wheat, the tomatoes, the ovens, the delivery boys, and the beer. In capitalism you don't give a crap how many people there are or how much they eat or where it's going to come from, you just figure some greedy bastard will figure all that out for you if he thinks he can make a buck.

You can probably see the advantages and disadvantages of both pretty easy.

That's really all there is to it, the rest of this stuff is pure fruitcake paranoia.

these are for liquid, not air, but probably doesn't matter if +/-1mm accuracy when measuring 1mm fin spacing with calipers is good enough... :P

these are for liquid, not air,

Heat transfer works the same, with the additional case that if water flow is not sufficient or misdirected, you can get steam pockets that do that death-spiral thing : local overheat creates steam pocket, steam prevents water from entering, less water means more steam, more steam means more overheating, pretty soon you've melted the crown right out of the piston which leads to a total loss of compression, and you don't finish the race.

Heat transfer works the same, with the additional case that if water flow is not sufficient or misdirected, you can get steam pockets that do that death-spiral thing : local overheat creates steam pocket, steam prevents water from entering, less water means more steam, more steam means more overheating, pretty soon you've melted the crown right out of the piston which leads to a total loss of compression, and you don't finish the race.
Or your core turns into corium

The whole thing seems a bit gimmicky to me, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. If these were soo good and could be manufactured for $25 why are newest power hungry GPUs not using them? (they use sintered sponge like copper material).

Personally I'd be very interested in seeing some research that shows if there is any difference between these difficult to machine conventionally fins (100micron fins, 300 micron spacing) and let's say 500 micron fins with 1mm spacing. Yes, very thin fins have larger surface area, but at which point the bottle neck becomes conduction of heat up from the bottom into those fins?

Coriander ! I kinda like it, but know that a lot of people do not. Tongue burrito without cilantro just doesn't cut it :(

The local Mex market makes really good Burritos, but not a fan of Cilantro, so I tell them to leave it off. In fact I don't like Cilantro on anything.

Mind you if my cute Filipinl customer said I had to spread Cilantro over her cute bod, and lick it off, I probably would....It's all about customer satisfaction these days

Fwiw..
My customer used to make very small end mills, 0.04 mm, and we sent them off to the factory for a test run, and they worked just fine.

There is no particular problem milling very small features (my customer, lot of edm electrodes) and very long reach.
It´s just slow.

What, you think verniers aren't accurate enough to measure the space between some fins ? I gotta surprise for you then .... if you can read, they're just as good as digitals. Maybe better.

Every single post you jump into you make some stupid comment. Then hijack the thread with your lame pictures. Everyone but you understood his comment on the picture.

Making a claim of precision on the level they are, and the claims made on the website then using calipers, verniers at that would not be accepted in any precision job seeking an inspection report. Let me guess, you would measure parallelism doing this and just jumping from edge to edge! I don't care what China says, were not there.

You seem to only post to argue followed shortly by self boasting then promoting China.

And oh yeah, more important than all the rest, make sure to force the air through the heat sinks. Shielding is necessary. Seems like this project is mostly an advertising exercise.
The water enters at one end of the block and flow through all of the mini-channels before leaving at the other end. The main issues from a fluid dynamics/heat transfer standpoint are going to be ensuring that you get good lateral distribution of the cold water and ensuring that you get a good seal between the top of the cold plate and the bottom of whatever plate is bolted on top of it.

Back