What's new
What's new

PM Kurt Vise Jaw Maker—-still making them? What’s his name/contact?

dgfoster

Diamond
10 or 15 years ago I bought a set of well-made jaws for my then-new Kurt Dx6:equivalent vise. I think they were made by a PM member in California. I tried to search and find him and his after-market jaws. But, I could not find him nor can I remember his name. His jaws had a generous horizontal v-groove as well as a good-sized vertical center v-groove. A friend would like to buy jaws similar. Anyone know whom I am talking about? Failing that, other good recommendations?

His vise is a DX6. Thanks in advance.

Denis

Does Stan Dornfield ring a bell? If so, he was getting up in age when I had an email exchange with him in 2016 and he was having a bad time with technology then. He still had some of his Quad vices back then and I tried to get him in touch with a PM member that was wanting to buy one of the original US made Quad vices but by then Stan was having an even worse time with technology and I could not get them together.
If this is the right name, I can provide email and a phone number that was in use in 2018.

Does Stan Dornfield ring a bell? If so, he was getting up in age when I had an email exchange with him in 2016 and he was having a bad time with technology then. He still had some of his Quad vices back then and I tried to get him in touch with a PM member that was wanting to buy one of the original US made Quad vices but by then Stan was having an even worse time with technology and I could not get them together.
If this is the right name, I can provide email and a phone number that was in use in 2018.
I think that Stanley may have been the guy. It sounds like the chances of getting a new set from him now is not good. The ones I got from him were/ are excellent.

Thanks for the info!

Denis

It's amazing how lately...more and more....guys who were making good stuff and had been around forever are ...gone. It would be much more courteous if they were to make a whole bunch extra of whatever they made before they checked out so the supply didn't dry up.

It's amazing how lately...more and more....guys who were making good stuff and had been around forever are ...gone. It would be much more courteous if they were to make a whole bunch extra of whatever they made before they checked out so the supply didn't dry up.
It seems that Stan had a fair inventory of stuff when he quit working but that senility thing kept him from getting back to us .I contacted one of the moderators back then to see if we could make it easier for him to log in, but there was little interest in helping him out. I would have been glad to see him back even if he repeated himself and made typos often. I am getting old enough I sort of resemble that myself.

GregSY,

You are right about that! I am 74 years old and arguably the one of the very few people in North America actually casting, stocking, and machining a variety of camelback straight edges and the only maker of prism/parallel/ level combination metrology tools. (There are a few other guys out there who seem to have little or no stock---it is harder for them as they have to farm out casting and competent reliable foundries are hard to come by--- and one company that sells precision ground large parallels but no raw castings.) I have often thought about trying to make some extra stock for my family for the day I simply don't wake up. Not morbid about it. But reality is reality. And the other reality is that it is hard to get ahead on the inventory more than a having 1or 2 of most (but not all) models available. I am having a good time of it now though as designing and casting are complex, challenging, and interesting puzzles to continue to piece together. And so far I have been very lucky to be sound enough to engage in it. Right now I am completing tooling for a brand new design. Good times. Idle musings....

Denis

McMaster-Carr has some that look close to what you are describing.

McMaster-Carr has some that look close to what you are describing.

Yes, thank you. There are a number of makers on the market. I was just wanting to buy again from this PMer as the jaws were of such good quality and they seemed reasonably priced at the time as well.

Denis

Found some aluminum V-jaws on ebay. Not sure if this is what you are after or not.

The ones Stanley made and I am looking for would be similar in style but hardened and ground steel.

Thanks. For a non-marring lower precision setup the aluminum jaws would be great.

Denis

Those Snapjaws are hardened and Ground Steel. Probably the closest to what you want commercially available. Also I really like the addition of the tapped holes for stops.

Back