What's new
What's new

Need help with VALENITE MCLNR-12-4 tool holder

Deude-Mann

Aluminum
I have a new (to me) Valenite MCLNR 12-4 turning tool I purchased from Ebay. I did not notice that the clamp and screw that retain the insert were not included with the part. So far my search has not turned up an answer so I'm hoping for some help. I could fab something, but if I can buy the parts easily I'll just do that. Anyone know what I need exactly and where to get it? TIA.

1653422318062.png

Last edited:
That's a DCLNR, not an MCLNR. Looks like the previous owner lost the top clamp and swapped the shim screw with the center screw from an MCLNR. Sort of works, but not really. The center screw is really for locating more than anything, and that's not a secure way to hold that insert.

An MCLNR clamp will not fit that holder (lacks the teardrop pocket), and a DCLNR top clamp won't work with the center screw in place, because it's designed to hook into the insert hole. So you'll also need to find a proper shim screw as well.

I think you're better off just buying a new MCLNR holder. Name brands are under $100 and nonamers are less than half that.

Last edited:
Clamp is a NC-2CL..Obsolete but: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265616647776
Clamp screw is a CSC-18 but any screw of the correct thread works.
Lock pin is a H-508-1C.
This is the older MCLNR before Valenite went to standard CL style clamp and N/L pin.
If the lock pin in good shape it should clamp the insert and the holder can be run without the top clamp.
The economy series did not have a top clamp.
Bob

If the lock pin in good shape it should clamp the insert and the holder can be run without the top clamp.
The economy series did not have a top clamp.
Bob
So I grabbed a hex wrench and you are right, rotating the lock pin clamped the insert in place. So I presume the clamp is there for backup or heavy cutting loads. Thanks for the information.

Back