What's new
What's new

Weiler e35 for 4”dia 30” long 17-4 1100ht pump shafts? Asking too much?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
As the title says. Want to take on some ss work that would repeat. Need a small foot print lathe with enough z travel.
I had ran the e35 for about 5 years , 17 years ago now. But one has popped up for sale near me right when my need is arising.
I only did one shaft this size in that lathe and had chatter troubles, but my understanding of the fundamentals was poor way back.

Any input? I don’t need a speed daemon. Justreliable without scraping parts.
Anything else in a similar footprint/capability CNC (no haas tl lathes. Not a fan)

Ya it’s gonna be old. 2000 maybe? But oh the nastalgia! Loved that lathe as an apprentice

Have a look at the Romi flat bed machines.
Have an M 17 that I like very much.
Current model is M420 I believe. Siemens control (M17 has Fanuc 21i
Much better than average fit and finish.
M17 has “guide” easy programming setup. Very easy to program w/wo G code.

Cheers Ross

Have a look at the Romi flat bed machines.
Have an M 17 that I like very much.
Current model is M420 I believe. Siemens control (M17 has Fanuc 21i
Much better than average fit and finish.
M17 has “guide” easy programming setup. Very easy to program w/wo G code.

Cheers Ross
What’s the footprint like?
I’m looking to squeeze it into my 22x22 garage and already got a vmc and slant bed +support equipment. Space is a premium!

Weiler is 90” long 54” deep with no screens sticking out to get in the way.
The depth gets important as a machine that’s too wide takes up too much of the middle floor space I need to work.
Truly an engine lathe would be the ticket but I hate the idea of hot chips flying around in my home. Fire scares me!!

I’ve seen some romi but never ran them. They look like nice machines and a good price point if I remember correctly. Weiler seem very $$$$.

The M17 footprint is 108x48 , think the current C420 is the same.
When i was in the market (some years back) the Weiler was double the cost of my M17.

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Don't know if you found a lathe yet. From AlfaGTA's post and recommendations I bought a 2000 Romi M17. My space is at a premium also. I put mine where the back is against the garage door so I wouldn't lose any area to get at the back. Still getting used to it. I work 12 hour days but even though it's 6 feet away finding time to get familiar is at a premium. It sits 2 feet away from a Fadal VMC3016.

Attachments

• 47974.jpeg
    47974.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 8

Back