What's new
What's new

What is a good brand for a come-along?

Harbor Freight, BY FAR! (Joking) [Edit: I do keep a Harbor Freight come-a-long in the bed of my truck, though and it's still working fine after probably 5 or 6 years of use.]

@true temper I'd never thought about putting Amsteel on a come-a-long. Not a bad idea. Beats the hell out of getting "jaggers" in your hands from the steel cables. I might have to pick some up. Smallest I have is 5/8" Dyneema.

I looked up the TirFors- and they look good- although I prefer the cast aluminum of the LugAll to the stamped sheet metal. But pricewise, the TirFors are pretty steep- the 2 ton seems to be around 1200 pounds, and if I wanted one here, its over 3000$ on US Amazon- which really just means we probably dont have a US distributor.
For the money, I will stick with my LugAlls.
My wife once did a project where she hung a dozen 2" diameter ropes, a hundred plus feet long, off the LAX control tower, and we used a dozen LugAlls to tension them all the same. They were up there for something like 15 years.

The Trifors look like the bee's knees but very pricey and the size might make it an issue in getting into tight spots.

The Lug-All looks like what I should get. For the moment I will just keep an eye out for it on Auctions.

For the time being I am looking to yank things into and out of my truck bed, and into and out of my storage garage. Had to physically move a 500lb transformer into my pickup bed recently, and did it by lifting one side and moving it side to side until it was all the way back.

I looked up the TirFors- and they look good- although I prefer the cast aluminum of the LugAll to the stamped sheet metal. But pricewise, the TirFors are pretty steep- the 2 ton seems to be around 1200 pounds, and if I wanted one here, its over 3000$ on US Amazon- which really just means we probably dont have a US distributor.
For the money, I will stick with my LugAlls.
My wife once did a project where she hung a dozen 2" diameter ropes, a hundred plus feet long, off the LAX control tower, and we used a dozen LugAlls to tension them all the same. They were up there for something like 15 years.
The big Tirfor’s case was made from cast aluminium. I’ve never used one of the small ones. You still knew you’d done a days work if you’d spent it winching machines around with one.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
IDK if these are any good, and I don't know for sure to what degree that these are made here or not, but I have to think that they doo build something here as they have a pretty good sized shop next county over. ???

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have Little Mule Hoists at work, because that's what I have in my own shop, and I got tired of using cheap junk (and fearing for my life)

I like the yale or cm link chain unit.
I could barely read the lever to adjust lift or drop load. So I painted blue for up to the sky and green for down to the ground.
Bill D

Back