What's new
What's new

Rehiring an employee who quit?

The funniest part was the partners Col and Paul had sold out for $20M ,and when Col heard I quit ,he wanted me to come and work on his collection of old machinery ......for nothing!............thats how ya get rich!

If the guy is a good worker and takes a sabbatical every 4 years, so what.
Agreed - it's not like the guy is doing this every few months. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side, but a lot of times you won't know that until you've jumped over the fence.

Sounds like he's at least a halfway decent employee - if he was a knucklehead, this would be your opportunity to be rid of him. But can't blame the guy for maybe wanting something different every once in a while.

I agree. First time maybe a forgivable mistake, second time a bad habit that needs to be corrected.
To be fair thought he first quit on year 4, then came back, now has quit on what you could consider year 6 or year 10 depending on how you look at it. These days a lot of folks swap jobs every 2-3 years anyway. What they often lose in the bargain is 401k vesting...some of it anyway. Might be a good idea to create a policy and follow it strictly as far as what happens on rehire. Creating an on the spot policy for just one individual seems arbitrary. I agree walking back in the door should not be as easy as walking out ;-).

Bill

A decent worker who skips for a couple of weeks every 4 years..and gives you a two-week notice is a pretty good guy.
The guy off the street may break a machine and then walk in three days.

You don't spite your shop to teach someone a lesson.
Good, I'm glad you came back, you can start next Monday.
Beats, You dirty bugger and worthless bum next time you may not have a job.

Last edited:
He probably won't come back. It's a very rare thing to happen. There are reasons why he left a second time.

I know I wouldn't come back a second time even if I didn't like the new job.

Two years ago I left a shop because the pay was not what the market was paying for what they wanted me to do. I did not like the new job I took and knew it within the first week that it wasn't for me. They sold me something completely different and I got stuck running high volume production in a Haas lathe.

At the time I was still speaking with a couple of ex coworkers and told them that I was not happy at the new job. One of them told my old boss and he called me to come back. We worked out a deal with a substantial pay bump and I came back sic weeks after I left. If I were to leave again for whatever reason, I know I am not coming back. And I don't think an employer should take someone back a second or third time either.

Sounds like the guy tried to handle the responsibilities of the big shop a second time and still could not handle it. A very good chance that he will not try again.
He might even tell the other five guys how tough it is to work in a too many rules shop.

I think in todays world it is the call of the employer for sure. I have seen many times in the past where Machinists have returned to their former shop. It is proof that they still can work with that Employer or that they feel that they can. The employee is a known employee ”warts and all“ and it boils down to the Employer understanding the new situation and their willingness to choose a course of action.

There can be regrets or success in any case. I have seen most of the time that it can work out well for the short term say about one to two years or in some cases the employee returns and stays for a long time.

Regardless whether a Employer must layoff or fire or whether the employee feels they must move on neither should take offense much and the employee should leave as professionally as possible showing proper respect.

Place I used to work would remember your job, seniority, etc. for a short amount of time, I think it was 90 days or something like that. If you didn't come back with your tail between your legs in that amount of time, you were interviewing fresh. I knew a couple guys who had left and come back, one within the grace period, one with several years of other employment in between. Multi-billion $$$ Tier 1 automotive place, FWIW.
I think they should encourage you to be gone a little while longer. I work with a really good boomerang employee. He left for greener grass and when he didn't find it he came back with a better appreciation and attitude for what he had.

My son's shop a roofing company where he is a mechanic and makes about $62per with hourly pay and annual and bonus has a policy that if you are a worthy worker you can come back if you have not already been replaced as long as you don't go to another roofing company. This is because techniques are golden to such an outfit Guys are told this up front."We pay top money and try to be fair about everything, If you have a gripe/problem come to the office and talk about it before quitting."

Companies who think they own somebody are a shame. If you are not paying top money and bennies you should expect people to walk, and it is smart to hire back the guys who are good workers.

OT: Kmart wanted multiple buildings roofed and insisted that two companies share the job. Matts company suggested that they could make a better bid doing the whole job.
They shared the job, and each company tried to not give away secrets so the job took longer and the bids were higher. Smart K-mart people know more about roofing than a roofing company, and so ended up in the dumpster. Likely they made Dumb decisions /assumptions in more than roofing.

Last edited:
If everyone stayed at the same shop there would be pretty limited knowledge transferred between the "old ways of doing it" and whats relevant today. Every time I meet a new employee I cant wait to pick his brain on tooling and workholding and fixturing to see how others do it. So if someone wants to leave and come back I hope they bring back more skills than they left with.

I wouldn't take an employee back for the 2nd time. The first time, ok....Second chances are reasonable.

I find it wildly disrespectful to be used as a plan B, and I would make him own that decision.

At a minimum I wouldn't hire back at the same rate/position. There would have to be some sort of message sent that says this behavior is not going to be accepted going forward.

No one here is saying this is the preferable thing. But wishing the world is one way when it is not does not get you far in business
You know what gets you far in business?
Having competent employees
If this employee, with their flaws, is better than whoever else is out there, then you rehire them in a heartbeat
You know what gets you nowhere in business?
Holding grudges

Since the OP is only a shop of six guys , you can't blame the management lol.
Also like others have said could be family reasons for leaving etc.
On the other hand I have done interviews with clinical sociopaths so maybe he was lied to in his interview. Some places near me can offer all the money in the world, their reputation is so tarnished no one will take the risk to go there that is in the know.

Many years ago I sat in an interview with a guy who had ot read my resume and as he struggled to speed read he asked
"why do you want to leave xxxx....don't answer that question"
Some places do indeed get a reputation, although I would not have replaced the experience at that particular company, but it could be an, errr, interesting place to work

We understand that people have to do what's best for themselves, and sometimes as a business we can't offer better compensation than the other job they are offered. So long as they don't burn bridges, they can resume their job, if the work is still available.
One worker has flip flopped too many times to be worth rehiring for his skill level, and another gave no notice when he left and won't be hired back if his new job doesn't work out

As most said ...

I would add..
If employees You want leave after 6-8-10 years,
(so they are skilled and experienced, no ?),
who have been doing satisfactory work,
(as otherwise they would have been replaced, no ?)

You are probably not paying enough.
My 0.02€.
Find a way to pay them more, like extra hours or incentive programs linked to work profits.
If everyone else also wants the incentive programs, tell them Hell Yes.

10% extra work hours and 10% more productivity per person will probably increase your total *net* profits by 20-50%.
Give the employees say half of the extra profit.
Watch productivity soar,
net profits soar,
and morale increase unbelievably.

You could probably increase net profits by 1500$/p/ month, and give the workers 800$.
x 6 ==> 4200$ extra net per month for you.

Back