What's new
What's new

Zerk oiler issues

mwill135

Aluminum
I’m in the process of putting my BP series one step pulley back together and have a question about the zerks on the saddle. I’ve flushed the lines and cleaned the zerks but can’t get the way oil to transfer through. I’m using the the “push lube” system from H and W. Previous owner had of course used grease but I’ve managed to get that out. In fact if I take the zerk out and put way oil in the threaded hole it comes out all the distribution holes freely. The problem seems to be the push lube pump cannot generate enough force to depress the ball. I can do it manually with a small pick. So I don’t think the zerk is stuck or clogged (I’ve soaked and flushed them with compressed air). How do you guys oil the ways? Thanks

Take your zerk fittings off and soak them in your favorite degreaser for a couple of days. It can take a while to penetrate that old dry grease. Then you can also use some thin wire and see if the grease has hardened in the feed holes in the castings. If that doesn’t work you might need to remove the table and clean. Make sure you turn down your compressor regulator before you try blowing anything out.

I had soaked them in mineral spirits, they are clean. The problem is the pressure it takes to overcome the ball bearing/spring on the zerk

Remove the zert and see if you can pump oil through it without it screwed into your housing. If it won't replace the zert. I modified a small gun style grease gun (made an end for it with an o-ring seal) and that has plenty of power to pump oil through. So, if you can't pump oil through a new zert that isn't screwed into the housing, you need a better gun with more pumping power.

I guess you could try removing the ball/spring and use the zert that way, but the oil may very well just flow back out after you remove the gun.

Ted

To remove any question about being a clean path through the fitting. Use lacquer thinner and press the balls in several times. After than they will be real clean.

Back