What's new
What's new

Recommended lathe tooling insert type

I have to say that since trying insert tooling I have not really strayed from the TNMP inserts that I started with.
Here's what I have been doing, right wrong or indiferrent.
-331 for the sharper cutting corner and general turning in the unknown metals I sometimes put in the chuck. I start with this. If I see that it really not right I switch to negative rake uncoated cutters to get some progress and a feel for what is going on but sometimes I still do clean up passes with the TNMP's...after cutting through the hard crust of an unknown steel.

Funny that the more you use the same insert the better you get at making changes to feeds and speeds. (watch those chips! and know what to look for!)

-332 for a softer radius on known metals or finish passes. I've had good results in all the "easy to machine" metals with these so I'm a fan and sticking with them for my machine.

I've got some -333 now but I haven't used yet. Seems like I can always get the finish I am after with the others but I grabbed some for a rainy day.

I usually stick to passes around .02-.045 DOC and for you 16" ers.... I keep the gear box on the far left and use the bottom three feeds for almost everything. That keeps my idler lubed and I just adjust the belt on the cone to make the right chip. I am happy to be told this is not the way but it seems to work for me doing one offs and bespoke parts for my needs.

When I get to some weird result that isn't doing what I expect it's usually a dull cutter.

Resurrecting a thread I started almost 3 years ago. . .

A lot of good info in here, but as I freshen up on research. . . well my eyes start bleed, and my head is cracking open :D. Sweet Jesus, there is so many variables.

Honestly, in this life, I will probably never do all the math and get geometries, feeds and speeds perfect. I grab what I think will work, if I have poor results, I try something else, change speed, feed, angle or whatever I can till I get a desired result.

I don't really do anything I would consider fancy on a lathe. I'd say predominately shafts, bushings, and boring for bushings. I may experiment more, or do more interesting things later. But most I consider pretty straight ahead. Materials I cut are usually cast, bronze, or one form of steel or another.

I am looking to casually shop and acquire 1" holders and inserts. If its like WNMG I'm thinking 1/2" insert size.

Which tools, with which shape, and which direction are you guys using most often ? Common inserts ?

Also if you look at diamond shape, square, and triangle. . . feeding the point straight into work. . . Do you have a preference ? It would seem square might have an advantage, as you would have 2 extra corners over triangle, for longer insert life. . . anything else I'm missing ?

Does anyone have an opinion on Stellram holders ? Where are they made ? Considering MSDNN164D.
Hey Texas, I'm still kicking and wanted to join in. All of this can be confusing especially when you get a insert code number or a tool holder code number and it doesn't match the ANSI or ISO code charts. My lathe came with a 3/4" shank Triangle insert which is negative, TAR-12-3 is stamped on the shank. It does not exist. I find it to be a great turning tool for both roughing in with deep cuts or as a finish tool. I think if I were to give it a code number it would be this:
PTGNR 12-5 (B or C) at the end. Here's the code sheet I went by and a picture of my tool holder.

Codes Tool Holder Boring Bar.gif
Once again I have to figure how to make my pictures smaller to send. At least I got the chart copied.
TAR-12-3 .01.gifTAR-12-3 .03.gif

Last edited:
I have purchased a lot of import tooling and inserts off Aliexpress and eBay. I'm talking turning, facing, boring, internal and external threading, left hand tools for my fly-cutters, inserted milling cutters, you name it. It has all been of good quality, none of it has disappointed. The tools are well made with hardened shanks. I don't claim that the inserts are as good as the name brands, but at $1 each or less I have no complaints. I could never have afforded to tool my shop like this if I was limited to the name brands.
tool rack small.jpg
fly-cutters small.jpg
face mill small.jpg

I think the most used insert type is C although almost nobody uses the 100 degrees other sides. They wouldn’t even have an appropriate holder. Most machinists waste too much. The throw-away mentality prevails.

There are milling cutters that use the 100 degree side, but they are few and far between.

You'd think, given how many inserts are being tossed, that there's be more demand for these.

A fly cutter would be useful, too.

As far as my inserts, I came from using an @tlas, so positive rake was the name of the game.

I started with a bunch of plain positive rake triangular inserts.

My dad gave me some CCMT inserts with sharp edges that did so much better.

Also got some positive rake V type for getting into tight places.

Now that I have a 9" South Bend, I'm not sure yet if I can go into negative-rake territory.

If I had to start all over, yea, I might go with the W, but I can tell you that there are LOT more CC and CP inserts out on ebay at cheaper prices (even cheaper prices per edge) than W, so C is still cheaper.

There are milling cutters that use the 100 degree side, but they are few and far between.

You'd think, given how many inserts are being tossed, that there's be more demand for these.

A fly cutter would be useful, too.

I bought a left-hand cutter to use the "free" corners on the CCMT09 inserts in my large fly cutter. It's an SCKCL1212H09, which I milled down to fit the cutter. I looked for one that would use the smaller CCMT06 inserts for my smaller fly cutter, but no luck.

20221114_133700.jpg

I recently bought a bunch of tooling that had 15-20 insert tool holders . Sandvik, Kennametal,Interstate , Carboly & Valentine . WHen I did my search for what insert alot of them were dead ends . Anyone have any sources for old insert holders ?
thanks
animal

I recently bought a bunch of tooling that had 15-20 insert tool holders . Sandvik, Kennametal,Interstate , Carboly & Valentine . WHen I did my search for what insert alot of them were dead ends . Anyone have any sources for old insert holders ?
thanks
animal
Use the resources at Carbide Depot:
to see the insert specs on your toolholders.

Then match those specs to the insert designation chart.

Post something here (pic of the holder and the code on it) if you want some specific help.

Steve

Thanks , I'll print that off & see if I can find any matches next time iI get over there . If I can't find any matches I'll start a new thread .
thanks
animal

Back