What's new
What's new

OT: 2nd Catalytic converter stolen.

daryl bane

Titanium
2nd time in 3 yrs. I have heard it takes a rather large operation to reclaim whatever precious metal are in one of these. I think this is not some fly by night thug deal. This was in a well gated covered parking lot. At this point , hot lead is the only remedy.

Before going the hot lead route, you might etch your name and vin number on the new convertor. That makes them hard to sell.
I have to kill varmints at night on the ranch and there are so many hours nothing happens. You put out trail cameras and you think it will be easy to catch the critters because you see them so often. Then you log the time when there is nothing out there. Just an accident when you actually catch something.
Lot easier to make it complicated or worthless to steal,

I have heard this, but it seems to be a bigger operation that will bypass thru multiple sources. I have heard that there has been federal laws passed, but of course..nobody to enforce it.

2nd time in 3 yrs. I have heard it takes a rather large operation to reclaim whatever precious metal are in one of these. I think this is not some fly by night thug deal. This was in a well gated covered parking lot. At this point , hot lead is the only remedy.
Thieves don't reclaim the metals themselves. They just take the cat to the scrap yard and get paid.

When you get your replacement, stamp a unique Serial # on it somewhere in large letters. Make it look like a factory mark - something a thief wouldn't think to remove. Take video of yourself applying this number and have a witness sign an affidavit stating that they saw you do it.

No one can take something to a scrap yard and get paid for it without the yard getting a copy of your driver's license. If it ever gets stolen again, call all of the scrap yards within 50 miles let them know to look out for it. Send them an email with pics for reference. You should have done this after the first cat was stolen, at least then the potential exists to prosecute the thief.

Next, is to realize that something about your vehicle is making it a target. It could be the design of the vehicle, the length of time you leave it parked or the location within that lot in which you park it. Gotta figure what that is and change it.

Edit: just saw fredc beat me to it.

Used to be the said engrave your social security number. Now they say engrave your drivers license and state. The cops can look up a license number and contact you

No one can take something to a scrap yard and get paid for it without the yard getting a copy of your driver's license.
I don't think all states have that law yet, and with enough cats making a road trip could still be profitable.

Scrap yards know which catalytic converters have more precious metals, and pay accordingly, so the make and model of your vehicle could be the reason it is a prime target.

I would think a machinist could come up with something more secure than a rebar cage.

Not sure what the question is here...

But, my co-worker had his 2020 F-250 diesel converter stolen. Converters hard to get new. Plus the oxygen sensors are mounted to it, so needed those new, too. Towing. By the time the dust settled, just under $8K repair bill.

Shops are in on it too. Just helped a lady last week, traveling CA to NH. Stopped in Las Vegas because she thought her van was running a little rough. Guy replaced 'both' of her catalytic converters (vehicle only had one) for $1200. The reality: one shiny new bypass pipe. Van still 'sounds funny' to her, maybe because its now short an O2 sensor as well. Creeps abound.

So I just put in a flexible exhaust pipe w/o the catalytic converter. I can't get a inspection sticker, but at this point "I don't give a rat's ass". The city police have stated they don't have the funds and won't ticket minor offenses like this, so here we are 2022 , 3rd world.

I had both of mine stolen then a few weeks later they tried again but was stopped by a coworker so they only got my exhaust cut in one spot. The thief said he was just checking his tire and my coworker didn't know they had started on my truck already so the thief just drove off.

Drove it home after work and pulled it apart so I could weld the pipe back up. I decided to TIG weld STOP THIEF along with my phone number on both cats. I used stainless wire so even if its ground off you should still be able to read it. I doubt it will do any good and will probably shorten the life of the cats but helps me sleep at night.

Edit: Another coworker had his stolen. Luckily another guy had a camera going in his truck and in a perfect spot. He got everything in the video, the color and make of the car, person doing the crime, plate numbers ect. Police came and said they didn't want to even see the video but would run the plate numbers. They came back stolen and was told that's all they can do.

Last edited:
I had both of mine stolen then a few weeks later they tried again but was stopped by a coworker so they only got my exhaust cut in one spot. The thief said he was just checking his tire and my coworker didn't know they had started on my truck already so the thief just drove off.

Drove it home after work and pulled it apart so I could weld the pipe back up. I decided to TIG weld STOP THIEF along with my phone number on both cats. I used stainless wire so even if its ground off you should still be able to read it. I doubt it will do any good and will probably shorten the life of the cats but helps me sleep at night.

Edit: Another coworker had his stolen. Luckily another guy had a camera going in his truck and in a perfect spot. He got everything in the video, the color and make of the car, person doing the crime, plate numbers ect. Police came and said they didn't want to even see the video but would run the plate numbers. They came back stolen and was told that's all they can do.
Where?

Human nature...my co-worker, after two weeks without his truck and having all the headaches of dealing with police reports, insurance companies, and being stranded 150 miles from home tells me he's heard of cat converter theft prevention shields that people install. I look it up on the internet and send him a link for the only one I could find, admittedly pricey at $800. He takes one look at it and says, "Too expensive. If they steal it again, I'll just let the insurance pay for it again...."

Now,,,for me...$800 would money well spent to NOT have to go through all that, but....

Sorry if you got hit. Someone cut almost* through both sides of one cat on an NPR I had been leaving out of the yard overnight a few months ago. I noticed it after I found a cheap Sawzall blade laying in the dirt a few feet from the truck. I just stopped being lazy, and made room to pull it back in the yard before going home that day.

I can't imagine crawling under any of our vehicles to etch or weld anything to them as a good use of my time. The thieves are crawling under there quick to steal the cat from your car, there not going to check it first or give a damn either...there is always a shady scrap yard that will buy anything. You would have a better bet stopping them by hanging some cut pieces of exhaust tube under your car, so when they glance up under there they think someone beat them to it.

The cat's have been bought by private people who drive around for a long time afaik. I had a few laying around and got the number from my scrap hauler for a traveling buyer. He showed up a week or two later with a van, paid like $100 a cat for some OEM Lexus cats and offered $5 for a brand new aftermarket unit so I just kept that one. (that guy seemed like a decently honest operation, but likely skirting around some epa or state regulations to get a better return on the cats I would think)

I remember a show I watched about a guy in NYC who would pay a crew to run around and steal airbags from cars, and then he advertised that his mechanic shops he owned could replace your airbag. Something like that. Selling people back their own stolen airbags. I wouldn't doubt some of that goes on too with cats.

Last edited:
What about just removing your cat yourself and welding in a straight pipe? Keep your muffler of course. For the o2 sensors you can get these little threaded bushings called "nonfoulers" that change the mounting location of your o2 sensors and trick the computer into not throwing codes. Plus you'll recoup some horsepower. Especially on a turbocharged motor.

This is all assuming your state allows this, of course. ;)

I'd hazard a guess that no salvage yard would know if they had your exact converter.
After paying $200~$500 for it, they're sure not going to voluntarily give it back, either.

Back