What's new
What's new

0t--cable lacing

j-holland

Aluminum
production machines have many feet of power and control cables--my experience in parting out machines leads me to judge japanese layout and bundle tying as the most consistent and artistic

in USA two competing systems for securing cables are promoted-Chicago stitching and
Kansas City stitching

Can you still buy the waxed string for lacing? I bought some at a yard sale from a retired phone guy. I gave it to my wife for her head starters to learn to tie knots. Found out the wax failed after just a few tries. Works fine if you already know how to tie a knot.
Bill D

An electronics mentor of mine used waxed dental floss. I'm not sure of the technique he used, but he produced very finely detailed harnesses which were difficult to modify. I respect the craft and aesthetic of cable lacing, but I use zip ties.

Last edited:
Can you still buy the waxed string for lacing? I bought some at a yard sale from a retired phone guy. I gave it to my wife for her head starters to learn to tie knots. Found out the wax failed after just a few tries. Works fine if you already know how to tie a knot.
Bill D
Try a boating supply house, ex West Marine. Or try Sailrite. Sailors use waxed twine for whipping and many other marlinspike tasks.

Yes you can still buy it- several styles come to mind- the flat stuff used for communication cables and also the round cord used on vintage cars and aircraft. You can also buy the dope to finish the ends. Just Google or search for "wire lacing cord". Lots of sources out there.
Harness Lacing.jpg

Back