What's new
What's new

.040 slitting saw cut need input please

RicktheStick

Plastic
Hi All

I have 25 cuts to make 14.754 x .040 x .600 deep slots to put into 2 pieces 6061 al (2.165 wide) heat sink I believe but with tight tolerance.

I have a 2in x.040 carbide slitting saw 40 teeth

Manufacture suggest 1500 SFM AND .001 CHIP = 2925 RPM X 117 IPM they say 5x width depth of cut = .200 so 3 passes per slot.

does this sound right ?

I was thinking maybe 750rpm x 10ipm at full depth maybe 1/2 depth conventional cut (chip spends less time in slot)

WHAT DO ALL YOU SLOTTING GURUS THINK ?

Rick

I would go full depth 2500 rpm 20 Ipm to start..climb cut..see how it sounds, then bump up the feed, If the fins are close together you may need to slide a shim in the previous slot to dampen harmonics.

Robjack makes some good saws

I would think a pitch of 0.157 per tooth is too tight (and carbide too unforgiving) to get crazy in nonferrous.
One chip doesn't get washed away, and BAM!

Something hollow ground, with 6-12 teeth will cut much more freely in aluminum.
Something like this, if you can find the 0.040" face width.
https://www.rockrivertool.com/assets/images/products/2550.jpg

Agreed, 40 teeth is too much for that size saw.
Been there, busted em in half.

I just use plain old HSS jewelers saws for that type of slot. I’d probably start at 2500 RPM and 10 inches a minute. You’ll be able to hear how it sounds. If you turn them too fast they melt the aluminum and things go bad fast. I use a fairly coarse pitch blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well both slotters went bang in the cut. They both started sounding really good in fact could hardly hear them. 1st try was full depth climbing got about 1/2 in maybe just fully engaged then boom , looks like chips packed. 2nd try conventional 1/3 depth got about 7in then boom, once again looks like chips pack.
So then the boss tells me to use end mills, I says yes sir :)7 !!! Set up 5 carbide 3 flute .04 end mills of increasing length of clearance but only .060 LOC (only cut .02 a pass) wrote the program pushed the green button then went home for the weekend got in Monday then left Monday night still running I think the total was around 95 hours. NO end mills broke but they did walk off enough to see at the ends of each slot maybe .01 on exit ends

Back